Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   PDK Failure - 2013 991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1137958-pdk-failure-2013-991-a.html)

wesley_willis 04-10-2019 03:50 PM

PDK Failure - 2013 991

Just wanted to post another PDK casualty story :( Was on my way to work yesterday in my 2013 991 when all of a sudden the car went from 7th gear to 6th gear and the dreaded “Transm. fault Poss. no R gear” message came up - the car wouldn’t shift out of 6th. Fortunately a dealer was on my way to work right off the highway so I dropped it off.

Got a message from them today saying that the car doesn’t go into reverse or 7th gear and a replacement of the transmission is recommended which will cost about $16K :icon501:

The dealer seems to actually be very honest and straightforward which is refreshing. However, $16K is a lot for me and I did inquire about submitting for a goodwill repair which the dealer is currently submitting the paperwork for.

I also got in touch with my independent Porsche mechanic friend (Aldo in San Francisco) who’s doing some research and making some calls for me - he is waiting to hear back from a shop around here who may know how to rebuild the transmission.

Anyway while I’m here in limbo I figured I’d share my story for your entertainment and provide another data point for the PDK failures. I bought my car used with 24K miles on it, have had it for 20 months, and have put about 700 miles on it per month (so it currently has 38K miles on it).

Any more advice you guys/gals could give me on how to handle this would be great! Thank you and I sincerely hope this doesn’t happen with your cars :thumbup: It makes me kind of sad that I even bought this car even though the 911 has been a dream car of mine all my life - this car was a 30th birthday present to myself. My family has also had 3 other Porsches, and my mom even currently drives a Macan S based on my suggestion. Not sure I’ll be able to recommend them another Porsche, and I will definitely be telling them to get rid of the Macan as soon as it’s out of warranty :crying:

saeyedoc 04-10-2019 03:52 PM

That's a bummer and the main reason I bought a Fidelity Platinum when my CPO ran out 6 months ago.

wesley_willis 04-10-2019 03:54 PM

Definitely smart on your end, hopefully nothing happens to your car but if so, that your warranty covers everything!

I certainly should have done more research - I felt like I knew everything I needed to but I guess not :(

CSK 911 C4S 04-10-2019 04:07 PM

Bummer to hear. 13 PDK here as well.

Owned a car for 20 months and this is your 1st post on Rennlist.

What other sites were you on before?

wesley_willis 04-10-2019 04:15 PM

Haven’t really been active on forums since I got this car - I had a BMW 335i for 10 years and used to post on Bimmerpost and 6speedonline. Had such good luck with that car (even modded) and now this problem with a bone stock 991 :eek:

I did have a great experience with BMWNA when I had a problem so crossing my fingers I have a similar positive experience with PCNA :thumbup:

Porsche_nuts 04-10-2019 04:26 PM

Good luck. Hope the good will comes through for you.

With all the PDK issues emerging, I am getting worried.

Keep us posted.

wesley_willis 04-10-2019 04:35 PM

Sure thing - happy to answer any additional questions and will definitely keep you posted! This site is certainly a great resource, glad it popped up when I was doing my own research on this :thumbup:

I’m not a technical gearhead by any stretch, but my main concerns are 1) this shouldn’t happen on a car with 38K miles known for its racing pedigree 2) in the extremely rare case it does happen there should be more options than straight up replacing the whole unit

rporzio 04-10-2019 05:28 PM

Wow, so sorry to hear this Wesley. I bought a 14 C2 this past November with 22k (now almost 25) but did get a Fidelity Warranty for 3 years. Your story is one of a few I've read and like I said to the others I'm hoping that everything works out well for you in the end. R.

Hurricane 04-10-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by wesley_willis (Post 15764404)
Just wanted to post another PDK casualty story :( Was on my way to work yesterday in my 2013 991 when all of a sudden the car went from 7th gear to 6th gear and the dreaded “Transm. fault Poss. no R gear” message came up - the car wouldn’t shift out of 6th. Fortunately a dealer was on my way to work right off the highway so I dropped it off.

Got a message from them today saying that the car doesn’t go into reverse or 7th gear and a replacement of the transmission is recommended which will cost about $16K :icon501:

The dealer seems to actually be very honest and straightforward which is refreshing. However, $16K is a lot for me and I did inquire about submitting for a goodwill repair which the dealer is currently submitting the paperwork for.

I also got in touch with my independent Porsche mechanic friend (Aldo in San Francisco) who’s doing some research and making some calls for me - he is waiting to hear back from a shop around here who may know how to rebuild the transmission.

Anyway while I’m here in limbo I figured I’d share my story for your entertainment and provide another data point for the PDK failures. I bought my car used with 24K miles on it, have had it for 20 months, and have put about 700 miles on it per month (so it currently has 38K miles on it).

Any more advice you guys/gals could give me on how to handle this would be great! Thank you and I sincerely hope this doesn’t happen with your cars :thumbup: It makes me kind of sad that I even bought this car even though the 911 has been a dream car of mine all my life - this car was a 30th birthday present to myself. My family has also had 3 other Porsches, and my mom even currently drives a Macan S based on my suggestion. Not sure I’ll be able to recommend them another Porsche, and I will definitely be telling them to get rid of the Macan as soon as it’s out of warranty :crying:

How Porsche handles events like these will be interesting to see. Please let us know how it goes. :cheers:

Bxstr 04-10-2019 05:36 PM

Never like to read these stories, but appreciate you posting and sharing the information.

Not sure I would want someone to rebuild a PDK at this point, it isn't something that is common to do, if ever. It is more than likely some sort of electronic failure and not a mechanical failure.

I have another 10 months left of CPO, after that the car will either be traded or a warranty put on it, but even then, a Fidelity Platinum warranty is $3-5k depending on mileage. Really have to factor that into the equation. If you want to keep your car for a long time, it is worth it, if you have plans of eventually trading may be best to just sell and move on and get a manual, since the likelihood of using the warranty is actually not that great. Just have to insure against $16k repairs. Most people don't have that kind of money sitting around waiting to spend on a transmission, specifically myself.

I am the Walrus 04-10-2019 05:42 PM

Perhaps this could be an option, listed at 7k, you could offer 5 or 6k
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Porsche-911-...9ZCkhH&vxp=mtr

it says it will work on a 2013 but be sure to do your due diligence if you proceed.

There are others listed too, one with only 800 miles use

wesley_willis 04-10-2019 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bxstr (Post 15764679)
Never like to read these stories, but appreciate you posting and sharing the information.

Not sure I would want someone to rebuild a PDK at this point, it isn't something that is common to do, if ever. It is more than likely some sort of electronic failure and not a mechanical failure.

I have another 10 months left of CPO, after that the car will either be traded or a warranty put on it, but even then, a Fidelity Platinum warranty is $3-5k depending on mileage. Really have to factor that into the equation. If you want to keep your car for a long time, it is worth it, if you have plans of eventually trading may be best to just sell and move on and get a manual, since the likelihood of using the warranty is actually not that great. Just have to insure against $16k repairs. Most people don't have that kind of money sitting around waiting to spend on a transmission, specifically myself.

You are totally right, Bxstr - my mechanic ended up talking to that shop who did not want to try to do pull apart this transmission.

Also duly noted on the warranty! I'm single/no kids and fortunately no one will be going hungry because of this bill, but I will likely have to take some sort of short-term loan to cover this until my summer bonus comes through. Weirdly enough though, I'm happy to learn this solid life lesson - ALWAYS be insured/warranted against anything that could cost over 5 figures out of pocket!

Thank you all for your kind responses - happy to finally be an active part of the community (even if it is under these annoying circumstances!). Looking forward to keeping you all posted. :thumbup:

orclean1 04-10-2019 08:04 PM

Sorry to hear your pain, hopefully Porsche will help . Please let us know of the outcome

Joec500 04-10-2019 08:51 PM

I would definitely call around more places to see what installing a salvage PDK transmission would cost. Might even be worth exploring options in SoCal, as I am sure there are a lot more guys down there that would do this work.

The $700 tow could be worth it.

I would call the guys at Sharkwerks to see if they recommend anyone locally who can do this work on a modern Porsche. I have taken my car to Aldo's for basic maintenance, but they seem to do a lot more work on older P-cars.

Joec500 04-10-2019 08:53 PM

Another idea would be to contact these guys to see if they have customers who are local here in the Bay Area.

https://www.dodsonmotorsport.com/por...hoCUp8QAvD_BwE