Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which colour would u choose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:35 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I bought a couple of sample sheets of this for a special project or two I am working on: https://www.apafilms.com/product/gloss-miami-blue/
Old 04-26-2019, 12:45 AM
Dtkf
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig N
I love Lava Orange. What’s the ballpark price of a full car wrap? Also how durable is it, like, would it survive for a few years or is more of just a temporary change?
Not sure bout US. I'm from Malaysia and car wrap here is cheap. 800 usd for everything with 2 years warranty. Dun need to b jealous tho as our cars r freaking expensive. Bout my used 16 Carrera s 991.2 for 165k usd haha
Old 04-26-2019, 03:53 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
It depends on the film that is used but figure about $5-8k on a 991 and it should last several years or more, depending on how it is cared for.
You can almost get a full permanent paint job for that....

I'm a big fan of wrap, but man would it be nice for some kind of magical tech to be introduced to massively lower the costs. Seems pretty much impossible in the real world as labor will always have to be a factor.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:45 AM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

sorry for my ignorance. but you can essentially wrap a car with any color these days?

and it looks good?

so if in a year or two, I wanted to change the color of my blue 911 GTS to a silver, I can do that?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by superdog
sorry for my ignorance. but you can essentially wrap a car with any color these days?

and it looks good?

so if in a year or two, I wanted to change the color of my blue 911 GTS to a silver, I can do that?
Yes, there are thousands of colors that you can choose from, from a number of manufacturers. Similar to selecting paint nowadays....
Looks Good? Well, that all comes down to the quality of the installation....
Vinyl wrap can be installed, left on for an hour, a day, or 5 years and you can remove it and replace with a different color, or just leave it off and return to your original paint color. If it was installed properly, without a lot of edge glues and trimming on the paint, your paint will look just as it did when you installed the wrap.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:56 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Lizard green.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:12 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Yes, there are thousands of colors that you can choose from, from a number of manufacturers. Similar to selecting paint nowadays....
Looks Good? Well, that all comes down to the quality of the installation....
Vinyl wrap can be installed, left on for an hour, a day, or 5 years and you can remove it and replace with a different color, or just leave it off and return to your original paint color. If it was installed properly, without a lot of edge glues and trimming on the paint, your paint will look just as it did when you installed the wrap.
great to know. Super for a squirrel brain like myself.

Thank you.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:04 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Voodoo of course
Old 04-26-2019, 11:06 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ZuffenHouseRules

This is 3M Intense Blue (not my car), closest match to Voodoo when I was looking last year.
no, voodoo is a bit darker
Old 04-27-2019, 11:30 AM
Agentorange
Pro

Received 554 Likes on 228 Posts

Mmmmmm....voooooodoooooo....mmmmmm
Old 04-29-2019, 06:15 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
would it be nice for some kind of magical tech to be introduced to massively lower the costs. Seems pretty much impossible in the real world as labor will always have to be a factor.
the new 'Liquid Wrap' technology is very compelling. It started as Plastidip type technology (which I wouldnt put on my paint) but the new tech is put on with 8-10 coats and can be done in gloss(autotech I think is the name). it can also be wetsanded to get a near paint finish (new tech is used by people that show their cars, can be a very nice finish).

Its about 1/3 the cost of a wrap and its sprayed on but it peels off like a wrap. Like anything sprayed it comes down to prep but a highly prepped car with all rubber taped/masked and the removeable parts like lights removed comes out really well done. I also like the fact that the major parts like bumpers and trim do not need to be removed so the chance of developing rattles because the installer didnt put everything back right is greatly reduced. it also can provide a more even finish on complex areas like GTS bumpers, etc. Ive seen wraps start to peel up in corners after a few heat cycles but a sprayed on wrap will give total coverage without the 'shrinkage' risk in corners.

this is mostly a color change technology and has its limitations. I think wraps will last a little longer and I think the liquid wraps can be susceptible to chemicals like a few gasoline spills, etc. Poor application seems to be the biggest risk with overspray, etc. just like a paint job.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:17 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Lava orange with black interior
Old 04-30-2019, 05:53 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93
the new 'Liquid Wrap' technology is very compelling. It started as Plastidip type technology (which I wouldnt put on my paint) but the new tech is put on with 8-10 coats and can be done in gloss(autotech I think is the name). it can also be wetsanded to get a near paint finish (new tech is used by people that show their cars, can be a very nice finish).

Its about 1/3 the cost of a wrap and its sprayed on but it peels off like a wrap. Like anything sprayed it comes down to prep but a highly prepped car with all rubber taped/masked and the removeable parts like lights removed comes out really well done. I also like the fact that the major parts like bumpers and trim do not need to be removed so the chance of developing rattles because the installer didnt put everything back right is greatly reduced. it also can provide a more even finish on complex areas like GTS bumpers, etc. Ive seen wraps start to peel up in corners after a few heat cycles but a sprayed on wrap will give total coverage without the 'shrinkage' risk in corners.

this is mostly a color change technology and has its limitations. I think wraps will last a little longer and I think the liquid wraps can be susceptible to chemicals like a few gasoline spills, etc. Poor application seems to be the biggest risk with overspray, etc. just like a paint job.
Interesting. That actually sounds pretty promising as it doesn't seem as "intrusive" as a wrap. And being cheaper is a huge boost as wrap charges are just nuts. One big catch to it would be if you can touch up little areas easily, as one inherent flaw to wrap is that if it gets scratched or damaged even a little, the only way to mend it is to replace the whole panels wrap, which can be costly.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:44 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
One big catch to it would be if you can touch up little areas easily, as one inherent flaw to wrap is that if it gets scratched or damaged even a little, the only way to mend it is to replace the whole panels wrap, which can be costly.
Thats a good question. Not sure

Autoflex is the name BTW, not autotech as I originally wrote

Quick Reply: Which colour would u choose?