Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[HOW-TO] PDK Fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 12:47 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,223 Likes on 718 Posts

Looks like Pentosin has a kit for PDK clutch fluid, just doesn't include the gearbox/diff fluid (mobilube?). I know the OEM fluid is Pentosin FFL-3 for clutch.

I am still kinda confused as to what goes where... I would want to do the Transmission + Clutch + Diff (if needed)

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...T1-MFG210.aspx

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...-9g132102500kt

Kit contains: (Qty.) (1) Transmission oil pan with filter and gasket,(6) liters Pentosin FFL 3 trans fluid, (13) pan bolts, (1) drain plug.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 04-15-2021 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Had what fluids go where backwards
Old 04-15-2021, 12:54 PM
Fr3nch
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Looks like Pentosin has a kit for PDK fluid, just doesn't include the clutch? fluid (mobilube?). I know the OEM fluid is Pentosin FFL-3 for transmission.

I am still kinda confused as to what goes where... I would want to do the Transmission + Clutch + Diff (if needed)

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...T1-MFG210.aspx

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...-9g132102500kt

Kit contains: (Qty.) (1) Transmission oil pan with filter and gasket,(6) liters Pentosin FFL 3 trans fluid, (13) pan bolts, (1) drain plug.

That kit is for the clutch fluid. FFL3 is for the clutch.

mobilube is for the gearbox.

The picture at the top of this thread with the “pdk gear oil” is wrong. Don’t put oil in there.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 01:30 PM
aways
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by amet
it states 180,000 km, but what worried me was a 2nd -> 1st "clunk" on cold and the fact that same PDK in 997.2 had wet clutch fluid scheduled at 100,000 km(60k miles).

2nd -> 1st clunk is now gone, and it didn't break the bank doing it at indy shop
My car also has the 2nd --> 1st clunk a lot of the time... I'm surprised that a fluid change alone would correct that. Can you describe the change/improvement in more detail? Was it a pretty noticeable clunk that disappeared, or just got subjectively more quiet?
Thanks.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:40 PM
blinkerfluidfull
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started doing this to get ready for track season. Ended up removing the "PDK Gear fill" screw before realizing it is NOT the gear fill screw. It was a weird looking screw with something that looked like thread locker on the end.

Is this going to cause an issue? Have any of you removed this screw by mistake?

Old 04-18-2021, 01:20 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by aways
My car also has the 2nd --> 1st clunk a lot of the time... I'm surprised that a fluid change alone would correct that. Can you describe the change/improvement in more detail? Was it a pretty noticeable clunk that disappeared, or just got subjectively more quiet?
Thanks.
it’s subjectively more quiet, I have learned to live with the clunk, I only hear it if the windows are closed
Old 05-04-2021, 01:47 PM
Wacky
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fr3nch
That kit is for the clutch fluid. FFL3 is for the clutch.

mobilube is for the gearbox.

The picture at the top of this thread with the “pdk gear oil” is wrong. Don’t put oil in there.
Corrected photo attached, FFL3 (PDK Clutch Fluid) fill is to the right.

The following 3 users liked this post by Wacky:
ElCid86 (01-03-2023), Fullyield (05-05-2021), slilley (05-23-2022)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:17 PM
Wacky
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
How did the inside of your pan look? Did the magnet/filter have anything visible on them?
I just changed all of the drivetrain fluids as well and remembered take photos of the inside of the pan. Both magnets had a layer of metal sludge; I ran my finger over one of the magnets to try and show the thickness.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:59 PM
Fr3nch
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I didn’t realize there were magnets in there too. I decided to not change my pan after seeing how clean the oil came out.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:54 AM
Johnny958
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blinkerfluidfull
I started doing this to get ready for track season. Ended up removing the "PDK Gear fill" screw before realizing it is NOT the gear fill screw. It was a weird looking screw with something that looked like thread locker on the end.

Is this going to cause an issue? Have any of you removed this screw by mistake?

Hey I did the same damn thing but didnt remove the plug completely. However upon tightening it back up the head of the plug snapped off. Can anyone tell me what the part number is on this to replace it?
I've looked but can't find anything.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:31 AM
Macan't
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny958
Hey I did the same damn thing but didnt remove the plug completely. However upon tightening it back up the head of the plug snapped off. Can anyone tell me what the part number is on this to replace it?
I've looked but can't find anything.

Finding this bolt was super hard. I bought one just to compare to the original because I was in panic mode at that point. It’s an aluminum vented shoulder screw with this special thread locker/sealant on it. There’s also a sealing washer under the head.

honestly I’m not sure how you snapped yours off now that I’m thinking about it. It’s a Allen key. Is the rest of the bolt stuck in the hole? You’ll need to be really careful with extraction. The screw bridges a gap between casings in the transmission. Parts of the screw, damaged thread material, tap cuttings (if you have to chase the threads) can and will fall into the PDK gearbox portion through the gap.

The first few dealers I called refused to sell it. I don’t remember where I ended up ordering it from, but it wasn’t cheap. might have been a shop in the UK?

I ended up reinstalling my original, so I still have the one I bought floating around some place. It’s brand new. I’ll sell it to you for $100 shipped.

Last edited by Macan't; 05-23-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:09 PM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 209 Posts

It's a shame that we cannot correct the first picture showing the incorrect fill location in the first post on this thread. Obviously that's now at least two people removing the wrong "fill" bolt - probably based on that first bad picture.

Just to be clear for others reading this thread: the corrected picture showing the PDK fill plug is in Post 36 above by @Wacky.

@amet if you are able to edit your original post, could you replace your picture #1 with the picture in post 36? I hate to see others making the same (avoidable) mistake because they are putting their trust in that first image!
Old 05-23-2022, 12:12 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,451 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
It's a shame that we cannot correct the first picture showing the incorrect fill location in the first post on this thread. Obviously that's now at least two people removing the wrong "fill" bolt - probably based on that first bad picture.

Just to be clear for others reading this thread: the corrected picture showing the PDK fill plug is in Post 36 above by @Wacky.

@amet if you are able to edit your original post, could you replace your picture #1 with the picture in post 36? I hate to see others making the same (avoidable) mistake because they are putting their trust in that first image!
Maybe OP should request admin to delete thread and then OP can start new thread under same name that begins with corrected photo in post 36? Just a guess?
Old 05-23-2022, 12:12 PM
Johnny958
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks yes its fine I can remove it no problem and just slightly over tightening it caused just the top to shear off. It has a recess in the top for the little rubber washer.
I almost had mine out, i just screwed it back in and used some heavy epoxy plastic repair on it. Its not leaking or anything. When you say bridge the gap what does that mean, because it did not seem very long etc. I am in central florida by the way.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:18 PM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley

unfortunately not, unable to edit the post
Old 05-23-2022, 12:27 PM
Macan't
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I drew you a picture. The job of that screw is to vent a space between the PDK transmission oil shaft seal and the PDK clutch fluid seal without contaminating the transmission oil. So its important that the vent hole remain open. The thread locker seals the transmission from the vent tube. The sealing washer under the head of the bolt seals the transmission from the outside. Hopefully the picture makes sense.

Honestly on a car this expensive, why are you happy with a bogded together repair? A new PDK is something like $25k. Replacing those seals are not "user serviceable". I think there is only one or two independent mechanics in the country that will drop a PDK for anything other than a replacement. Those seals are really hard to get to.

Quick Reply: [HOW-TO] PDK Fluid change