Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Failure - 2013 991

Old 04-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Que
maybe a an odd suggestions, but would this be the time to do a pdk to manual swap say with a 6 speed from a 997.2 if it could fit?
No. The car doesn't need a story to accompany the build sheet which shows it as being a PDK. It the OP want a MT the best bet is to change cars.

BTW, OP, the clutch pedal is a lot lighter on a 991.2 than a 991.1
Old 04-12-2019, 06:33 PM
thejazzman
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thebrit86
... it seems like most of the failed transmissions come from 2013? ...
Is this true? Have the failures been connected to a particular batch of transmissions? I seem to remember that some of the PDK transmissions were made outside of Germany. Since I have a 2013 4S PDK, I'd like to try to figure out my chances of failure - if that's even possible.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

We all should voice our concern about these PDK failure on all Porsche social media account and demand them to warranty up to 100k miles for their PDK. Heck, Toyota, Honda, and MB and bmw never have their automatic transmission failure. These tranny worse than Ferrari F1 because at least F1 let you know the clutch wear and potential to replace.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Have been scanning through the thread and I truly feel bad for you. Were there any symptoms before this happened?
Old 04-12-2019, 06:55 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ferrari's old F1 was basically a hydraulic clutch mated to the regular gearbox. Ferrari replaced it with the dual clutch transmission -- made by Getrag in Germany -- in the California in 2009. The DCTs in the Ferraris have had issues with speed sensors buried in the transmission (early on it was the plastic clips Getrag used to route the wiring which became brittle with heat and would abrade the sensor wiring, causing errors). The symptoms were similar, you would "lose" the even gears, or the odd gears, etc. The gears themselves were fine, mechanically. Ferrari's solution at the time was ... okay, replace the gearbox. You can imagine what that costs in a Ferrari. Eventually, Getrag started training Ferrari techs how to disassemble the gearbox and replace the clips and sensors, so what use to be a staggeringly expensive repair is "cheap" -- at least by Ferrari standards -- about $7k if you're lucky enough to be near a dealer with a trained tech.

I'm pretty confident Porsche could do the same ... if it wanted to. It's just a gearbox, after all.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by sessionstu
This shop in LA can repair/rebuild a PDK transmission.

https://www.westsidetransmission.com...e-transmission
Assuming they can actually rebuild your transmission I would just have the car transported here. I think transport is around $700ish. Then just drive it back
Old 04-12-2019, 07:22 PM
wesley_willis
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thejazzman
Is this true? Have the failures been connected to a particular batch of transmissions? I seem to remember that some of the PDK transmissions were made outside of Germany. Since I have a 2013 4S PDK, I'd like to try to figure out my chances of failure - if that's even possible.
Originally Posted by gotgolf52
We all should voice our concern about these PDK failure on all Porsche social media account and demand them to warranty up to 100k miles for their PDK. Heck, Toyota, Honda, and MB and bmw never have their automatic transmission failure. These tranny worse than Ferrari F1 because at least F1 let you know the clutch wear and potential to replace.
I agree; if there's a way for us to see if there was a bad batch of units manufactured it would be super helpful for all of us to have this type of information. I'll certainly be pushing to see if there's any sort of PDK model # or any other product identifier I can get from my car and will surely pass on this information to you folks.

As for an update: Not much so far! I called PCNA who confirmed they have someone on the case who called and left voicemails/emails with the Service Manager at the dealership today. I should be hearing back sometime Monday.

At the end of the day, it's just a car so there's certainly no reason to feel sorry for me. I fully understood and assumed the risks I was taking by buying a used German car out of warranty, and if the bill was $6K or so I probably wouldn't have posted anything here or gotten so upset. However, this situation disappointed me for a few reasons:

1) Powertrain should NOT be failing catastrophically at under 100K miles on a car like this built for the track, especially when the car is just being used to commute and exhibited NO symptoms of anything wrong with it whatsoever

2) In the rare case that anything in the powertrain fails due to a small part, the part should be easily replaceable and not cost any more than a few thousand to fix/replace (and I think I'm being generous here with the amount)

3) PCNA completely wrote me off and declined to participate in the repair presumably because I bought the car used and not at a Porsche dealer

#3 is very short-sighted IMHO; the value of a car brand depends heavily on all of its cars in circulation, not just the new cars rolling off the lot. Additionally, the pricing of cars in an efficient used car market should reflect future assumed repair/maintenance costs, and if this becomes a widespread issue that draws attention, the residual value of all of your vehicles that have this outsourced ZF transmission could be severely affected. I made all of these points clearly and tactfully to the CSR, and I let her know that this thread has almost 5K views with many people closely tracking how Porsche handles this situation. One day, it could be one of you poor folks that this happens to and I want to make sure Porsche treats you better than they've treated me so far!

Hope to have an update for you soon!

Sincerely,

Abhi AKA wesley_willis
Old 04-12-2019, 09:24 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by thejazzman
i remember that post as well. Just checked my 2014 window sticker (the area is below the MPG info) and it says my transmission was made in Germany. Curious if the guys that had problems say there...or somewhere else???

... Found the thread.... chatter starts at post 147. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1100...-story-10.html. Appears some were made in Japan.

Last edited by Al.Fresco; 04-12-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:48 PM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you folks seen this before? Interesting. PDK Factory Reset. The article is for a Panamera. From what I've read, it works on all PDK transmissions. Worth a try if your transmission is acting up.

http://www.insanegarage.com/panamera...set-procedure/

Old 04-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

^ Aint seen that before...
Old 04-13-2019, 02:55 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by sessionstu
Have you folks seen this before? Interesting. PDK Factory Reset. The article is for a Panamera. From what I've read, it works on all PDK transmissions. Worth a try if your transmission is acting up.

http://www.insanegarage.com/panamera...set-procedure/

Is this for real or a funny april fools joke? LOL
Old 04-13-2019, 03:00 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Is this for real or a funny april fools joke? LOL
It’s real, read this thread, it’s quite interesting

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...procedure.html
Old 04-13-2019, 03:01 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Seems real, no way to tell if it really works ... feels better after its done, but it could be in my head only

below is the similar procedure with some more steps involved
Old 04-13-2019, 03:09 AM
wesley_willis
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Idk but I’m telling my SA to try it on Monday LOL... if it actually works...
Old 04-13-2019, 09:48 AM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice if Porsche could put an option in the PCM to reset the PDK without having to go through these steps? How about a service/oil change reset button as well.

If I paid $130k for an iPad and it didn't allow me to reset it, I would be slightly annoyed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PDK Failure - 2013 991