Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint and PPF around San Antonio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 06:41 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tint and PPF around San Antonio?

Sorry if it’s the wrong section. This is my first thread on this forum.

Ill hopefully be picking up my car in July (991.2 TTS cab) from Porsche of San Antonio and was wondering if you guys would recommend I immediately take it over to a nearby reputable shop to get PPF, and tint done.

If so, anyone know of a good place in San Antonio for those services?

thanks in advance
Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 AM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I have used XPEL twice. They are headquartered in San Antonio. They also offer a discount for PCA members. I did not use their tint however, Also before taking either car was XPELed I sent the car to Concurs Auto Salon for a detail and paint correction. They also tinted the windows. Then had the XPEL done and back to Concours for Ceramic Coat. The dealership was awesome in moving the car back and forth between both of those business. I would do the same thing again in a heartbeat.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:05 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Originally Posted by Dbull65
I have used XPEL twice. They are headquartered in San Antonio. They also offer a discount for PCA members. I did not use their tint however, Also before taking either car was XPELed I sent the car to Concurs Auto Salon for a detail and paint correction. They also tinted the windows. Then had the XPEL done and back to Concours for Ceramic Coat. The dealership was awesome in moving the car back and forth between both of those business. I would do the same thing again in a heartbeat.
thank you very much for the information. If you don’t mind sharing with me how much each portion cost you, that would be great!

how was the quality and how is it holding up?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:15 AM
Dbull65
Racer

Detail was around 400, full front PPF was somewhere in the 2000, ceramic coat was somewhere around 900. All of these figures are off the top of my head. As for how well it holds up Well I live in the middle of the Eagle Ford Shale area. PPF is a must have for the car. Just the other day, I ran over a "Road Gator" broke one of the strakes that protect the driver sides radiator. There were black marks on the PPF, and some abrasions but the paint was fine.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:20 PM
RLH1968
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too, can attest to the work of Concours Auto Salon. They detail, paint correct, coat, PPF, and tint all of my vehicles, including my 991.1. They are the sole supplier for Ceramic Pro in SA. However, I usually have them apply Nanolex to my vehicles, since I don't hang on to them more than 2-3 years. I'm very pleased with Nanolex, but I can't comment on Ceramic Pro not having used it. Concours uses SunTek PPF and window film, which I prefer over XPEL (have used both). Both are excellent in terms of protecting the vehicle. I know EXPEL is a local SA company, but I know of instances of them not warrantying PPF on a couple of vehicles where the PPF was not orignally applied at the XPEL shop (citing inproper installation). I do not know the details of those specific cases, but I do know it did not sit well with the installer or the customers. Seems like a conflict of interest (my personal thought). If you go directly with EXPEL, there should be no issues. I go directly with Concours. This saves me significantly, since I don't have to absorb the dealership markup. Concours stands by their products and application, and I have never had any issues that were not corrected. Just one man's experience over the past 12 years (10+ vehicles). Hope this helps. Congrat's on the new ride. A 991.2 is in my near future.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:32 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Detail was around 400, full front PPF was somewhere in the 2000, ceramic coat was somewhere around 900. All of these figures are off the top of my head. As for how well it holds up Well I live in the middle of the Eagle Ford Shale area. PPF is a must have for the car. Just the other day, I ran over a "Road Gator" broke one of the strakes that protect the driver sides radiator. There were black marks on the PPF, and some abrasions but the paint was fine.
i really appreciate the breakdown. Sorry to hear about your incident but I’m glad the paint is fine. I know firsthand how difficult it is to blend paint when one part of the vehicle needs to be repainted.

I’m getting a cab so I was thinking of going full vehicle. I’m guessing it might be 3-4K which would be a steal compared to other pets of the country. Unsure yet about ceramic pro. Only certain right now about the window tints and PPF of full vehicle.

Wondering what the benefits of ceramic pro or nanolex would be if they’re applied on the PPF.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:39 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Originally Posted by RLH1968
I, too, can attest to the work of Concours Auto Salon. They detail, paint correct, coat, PPF, and tint all of my vehicles, including my 991.1. They are the sole supplier for Ceramic Pro in SA. However, I usually have them apply Nanolex to my vehicles, since I don't hang on to them more than 2-3 years. I'm very pleased with Nanolex, but I can't comment on Ceramic Pro not having used it. Concours uses SunTek PPF and window film, which I prefer over XPEL (have used both). Both are excellent in terms of protecting the vehicle. I know EXPEL is a local SA company, but I know of instances of them not warrantying PPF on a couple of vehicles where the PPF was not orignally applied at the XPEL shop (citing inproper installation). I do not know the details of those specific cases, but I do know it did not sit well with the installer or the customers. Seems like a conflict of interest (my personal thought). If you go directly with EXPEL, there should be no issues. I go directly with Concours. This saves me significantly, since I don't have to absorb the dealership markup. Concours stands by their products and application, and I have never had any issues that were not corrected. Just one man's experience over the past 12 years (10+ vehicles). Hope this helps. Congrat's on the new ride. A 991.2 is in my near future.
if I go expel I’d go the route recommended above since I’d be in the same city and do not want to drive back two hours to Austin with a “naked” turbo S. Even if I had to spend the night I wouldn’t mind. I’m a mil vet and PCA member so I might go with xpel for PPF then concours for tint if they take care of me. I had suntek on my M3 and it started peeling in a few months. But I think that was from poor installation since the installer stopped doing it a few months later.

Yes all comments help help so I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you! I hope you get it soon! It’s a phenomenal vehicle! I’m counting the days to July so I can pick it up.

Im a bit apprehensive though letting a shop take off body parts to install the film.

by the way, would a new vehicle that’s being delivered in July need paint correct immediately from the factory? Or is that for CPO or used vehicles only? Just wondering if I’d also need that to start scheduling ahead of time.

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2019, 03:40 PM
RLH1968
AutoX

Personally, I do not know the +/- of CP vs. Nanlex over the PPF. I'm sure Concours could provide insight on the topic.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:01 PM
RLH1968
AutoX

Wink

Originally Posted by Paliknight
if I go expel I’d go the route recommended above since I’d be in the same city and do not want to drive back two hours to Austin with a “naked” turbo S. Even if I had to spend the night I wouldn’t mind. I’m a mil vet and PCA member so I might go with xpel for PPF then concours for tint if they take care of me. I had suntek on my M3 and it started peeling in a few months. But I think that was from poor installation since the installer stopped doing it a few months later.

Yes all comments help help so I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you! I hope you get it soon! It’s a phenomenal vehicle! I’m counting the days to July so I can pick it up.

Im a bit apprehensive though letting a shop take off body parts to install the film.

by the way, would a new vehicle that’s being delivered in July need paint correct immediately from the factory? Or is that for CPO or used vehicles only? Just wondering if I’d also need that to start scheduling ahead of time.
I understand your concern about removing parts to install the PPF. However, I prefer it, since there are no edges to lift and dirt cannot get under the edges.

My personal opinion is that paint correction is beneficial. While the vehicles come protected, their paint is not perfect or near perfect. You'll never achieve perfection, but it will be significantly better. I also view it as a one-time cost prior to coating or PPF. That's one OCD person's opinion. That being said, you have to determine what is right for you, which is all that matters.

I've never had any window film issues with the SunTek. Sorry you had a different experience.

If you live in Austin (I was assuming SA), you may want to have the SA dealership handle it for you. Yes, it will cost more, but time/hassle is money, too. The dealership is very good, and I have always been satisfied with their service. (Matt is awesome - sales manager; and Coutney/John in service are phenomenol)

Thank you for your service. Much appreciated.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:14 PM
Dbull65
Racer

Yes, Porsche of San Antonio, will take care of everything. RLH is correct, The staff at SA are wonderful. Courtney always takes care of me as well. Also, when I brought my car in after hitting the "Road Gator", they recommended just buying the parts there and taking it to a body shop to have them pull the front bumper and replace the part. I would save me about $300 just in labor.

Quick Reply: Tint and PPF around San Antonio?