991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expensive rock on side of road

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019 | 08:02 PM
good2go
Pro

How big was this rock? The rock was off the road or on the road?

Bummer.
Old 03-29-2019 | 09:56 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by good2go
How big was this rock? The rock was off the road or on the road?

Bummer.
I couldnt find it or figure out which one I hit. Possibly I didnt walk far enough back down the road to the right curve or possibly I knocked the crap out of it and sent it further from road I am not sure. Pretty certain I was looking in right area though. Either way what I hit was at the edge of the road not in the lines. There was small gravel scattered all over the side of the road though. So best I can come up with is that I came in too hot and as the car pushed, at the same time I caught gravel on my passenger side. Since I was making a left hand turn my weight was pushed into my passenger side tires. That combo sent me about 1ft over the line. Then there was a thump thump sound. Looked down and rear tire said -37 or something tire pressure. Slowed to a stop and pulled over. Couldnt ever figure out what exactly I hit as there was not anything substantial laying around where I was looking.
Old 03-29-2019 | 10:02 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Exactly what I hit will remain a mystery. It also will remain my fault though mystery or not.
Old 03-29-2019 | 11:22 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Very sorry to see this. Try not to stress about Carfax. I did about $15k damage to an S2000 by striking a curb with the rear passenger wheel from some oversteer... Honda dealer entered it as "suspension service." Almost everything on that back corner was replaced... Wheel, tire, suspension, rear differential, etc.
Old 03-30-2019 | 12:03 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Sorry for your troubles, OP!
Old 03-30-2019 | 01:06 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

That sucks, best I can say is s**t happens sometimes. I declined the tire/wheel insurance because it seems very expensive for what it covers. I chose to self insure and will use my comprehensive coverage if needed, which is what I'd do if in your situation.

Carfax seems to do more harm than good these days. I have owned a car with a clean Carfax that had major bodywork done. I also have first hand knowledge of a car that had an accident reported Carfax but never had an accident. I simply don't trust it - clean or dirty. I think if you document the damage and repair really well and share that info with a prospective buyer you will be best off.
Old 03-30-2019 | 01:43 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Yikes...what about not claiming insurance and just pay outta pocket for the two rims and tires?

On the rocker panel....i would just replace the black plastic pcs and call it a day
Old 03-30-2019 | 08:14 AM
LexVan
Banned

I've seen some crazy stuff on the roadway when running the Dragon over the years, including a very LARGE turtle, that could have done that damage.

I also suspect you will need an alignment after a hit like that. Add another +$400-$600 to your tab, depending on your options like RWS, automatic cruise control, just to name a few.
Old 03-30-2019 | 08:49 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Stuff happens when you drive. Look at the bright side: Your car stayed on the road and it didn’t hit anything bigger or more important than that rock, including other people. You ended up on the very good end of the probability distribution of all possible outcomes. Celebrate this fact and consider it cheap tuitition for the next time you overcook a corner.
Old 03-30-2019 | 12:59 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don’t understand how your comprehensive auto would cover this? If you hit a stationary object, then you generally not covered. If this thing was airborn and it hit your vehicle then they will cover it. If this was a coverable event under you auto coverage, why would people buy wheel and tire insurance? Not trying to argue at all, just trying to understand. Thanks
Old 03-30-2019 | 01:09 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jack F
I don’t understand how your comprehensive auto would cover this? If you hit a stationary object, then you generally not covered. If this thing was airborn and it hit your vehicle then they will cover it. If this was a coverable event under you auto coverage, why would people buy wheel and tire insurance? Not trying to argue at all, just trying to understand. Thanks
Its covered under collision
Old 03-30-2019 | 04:38 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSETarga
Its covered under collision
If it’s covered then why do people buy wheel and tire insurance?
Old 03-30-2019 | 04:45 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jack F
If it’s covered then why do people buy wheel and tire insurance?
Collision deductible, increased insurance premiums, car fax, etc. All the things that come along with filing insurance claim.
Old 03-30-2019 | 05:05 PM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Jeez I hate to see that. Americas roads are so trashed. My T hasn't seen the light of day the roads suck so bad!
Old 03-30-2019 | 10:39 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Glad to hear you’re okay. While upsetting, the car can be fixed as good as new. Good chance it may not be picked up by car fax. They are very hit and miss on the information that gets sent to them. I personally would not be troubled as a buyer since the vast majority of your damage was in wheels and tires that will be replaced.

Quick Reply: Expensive rock on side of road