Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Failure - 2013 991

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Seems a bit unusual that a 6 year old car had only 38k miles. That's only 6k per year and perhaps lots of city driving.

13k a lot of money, but I'm surprised its not more honestly.

I agree its crappy porsche NA didn't help out..

It drives with just 7th and R broken?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:12 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Crap situation for OP. I've been in similar situations and it's no fun.

I hate to say it - but this is a car years outside of warranty that was bought second hand. It would have been awesome if Porsche stepped up, but it was a long shot, IMO. I've had goodwill repair with BMW, but I was the original owner and the car history well established with a warranty that had only just expired.

I don't understand the concept of suing a multi-billion dollar company with an army of lawyers on salary for a broken part out of warranty.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:26 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
What would be the grounds for the lawsuit? Moreover, no lawyer will take this case on contingency. Almost any lawyer will charge you $200 an hour, and the best ones far, far more. OTOH Porsche has dozens of lawyers on their staff. So the threat of a lawsuit isn't going to intimidate Porsche.
I would argue on the grounds of an extreme failure at a very low mileage outside of the normal bell curve. Furthermore during discovery I would request information about other similar failures to prove a pattern and overlay that with goodwill repairs of other failures and the, likely, unscientific approach to granting goodwill and go from there. This is not a normal failure at this mileage. Would likely consult, but not use, an attorney due to the stated cost, and deal with this by myself.
Have won many small claims and there is always a way. At minimum continued pressure, terrible PR and high attorney costs to Porsche will be pleasant enough.

Goliath didn't go into battle expecting to lose to David either but we all know how that ended...
Old 04-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d

I hate to say it - but this is a car years outside of warranty that was bought second hand. It would have been awesome if Porsche stepped up, but it was a long shot, IMO. I've had goodwill repair with BMW, but I was the original owner and the car history well established with a warranty that had only just expired.

I don't understand the concept of suing a multi-billion dollar company with an army of lawyers on salary for a broken part out of warranty.
If you live in a state with a small claims court with a fairly high limit - $5000 or so- it would be worthwhile to file a suit without a lawyer and hope PCNA doesn’t appear and defaults. Otherwise, hiring a lawyer for a big boy lawsuit is throwing good money down the drain.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:53 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Given Porsche's replace, rather than repair, policy on engines and transmissions, even for minor component failures. I will never drive a Porsche without warranty coverage.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 599 Likes on 352 Posts

OP,

since porsche isn't going to help what do you plan to do? as others have said, this seems repairable given the symptoms. and if the right shop gets their hands on it, it might not be anywhere near 16k to address.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:11 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Just went through this entire thread, sorry to hear OP. I am in similar shoes being a similar age just buying a '14 991.1 out of warranty from a boutique Porsche shop a mile away from me (3.5k miles on a 5 year old car)

Just discovered a couple days ago that my rear glass needs to be replaced due to seal turning to goo, and maybe front windshield too. Conveniently right after getting my windows tinted at a high end shop. My issue pales in comparison to your PDK issue, it is a bummer and I hope PCNA can help in some way some how. That's the risk we run buying a 911 out of warranty, but the 911 also has a reputation for being robust and a car that is meant to be driven and enjoyed

PCNA did offer to help me a bit with my rear glass replacement, but I tried to make an argument that this issue is well documented & shouldn't be happening to any car with 3.5k miles

Haven't heard too much about PDK failures but also haven't searched for it. Thanks for documenting/reporting this as I didn't even know the PDK boxes failed, but hopefully as more people have to go through this the resolution gets better...

Porsche makes big claims over 70% of its cars still on the road, but now I am thinking at what secret cost! lol
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 PM
wesley_willis
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
OP,

since porsche isn't going to help what do you plan to do? as others have said, this seems repairable given the symptoms. and if the right shop gets their hands on it, it might not be anywhere near 16k to address.
Going to pay the full $14K + will likely buy an extended warranty; after warranty is up either reassess re-upping the warranty (if possible) and if not, will probably dump the car so I don't have to go through this again.

I love the 911 but next car will be dictated by life circumstances; if I don't buy another 911 I'll likely switch manufacturers.
The following users liked this post:
LLB (06-27-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:24 PM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you have the shop that's working on your car collect the PDK history data using the PIWIIS tool? It would be interesting to see what the vehicle recorded when you experienced the problem with reverse and 7th gear. There may be a fault code to help resolve the problem without shelling out so much cash.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:31 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by wesley_willis
Going to pay the full $14K + will likely buy an extended warranty; after warranty is up either reassess re-upping the warranty (if possible) and if not, will probably dump the car so I don't have to go through this again.

I love the 911 but next car will be dictated by life circumstances; if I don't buy another 911 I'll likely switch manufacturers.
Unfortunately, there is not enough profit per unit to convince PCNA to intervene, for every one that leaves the brand, there are several to replace - at least for now. Sorry for this, but perhaps some future action regarding the inability to repair the PDK will result in some relief. This is just not right.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:15 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I would think that Porsche would ask ZF to step up and reimburse for these failures on low mileage cars. Automatics should not fail like this, manuals can be abused and clutches worn, but does need a complete new unit.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d

This isn’t a door handle or some piece of trim. It’s the brain of the car (right behind the heart -the engine)! Porsche needs to step up or revise their service recommendation for fluid change! GL OP!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:37 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I'd check around thoroughly for a used one at Porsche parts houses like LA Dismantlers, before buying a new one. JMO...
Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 PM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would you let a dealer do an out of warranty replacement? Bend over! That was so gracious of them to cut off 3k for you, cmon dude wake up. Find an Indy who will install a second hand unit.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:00 PM
driving_impaired
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn OP I hate to see a situation like this for you but especially since I just bought a used '13 myself with a PDK. Might start looking at those extended warranties...

Anyone remember that R&T review of the gt3 where they said Porsche used the launch control 1000 times in a row with no issues? I would think if you are making a claim like this you could make a 100k mile assurance on your trans.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure - 2013 991