Sponsored by:

[HOW-TO] PDK Fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 11:25 AM
dannyk304
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mikescayenne
im about to do this on my 991.1 and purchased the Beck/Arnley PDK transmission pan, and Liqui moly fluids for the clutch oil and gear oil. I also got an extra gear oil for the rear differential. Links are all below:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...-0408#overview - Pan at the time of purchase was $121

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-liqui_mo...BoC0C0QAvD_BwE - Liqui Moly 8100 5L Dual Clutch Oil purchase price $73.50

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/gea...ly-99991754600 - Liqui Moly Gear/Differential Fluid purchase price was $19 x 4 = $76

These are the cheapest prices i found for each of these products.

BTW, this is not very helpful, but I recently put Motul DCTF in my cayenne's transfer case.
Hey - your car and up to you but transmission service interval for PDK is over 100k miles, so I didn't think the extra couple of hundred bucks on the genuine and approved parts/fluids, spread over that time frame, was worth cutting corners on. The aftermarket pans I've seen lack the metal lined drain plug hole, lack the magnets inside to capture any metal flakes, and the gaskets seems weak. The Cayenne doesn't have a PDK so there's no connection here to that. The PDK gearbox is essentially a manual. Mobilube PTX 75-90 was specifically made for our gearboxes and they have special friction modifiers that I wouldn't compromise on, 4 liters for $38/liter and it lasts 100k miles to keep my $20k transmission working well seems fair. And the Clutches require FFL3 fluid, anything else will likely cause problems. I could understand not going with Pentosin brand (even though it's not that expensive and the only one Porsche approved) there are other manufacturers rated FFL3, so at a minimum I'd ensure it's FFL3. That said, I bought the kit from FCP which included Pan, Pan Bolts, and 6 Liters of Pentosin FFL3 for about $500. The Mobilube PTX can only be found at Suncoast, I bought 4 liters and still have about half of one left. If you're using something else, make sure it's GL4.5 rated. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2023, 05:06 AM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyk304
Hey - your car and up to you but transmission service interval for PDK is over 100k miles, so I didn't think the extra couple of hundred bucks on the genuine and approved parts/fluids, spread over that time frame, was worth cutting corners on. The aftermarket pans I've seen lack the metal lined drain plug hole, lack the magnets inside to capture any metal flakes, and the gaskets seems weak. The Cayenne doesn't have a PDK so there's no connection here to that. The PDK gearbox is essentially a manual. Mobilube PTX 75-90 was specifically made for our gearboxes and they have special friction modifiers that I wouldn't compromise on, 4 liters for $38/liter and it lasts 100k miles to keep my $20k transmission working well seems fair. And the Clutches require FFL3 fluid, anything else will likely cause problems. I could understand not going with Pentosin brand (even though it's not that expensive and the only one Porsche approved) there are other manufacturers rated FFL3, so at a minimum I'd ensure it's FFL3. That said, I bought the kit from FCP which included Pan, Pan Bolts, and 6 Liters of Pentosin FFL3 for about $500. The Mobilube PTX can only be found at Suncoast, I bought 4 liters and still have about half of one left. If you're using something else, make sure it's GL4.5 rated. Good luck.
the beck arnley pan has 5 star reviews on every site that sells it, and the liqui moly fluid along with motul was the recommended alternate fluid on pelican parts and fcp. I see what you’re saying about the pan but I actually thought the liqui moly fluids would be better. This is just a ZF dual clutch transmission, just programmed very well by Porsche.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:13 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

OK So I am a little confused.

Sounds like there are 3 things
PDK clutch fluid with transmission pan/filter- which I just got the dealer replaced
Transmission oil- that's the PTX 75w-90

and then there is a final drive gear? or is that only for AWD cars?

Last edited by vodkag; 11-29-2023 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: [HOW-TO] PDK Fluid change