Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing Canadian 991.2 Questions

Old 04-29-2019, 10:49 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Importing Canadian 991.2 Questions

I'm considering a 2017 991.2. It is a great build and I've been looking for some time for a car priced right with a good build sheet? The dealer is high line and will take care of everything including the need to change out the instrument cluster to mph from kph so it would be a fairly simple process for me as a customer. My question (s) are the following:

1) Is it just a bad idea overall to purchase a Canadian 991.2? And if so why?
2) If I follow through should I expect to pay less? This may be from lower desirability of what used to be called "grey" market or the dollar to Canadian exchange rate (seems like it favors US)?

Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-30-2019, 08:34 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewjn
I'm considering a 2017 991.2. It is a great build and I've been looking for some time for a car priced right with a good build sheet? The dealer is high line and will take care of everything including the need to change out the instrument cluster to mph from kph so it would be a fairly simple process for me as a customer. My question (s) are the following:

1) Is it just a bad idea overall to purchase a Canadian 991.2? And if so why?
2) If I follow through should I expect to pay less? This may be from lower desirability of what used to be called "grey" market or the dollar to the Canadian exchange rate (seems like it favours US)?

Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated
Andrewjn - the beautiful thing about purchasing a Canadian can and importing is that 1. the USD dollar is worth a good 1.3 x the CND (so a 30% discount for you) and 2. it's relatively easy to bring a car over the Canadian - USA border and simple swith the center digital speedo to miles. The warranty etc... is all honoured.

Some members may have done this but if you can't find anyone there are brokers that do this sort of thing, if you have limited time to work out all the details.

Good luck and keep in touch!
Old 04-30-2019, 08:47 AM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

If it is the perfect car for you, buy it and don’t look back. Could it affect resale, yes, but probably not if you swap out the instrument cluster. Also note that the climate control will be in celsius - unless that is easily changed. I’m a dual citizen and have moved cars to the US - no big deal. I traded my Range Rover in and the dealer did a full cluster swap out and sold it for just as much as a US car. We still have our Canadian MINI, and have left it completely metric.

Summary - the only potential down side is resale, and as Zeus993 said, you’re getting a 30% discount right now because of the exchange rate.

Let us know what you do.

Cheers
Old 04-30-2019, 03:03 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Jeez, we're hurting enough as it is with our paltry selection of used 911's in Canada. Took me 2 years to find the right car here!

In all seriousness, the currency difference certainly makes it an attractive option.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What tools do Canadians use to find used cars ? (i mean what is the Canadian equivalent of cargurus, autotempest, autotrader etc ? Just replace the .com with .ca ? )
Old 04-30-2019, 04:15 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by gulshan
What tools do Canadians use to find used cars ? (i mean what is the Canadian equivalent of cargurus, autotempest, autotrader etc ? Just replace the .com with .ca ? )
autotrader.ca is the main one here, Kijiji to a smaller extent

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Importing Canadian 991.2 Questions