Sponsored by:

Wireless Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:36 PM
granjour
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Wireless Apple CarPlay

Was looking for a new car for the wife, test drove the new Audi Q8 and was excited to see some manufactures have figured out wireless CarPlay. I purchased the Pitaka magnetic wireless charger for my C4S a while back and got it solely so I didn't have to fish around and plug in my phone every time I got into the car to charge. Problem is I use CarPlay so that solved nothing. Wonder if the 992's have / will have this feature. Here is some info on manufactures already doing this in their autos

https://www.carplaylife.com/feature/...play-wireless/
Old 06-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Nottoworry
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by granjour
Was looking for a new car for the wife, test drove the new Audi Q8 and was excited to see some manufactures have figured out wireless CarPlay. I purchased the Pitaka magnetic wireless charger for my C4S a while back and got it solely so I didn't have to fish around and plug in my phone every time I got into the car to charge. Problem is I use CarPlay so that solved nothing. Wonder if the 992's have / will have this feature. Here is some info on manufactures already doing this in their autos

I was told the new refreshed macan has come to dealers with wireless CarPlay. This was unexpected by the dealers. My dealer seems to think the 992 will come with wireless CarPlay also. I’ve looked all over and can not confirm this
Old 06-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Seems that, while Porsche makes great cars, they are on the lagging edge of technology when it comes to music and electronics. I would be surprised if they have wireless carplay in the 992.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by granjour

Wireless car play has been around for at least a few years, if not more. My past BMWs all had it.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:45 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I recently purchased a CPO 2017 C2S and subsequently purchased an iPhone 7. Setup Bluetooth which worked fine for the telephone directory. Never tried Apply Car Play until a few weeks later when taking a friend for a ride and wanting to use Waze, when we connected to my car via the Apple supplied USB to iPhone cable in the port under the center armrest, the center dash screen popped up two choices: iPod or Apple Car Play, and my friend who knows much more about computers and such touched the Apple Car Play button on the screen and quickly the Waze app that we had already opened on the iPhone appeared on the PCM center display screen and continued to work faultlessly for rest of our drive which was about 75 minutes total. A few days later when I was in my car alone with the iPhone in my pocket since I was not planning to be very long in the car, the PCM center display popped up choices including if I wanted Bluetooth [which was already active] and after I touched the message/icon on the PCM display, the Apple Car Play display appeared on the PCM display and Waze also worked. I was quite surprised by that.

As others may already know -- I'm definitely a beginner, this being my first smartphone ever and my first Porsche ever and my first experiences with Waze and Apple Car Play and many other modern mobile electronics/communications systems -- when using Waze in the mode in which it is displayed on the PCM center screen, your normal telephone directory from that same smartphone via Bluetooth doesn't register in the small circular Porsche multi-information display screen that is located to the right of the tachometer. My car simply displays that the telephone directory is not available. But the directory and ability to make calls is available via the green icon button that appears on the left side among a vertical column of choices in the PCM center screen, i.e. to the left side of the Waze display of maps and information icons on that map display. So, apparently, when in Waze, at least on my iPhone 7, it overrides the normal telephone directory function. Also, when displaying Waze on the PCM center screen, the icon / command buttons appearing in that column on the left side are fewer in number than what appear when using Waze directly on the display screen of my iPhone 7.

If it matters, my C2S was first entered in service circa December of 2017, and CPO check/service was completed in December of 2018.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

deleted
Old 06-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Ccarrieta
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had wireless CarPlay in my M4 and it did not drain the battery.. I’m happy with my 2019 GTS but sure miss wireless carplay
Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Ccarrieta
Track Day

Default Work around for wireless CarPlay

I was able to figure out a wireless CarPlay workaround that still leaves the car “stock”.. using the sdkauto android box first and then a CarPlay dongle I got from amazon wireless CarPlay or android auto both work.. still working out some bugs.. there are occasional disconnects but I think those are more on the single side of things..
Old 06-19-2019, 10:01 AM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DR911s
I recently purchased a CPO 2017 C2S and subsequently purchased an iPhone 7. Setup Bluetooth which worked fine for the telephone directory. Never tried Apply Car Play until a few weeks later when taking a friend for a ride and wanting to use Waze, when we connected to my car via the Apple supplied USB to iPhone cable in the port under the center armrest, the center dash screen popped up two choices: iPod or Apple Car Play, and my friend who knows much more about computers and such touched the Apple Car Play button on the screen and quickly the Waze app that we had already opened on the iPhone appeared on the PCM center display screen and continued to work faultlessly for rest of our drive which was about 75 minutes total. A few days later when I was in my car alone with the iPhone in my pocket since I was not planning to be very long in the car, the PCM center display popped up choices including if I wanted Bluetooth [which was already active] and after I touched the message/icon on the PCM display, the Apple Car Play display appeared on the PCM display and Waze also worked. I was quite surprised by that.
I can't help but wonder how this is possible. Can anyone else connect ACP wireless?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ccarrieta
I was able to figure out a wireless CarPlay workaround that still leaves the car “stock”.. using the sdkauto android box first and then a CarPlay dongle I got from amazon wireless CarPlay or android auto both work.. still working out some bugs.. there are occasional disconnects but I think those are more on the single side of things..
Keep us posted on this!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Ccarrieta
Track Day

So today something magical happened went into my car this am to go to work without thinking about it looked at the PCM screen and wireless CarPlay was connected and working!!! Nice.. Still a bit buggy but if you want to remain stock the sdkauto android box and dongle combo is the way to go.. waiting for a pixel to see if I can get wireless android. I tried a note 9 wired and works!!!
Old 06-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ccarrieta
So today something magical happened went into my car this am to go to work without thinking about it looked at the PCM screen and wireless CarPlay was connected and working!!! Nice.. Still a bit buggy but if you want to remain stock the sdkauto android box and dongle combo is the way to go.. waiting for a pixel to see if I can get wireless android. I tried a note 9 wired and works!!!

Details please!
Old 06-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Details please!
Yes, please. A link to proper parts to purchase would be appreciated. I have an iPhone X if that matters.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Ccarrieta
Track Day

Here are the links :
http://www.sdkautos.com
I bought the dongle in amazon its made by carlinkit. There are two versions a wired only and a wired/wireless version which is the one I purchased..
Even without the wireless dongle having full android and the advantages this brings adds functionality to the PCM

Will continue to test and post
Old 06-20-2019, 06:27 PM
cosmo1
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

In for details for iPhone x

Quick Reply: Wireless Apple CarPlay