Sponsored by:

Help! Targa 4 or Targa 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:19 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I originally ordered a Targa 4S but after going back to the configurator and playing around with what I really wanted it turned out that the Targa GTS was a better deal for me so I cancelled the order and placed one for the Targa GTS, which I have now. It all depends on what you want so I suggest doing the same thing that I did. I found that paying $4k more got me the added power, which was worth it to get a GTS model that will be worth more in the long run.
More worth in the long run is relative. These cars depreciate pretty fast, mainly because finding brand new 2017 or 2018, and/or very slightly used CPO 2017 and 2018 cars at dealers is not uncommon, at least in the States. The more optioned, the more depreciation, and trade in values are appreciably less. To the OP, I would not buy a current model year if searching for bang for the buck.

I found my new 2017 T4S in summer of 2018 and did get a $15k discount for it being a year old (plus free Xpel), yet it has depreciated $20k retail from my purchase price ($35k trade in) since I took ownership and it only has 3k miles.

If you go to the Porsche locator you can pull up the build sheet on every used car you find so you can calculate the deal you're being offered in terms of discount from what was its original MSRP. It's enlightening.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Being worth more was something I mentioned for others since the GTS will be worth more, period. But I don't care one way or the other since what I wanted was no where to be found so ordering was my only option - when I pay what I did for a car I am not settling for anything.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

I agree.

To OP, if you end with the 4 don’t ever drive the S or the GTS. You would likely want more power.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:39 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

You’ll have to check Cam’s stats but I believe the Targa 4 is one of the rarest 991 Carreras you can buy.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:47 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Rare does not mean desirable.....
Old 03-13-2019, 04:18 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Being worth more was something I mentioned for others since the GTS will be worth more, period.
We're talking past each other, no big deal. Of course the used GTS should retail for more than a base, all things being equal. Not denying that elementary point.

Consider this:
Lightly optioned base Targa sells for $125k and 2 years later is worth $100k. Reasonable.
Decently optioned Targa GTS costs $165k and 2 years later is worth $120k. Reasonable.

Yes, your car will retail for more in the out years. But you lost $45k in 2 years and the owner of the base Targa lost $25k. Hence my point in that the more optioned the car, the more value it will lose.

None of which has anything to do with the perceived joy each may bring. But a GTS is not automatically more joyous to own/drive than a base. That's entirely up to the individual consumer.

Because there are so many options to consider when buying a Porsche, it's not such an easy choice, and comparing already configured cars is even harder especially for those who may have more difficulty differentiating options, let alone models.

My car's build sheet is 3 pages long. Key to why it's depreciated so much. My GT4 is also highly optioned, yet has depreciated very little. Oh Porsche, thanks for making all this so complex.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Waterloo
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Again, this is a very helpful discussion and I appreciate all the thoughtful input you guys are giving.

I am leaning towards the GTS (partially due to my wife saying she would rather me pay more for the GTS than drive a red Targa, I love the Carrera Red but I am willing to take advantage of her dislike!).

I apologize that I don’t remember the name of the commenter that said I should pay more for options and make the GTS mine. Unfortunately a stripped down car is more me than a loaded one! I like to buy the best that I can afford. Stepping up to the Targa is a bold move for me.

Regadring used Targas, on Porsche Canada’s website there are 8 used 991.2 Targas available. 3 GTS, 4 4S and one 4. The asking price for the 4 is about 99% of the MSRP, the GTS’ are 99% of MSRP down to 91% of MSRP and the 4S are the same, about 92%. And they way they are optioned they are still thousands more than the new one I am looking to buy. I don’t want to even bother negotiating at those prices! I am getting 3% off the new allocation being built mid May. I hate Canadian dealers!

Old 03-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterloo
Again, this is a very helpful discussion and I appreciate all the thoughtful input you guys are giving.

I am leaning towards the GTS (partially due to my wife saying she would rather me pay more for the GTS than drive a red Targa, I love the Carrera Red but I am willing to take advantage of her dislike!).

I apologize that I don’t remember the name of the commenter that said I should pay more for options and make the GTS mine. Unfortunately a stripped down car is more me than a loaded one! I like to buy the best that I can afford. Stepping up to the Targa is a bold move for me.

Regadring used Targas, on Porsche Canada’s website there are 8 used 991.2 Targas available. 3 GTS, 4 4S and one 4. The asking price for the 4 is about 99% of the MSRP, the GTS’ are 99% of MSRP down to 91% of MSRP and the 4S are the same, about 92%. And they way they are optioned they are still thousands more than the new one I am looking to buy. I don’t want to even bother negotiating at those prices! I am getting 3% off the new allocation being built mid May. I hate Canadian dealers!

In all fairness, you are doing really well with a discount in Canada! Canada is the cheapest country in the world to buy a 911 and when you factor in the exchange rate, you are well ahead of the US price list. The reason the prices of the used Targas are so high in Canada is that they can be delivered across the border. The same logic applies if you want to sell your car - you are getting a better deal on the front end so you will lose less in depreciation as you have the whole North American market on your side. Get the GTS if it is what you really want. But hurry! The 992 price adjustment may not be in your favour.
https://www.total911.com/ride-along-...t-laguna-seca/
Old 03-14-2019, 11:53 AM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterloo

I ended up going with the base Targa 4 because I wanted to CXX several options onto the car (which even after adding to the build sheet I ended-up at $128K with a $3500 discount). If I did the same build onto the 4S I hit over $145K and the GTS landed me near $170K. I basically built a Targa 4 S without the "S" (Torque Vector, 20" Wheels, I liked the look of the quad exhaust over the sport exhaust, etc). because I knew I was going to tune the car (watching this video where the stock 4 just did a $1800 Cobb tune and clearly pulls on the 4S did it for me
). But as everyone points out the only way you can really lose is if you try and make this a game about math and how much the car will depreciate (or not) - I decided I would rather take the close to $20K difference on my build and get the 4 with all the goodies I wanted + spend the additional $20K over the next few years on Tune / Exhaust / Cats / Wheels + Tires for the track. I will soon be $145K into the car anyway and all the work I am doing will probably hurt resale value or at the least I will have to strip everything off if I plan on selling it and then lose money on installs and if I'm lucky sell of any bolt on parts for pennys on the dollar. My final though is I drove a Turbo S Cab for a weekend on both the streets, highway and on the track and I left the car completely amazed and confused - it is just so much car. There is a great thread on "When 370HP is enough and it really is esp. for street driving. Enjoy!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:38 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt the more options you check that is almost an immediate loss when you sell. The smarter buy is either a slightly used like i just got (2018 Targa 4GTS for 147.5 which had a 175 sticker ) or a low low option targa4GTS.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:45 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Skimping on options for the sake of not getting more when one sells makes no sense to me, which is why I ordered, to get what I wanted. If one is spending that much to begin with why not spend the extra coin and get what one wants?! And I can care less what someone thinks about how I spec'd my car - I did not buy it for the next owner.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:51 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people could care less how much of a bath they take and others rather wait and save a significant amount. I know that if I was ordering a 2019 which I had an allocation for my build was going to be about 149. And basically most of that was PDK and chalk paint. I had the opportunity to buy a 2018 with 1900 miles with the 175 sticker for 147.5. So I have over $30,000 worth of options that I would have never chosen. Everybody has their own way of looking at this.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:55 PM
Waterloo
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had an up and down week. The allocation I was looking at was sold while I was away. I admit I was wavering but when I finally said I wanted it it was gone! I was devastated. But today my dealer was able to trade for a May build so I am back on track!

I am sticking with my low option build. I really like the idea of a "basic" car. White, standard interior in leather, manual, LCA, RAS, heated and cooled seats and Bose. I am having a bit of trouble withe the steering wheel. I am told the GT sport steering wheel on the GTS isn't heated or multi function (I need the heat!). The US configurator shows a "heated multi function wheel" but Canada doesn't. Does anyone know if the GT is heated multi function? Or will I have to go with the Carbon Fiber wheel? I have no problem going with the carbon but I would prefer the leather.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I asked about heating on the GT Sport steering wheel (non GTS car) because the option to add this doesn’t exist on the configurator. My dealer told me it was included ... I’ll find out when my car arrives in the next couple weeks. I plan to drive my car in the winter so if the dealer has to swap out the wheel for one that meets my specs, so be it.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 AM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

To me, the best car to purchase is the one you like the best that's within your budget. Good luck to the OP! I'm in the same boat BobZ was in - I've looked everywhere and there are no cars available that are exactly what I want so I ordered one. It's a lifetime keeper for me so don't care about resale.

Quick Reply: Help! Targa 4 or Targa 4 GTS