Sponsored by:

Expensive rock on side of road

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 07:44 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Expensive rock on side of road

So, I was out today on the “Tail of the Dragon.” Went up and down then back up. Decided to go down 28 toward fontana dam. That was bad idea. You would have thought since I saw road crews cleaning debris up from downed trees and rock slides I would have taken it easy. Think again though, cause I clipped a rock on the edge of the road on my passenger side going around a curve. It nicked front wheel and cut front tire. The rear it bent and put a whole in wheel as well as punctured tire. It also slightly bent the rocker panel at edge of wheel well. Honestly, pretty minor damage but stupid expensive. According to dealership, a replacement front and rear wheel is going to be $6k plus $1k for 2 new MPSC2 tires. Just put the tires on Tuesday so they were brand new. So 7k plus lets say $1k probably for fixing the rocker panel. Man this is an expensive car to mess up wow! I hate to pay out of pocket and I have insurance obviously. I havent got a quote from bodyshop yet but best guess on costs so far is 8k. What is more aggravating is CarFax will probably end up showing this and will be given less on trade in down the road over wheels and tires. That aggravates me the most. Ughhh!

Old 03-28-2019, 07:50 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Ouch, ouch, ouch.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:56 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

yup, the Porsche stock wheels are expensive ..... but then so are the aftermarket ones..... maybe - just maybe - you could repair the front wheel ... does car fax really deal with tires and wheels?
Old 03-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly
yup, the Porsche stock wheels are expensive ..... but then so are the aftermarket ones..... maybe - just maybe - you could repair the front wheel ... does car fax really deal with tires and wheels?
Sorry to see that.

Is there any way to get around the CarFax?

Last edited by Dkk16; 03-28-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:59 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, that really sucks. I would be so pissed!

Old 03-28-2019, 08:02 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow I'd be fuming. Another advantage for 5 lug wheels ($) I guess. How did you get home?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Sorry to hear. $hit happens, ya fix it, and move on.

It matters not what's on or off the CarFax. It always baffles me the amount of angst and mental gymnastics Rennlisters do about this. An honest seller disclosures the car's true condition, no matter what some document says. What happened to personal integrity? Always buy the seller, not just the car.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Noooo!!
Old 03-28-2019, 08:18 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Ouch. That sucks
Old 03-28-2019, 08:20 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

True save pictures of what happened and print a copy of thread after a hundred people post stupid stuff so when it comes time to sell you can show potential buyers what happened. And I hate to say it but it is going to cost more than $1k to fix the rocker.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:24 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kuma1416
Wow I'd be fuming. Another advantage for 5 lug wheels ($) I guess. How did you get home?
Was driving with a friend luckily. He went up to the store and called a flatbed for me while I waited at the car. He drove me back home and took me to my truck. Then met tow truck at body shop. Was grateful for his help as day would have been way worse otherwise.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:30 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
replacement front and rear wheel is going to be $6K
Prices on a full set of used centerlock Spyder wheels is 2K-2.5K. I know, because I bought a set in very good condition for 2K. I found many other sets while I was looking. Just check the classifieds of this site, ebay, and others.

It sounds like it is too late to go that route this time, but keep it in mind should this happen again.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:31 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
Sorry to hear. $hit happens, ya fix it, and move on.

It matters not what's on or off the CarFax. It always baffles me the amount of angst and mental gymnastics Rennlisters do about this. An honest seller disclosures the car's true condition, no matter what some document says. What happened to personal integrity? Always buy the seller, not just the car.
Yeah I hear ya. I just know how dealerships are. Oh well you have a carfax so going to give you xxxx less money. When reality is that I screwed up some expensive wheels and tires and small dent in rocker panel. In grand scheme of car it is extremely minor, however, price does not reflect it. I know it is trivial to worry about these things, I just dont think the current carfax system is good. I think if it says damage it should give details since it will follow the car for rest of its days. That way people know hey its not something that should effect later value or yeah its an issue to be concerned with.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:53 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dkk16
Is there any way to get around the CarFax?
Yeah if I bought wheels and tires and paid for the minor repair out of pocket and didnt turn into insurance it wouldnt show. If I could grab 2 used identical wheels and tires and fix it for 3k I would just do this. However, for 8k plus turning into insurance is probably best bet. I will forget about the carfax crap in a month, but just choosing focus my frustration on them instead of myself for now LOL. Crappy day, but I honestly have taken it in good stride. It could have been way worse. Could have lost control of car and then who knows what. This sort of stuff can happen when you play hard.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:35 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

On the bright side you got to go up and down the dragon a couple times I drove it in my 993 on my trip home. Fun road. Loved that 28 too. Fortunately it was clean when I drove it and not another car either direction. Do you live near there? Lucky if you do.

Quick Reply: Expensive rock on side of road