Sponsored by:

Expensive rock on side of road

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 10:50 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice
Glad to hear you’re okay. While upsetting, the car can be fixed as good as new. Good chance it may not be picked up by car fax. They are very hit and miss on the information that gets sent to them. I personally would not be troubled as a buyer since the vast majority of your damage was in wheels and tires that will be replaced.
Thanks and yeah it hopefully be alright. I will keep photos for down the road. I hope to keep this car a long time so its far away anyways. Right now its killing me to have car not in my garage. I am a little attached to it. Drove by the shop this evening and they have it pulled inside with plastic over targa top to keep clean. So thats easing to me.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:00 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
Thanks and yeah it hopefully be alright. I will keep photos for down the road. I hope to keep this car a long time so its far away anyways. Right now its killing me to have car not in my garage. I am a little attached to it. Drove by the shop this evening and they have it pulled inside with plastic over targa top to keep clean. So thats easing to me.
I think most on this forum community feel about their cars as you do yours. I know my initial reaction would be sick to my stomach....been there! I would rather it be my wheels than major paint work. That would make me want to sell my car
Old 03-31-2019, 01:15 PM
aduong
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had same issue

I had this happen to me on my tArga gts as well. It was a piece of metal on hwy and hit the rocker and gouged past the paint with a dent.

if you report or got to a body shop where they paint that entire panel. Your car trade in will lose like 15k+.

it was a big dilemma for me as well and ultimately used dent wizard and painted with touch up paint by a shop as best as possible pe and put a clear coat hardly noticeable only under certain loght(agate gray ) It may look not perfect, but given location probably only you will notice with the silver paint. If a buyer wants to have it repainted, dealer can give a credit and they repaint- passing the hit to them in the future.

when you trade in to a dealer., they will meter each panels and so will a buyer. This was all foreign to me at the time. I would just pay and refinish the wheel not replace. If done right probably $2k out of pocket.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:02 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aduong
I had this happen to me on my tArga gts as well. It was a piece of metal on hwy and hit the rocker and gouged past the paint with a dent.

if you report or got to a body shop where they paint that entire panel. Your car trade in will lose like 15k+.

it was a big dilemma for me as well and ultimately used dent wizard and painted with touch up paint by a shop as best as possible pe and put a clear coat hardly noticeable only under certain loght(agate gray ) It may look not perfect, but given location probably only you will notice with the silver paint. If a buyer wants to have it repainted, dealer can give a credit and they repaint- passing the hit to them in the future.

when you trade in to a dealer., they will meter each panels and so will a buyer. This was all foreign to me at the time. I would just pay and refinish the wheel not replace. If done right probably $2k out of pocket.
Sorry you had same issue too. Do you still have your Targa or did you trade it? I couldnt handle the car not going back to perfect condition. Didnt really think about the paint meter deal.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:05 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Not sure I understand your logic. To avoid the Carfax hit at trade in or sale you did a subpar repair that will be noticeable at trade in or sale and will result in a decreased price because of condition plus accident history. Wouldn’t it have been preferable to do a proper repair through insurance and document the extent of damage? Then you are only dealing with the accident history.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:45 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm heading to TOG this Friday. I think i will take it carefully after reading this post and some of the others.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:51 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jll1011
I'm heading to TOG this Friday. I think i will take it carefully after reading this post and some of the others.
I feel like I should know what TOG is, but please expand that out. Assuming it a track?
Old 03-31-2019, 02:54 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Looks like you in Georgia so Top Of Georgia on backroads?
Old 03-31-2019, 03:11 PM
aduong
Intermediate

Bodywork scares people even with pictures etc... and non cpo was a 20-25k loss per my dealer who is a top 10 in the nation for porsche.

we had a body shop do the dent repair and touch up and it was by the edge of the fender so it was not subpar. Keep in mind the area was 1/2 inch by 1 inch after the rocker panel clear bra. Actually cut it . You Can only see in different angles no divot. I originally only wanted to just pay the 3k and paint the whole fender rear so it was perfect, but dealer explained when I trade. The dealer would give me the value as if no damage minus the 2-3k to repAint since customer may request. But cpo and no accident history.Most important is no car fax or bodywork. It was something if it looked unacceptable after dent and touchip, I would have repainted it for sure.

i plan on trading it in a couple years and didn’t want to lose that vs psychologically driving a less than perfect car. The spot repaired won’t be able to see in a picture. Have to be really close. I recommend he try that first with dent repair and touch up. Worst case you paint and take the loss.

Originally Posted by Jim991
Not sure I understand your logic. To avoid the Carfax hit at trade in or sale you did a subpar repair that will be noticeable at trade in or sale and will result in a decreased price because of condition plus accident history. Wouldn’t it have been preferable to do a proper repair through insurance and document the extent of damage? Then you are only dealing with the accident history.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:18 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Looks like you in Georgia so Top Of Georgia on backroads?
Sorry guys, I meant Tail of the Dragon.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:24 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=aduong;15741366]Bodywork scares people even with pictures etc... and non cpo was a 20-25k loss per my dealer who is a top 10 in the nation for porsche.

What does this mean? If your car does not certify as a CPO, you would lose 20-25K? I don't see that in used car values when comparing non CPO and CPO. There is a price difference, but not that large.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:36 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Sorry guys, I meant Tail of the Dragon.
Man well have fun just be careful! No way I will have mine fixed this week, but if I did, I would meet you up there. Stay in your lane. People will typically pull over that are going slower to let you by. Also keep eye out for police. Cleaning crews were cleaning so you should be pretty good I would imagine.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:16 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Man well have fun just be careful! No way I will have mine fixed this week, but if I did, I would meet you up there. Stay in your lane. People will typically pull over that are going slower to let you by. Also keep eye out for police. Cleaning crews were cleaning so you should be pretty good I would imagine.
Thank you for the suggestions. First time heading there. I have a friend from Charlotte meeting me there so it will be the two of us. I noticed there are a couple of planned groups heading there as well. Hope it won’t be too busy. Would like to join you some time in the future. Hoping your car will be repaired quickly and to your liking.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:30 PM
aduong
Intermediate

That is what the CPo sales manager who is a close friend of mine told me I would lose.

body work/ Carfax history plus being non cpo.20-25k hit he said in value. I just own the car and this was a big debate for a while and we did the dent and touchup at the end. He said if I plan on keeping it for a long time or not selling then fixit right. I planned on trading for a 992 turbo when it comes out.

[QUOTE=jll1011;15741398]
Bodywork scares people even with pictures etc... and non cpo was a 20-25k loss per my dealer who is a top 10 in the nation for porsche.

What does this mean? If your car does not certify as a CPO, you would lose 20-25K? I don't see that in used car values when comparing non CPO and CPO. There is a price difference, but not that large.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:32 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the suggestions. First time heading there. I have a friend from Charlotte meeting me there so it will be the two of us. I noticed there are a couple of planned groups heading there as well. Hope it won’t be too busy. Would like to join you some time in the future. Hoping your car will be repaired quickly and to your liking.
For sure just message me the next time

Quick Reply: Expensive rock on side of road