Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera T vs 991.1 GT3

Old 04-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Chioke
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 Carrera T vs 991.1 GT3

Hello everyone,

I've been a lurker here for a while and just wanted your advice on two perspective 911s, as the title suggests.

I am lucky enough to find myself in the position to get either a 991.1 gt3 or a Carrera t. The car will most likely be used as a weekend warrior/back road/canyon car, with maybe a track day or two each year. I have heard nothing but good things about the Carrera t, and love the fact that the model at my local Porsche center is configured with a manual transmission. My main concern is that this Porsche center configured it like a 911R (obviously without the gt3s engine). Why this is a concern is that it is only $10k (CAD) less than the two used 991.1 GT3s they have in stock, and the T has a good chunk a few options I would not have selected, namely the PCCBs. At this price, it seems like the T will take a much more significant hit than the GT3s would, whenever I trade it in for a 992 in a few years. Though there are next to no used 911 Ts for sale in Canada, so I cannot really gauge what sort of depreciation hit I would take.

The only things stopping me from immediately buying one of the GT3s (since they likely make more financial sense) is the low approach angle (my driveway is sloped at 10 degrees), and the fact that the GT3s are not in manual.

Am I crazy for trying to decide between two very different cars? Which one would you go with?

Sorry for all the newb questions, I look forward to reading the replies.

Cheers
Old 04-14-2019, 02:49 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

If you want a manual then a PDK won’t cut it, even if it is a GT3. You’re correct in your analysis that the GT3 won’t depreciate as much as a new T, however the most important thing is that you own the car you really want to be driving.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:13 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Apple and orange. The T is a daily driver that would be fun to take to the track. The GT3 a track car that you can use on the street. Porsche has made them superb for their primary purpose and damn good for their secondary purpose. If your concern is depreciation, look for an older car.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:31 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

It’s an impressive tribute to the Carrera T that so many enthusiasts and reviewers have felt compelled to compare/contrast it to the GT3. That’s pretty cool for a car that is just into 6 figures. I own and enjoy both. Like many, I prefer the Carrera T for road driving and my GT3 for track duty. Different cars with different foci and purposes.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:39 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

For me personally, I like the mid-range torque of a turbo engine for daily driving/weekend canyon carving. I like high rpm NA for track work. If the car will be predominately used on the street, I'd go with the T. It's easy enough to modify the T up to GT3 power if you want more power. I wouldn't consider depreciation. If that's REALLY an issue, then it makes no logical sense to buy any car that's less than 5 years old when cars start to reach the bottom flattening out of the curve.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:03 PM
Chioke
2nd Gear

Thanks for all of the responses so far! Depreciation is not the largest issue, enjoying the car is, I just like to minimize my losses. I am certainly not in this hobby to make any money (lord knows I haven't made a dime on my motorcycle collection ). From the comments so far, it seems like the T would be a good fit. My next question is, is it worth the $150k CAD price? (and if it is, hopefully, my SO won't hate the carbon buckets and silver exterior)
Old 04-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Normally I would be saying GT3. In this case, I am saying Carrera T. I don't trust the first gen 991.1 GT3 engine, with It's possible failures. Yes, it is warrantied for 10 years, but what happens after that. Go with the Carrera T engine that seems much more stout.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:13 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

GT3, unless you want luxury touring options such as PDCC, sunroof, ventilated leather seating, Bose or Burmeister, parking sensors and keyless entry. In that case, a T might make you happy, but lacks some of that. OTHERWISE, an S, X51 S, or GTS with PDCC, AWS, SPASM, SC and PSE would be the best.alternative to a GT3 for street use.
Oh, and the T will need a tune and the S an X51 PowerKit, to be a worthy street alternative to a GT3.

Last edited by PCA1983; 04-15-2019 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:19 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

GT3 usually would be a no brainer for me but only if 991.2GT3. In this case, I’ll take the T.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:31 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Chioke
Thanks for all of the responses so far! Depreciation is not the largest issue, enjoying the car is, I just like to minimize my losses. I am certainly not in this hobby to make any money (lord knows I haven't made a dime on my motorcycle collection ). From the comments so far, it seems like the T would be a good fit. My next question is, is it worth the $150k CAD price? (and if it is, hopefully, my SO won't hate the carbon buckets and silver exterior)
I have a 2005 CBR 600RR.... as much as I want a new bike, the damn thing cranks up every time and runs perfectly fine. Great track bike too. Personally, I'd go with the T. The power is so easily accessible on the street, you don't have to rev it to 5k-6k rpms to get it moving. The PCCBs are nicer for a street car because they don't dust. You could also just take off the rotors and put on steel rotors and new pads. Then when you go sell the car, put the PCCBs back on. I vaguely remember reading the PCCBs keep their value very well from a depreciation point of view, but my memory also isn't what it use to be, hahaha.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:25 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I’d get the GT3 and do about 30 track days a year. That will take care of your weekends.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:35 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

You want a manual, right? Then it should be an easy decision. If you are only planning to keep the car a few years before you move to a 992, then get the GT3. If you want to do right by the car, buy the T, use it as intended, and don't worry about the future.
I was also worried about my wife and the FBs. She actually loves them, and finds them even more comfy than 14-ways. So do I.
I love my PCCBs and would not hesitate to get them, especially for the intended uses you describe.
In spite of what is stated below, no offense, but the T is special to many of us. Either you get it, or you don't. If merely paying more for a car makes it special, then there you are...

Good luck!

ß

Last edited by S S; 04-14-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

GT3 is a special car, not so much T. It is your choice. I Prefer PDK over manual but that is me, if M/T is a must then T is your choice for that reason only.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I had a GT3. Great track car, but not so much for the road. Carrera T is my first choice for the road. If you decide on the GT3, you’re in luck because PAG made a ton of 991s.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:53 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

GT3 for countless reasons. Sound, emotion, specialness, coolness, etc. Another being it won't depreciate at near the rate, i.e much at all (eventually will go back up).

The only downside to me, other than less comfort and perhaps usability for a DD if you need that (i.e if it's not a true "toy/for fun purchase") is the apparent long term engine question. But Porsche put a 10 year warranty on it to convey their confidence (I would imagine failure rates are a fractional percentage of overall examples out there).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera T vs 991.1 GT3