Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand Controls on 991.2 (Paraplegic driver)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019 | 12:04 PM
Dissol
Advanced

Originally Posted by wesley_willis
This is so cool! Have these controls become more prevalent/easier to drive with modern drive by wire systems?

Super happy you're able to experience this type of freedom while driving! Good for you
I have seen kits that are directly plumbed into the electrics with modern drive by wire systems, but have yet to drive one. One benefit of doing it that way is that the foot pedals can then be disabled. I need to make sure my feet do not slip onto (or worse, under...ask me how I know!) the pedals. Another benefit is that the action tends to be lighter. Mine is done with rods, levers and cables. The fitting I have in the 911 is superior to any other that I have had, as I paid a bit extra for a more expensive kit so all the rods and cables are hidden under the cover around the steering column, and the cables are attached to the back of the pedals, so if someone else drives it using their feet, they don’t have a bracket to negotiate.

Yes, it is possible to drive just as quick (if not quicker!) with hand controls compared to using one’s feet. Indeed, I believe I have more “finesse” using my hands over my feet, so it is easier to add a little more or less throttle or brake and modulate in that fashion. It can become tiring on a long journey (I drive 1000miles up to Jo’burg each month), but the adaptive cruise control was one of the best options I chose.
The following users liked this post:
LooseNut (01-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Hand Controls on 991.2 (Paraplegic driver)