Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Help! Targa 4 or Targa 4 GTS (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1132722-help-targa-4-or-targa-4-gts.html)

Waterloo 03-08-2019 11:31 AM

Help! Targa 4 or Targa 4 GTS

I need a little guidance. I am in Canada and looking for a new Targa. They are limited here and most of the builds are loaded and crazy expensive (and have PDK).

I have found a new Guards Red Targa 4 with limited options and a build I like (I think I would only have added sport chrono) build code http://www.porsche-code.com/PKILMW73 I am concerned I would like more performance and had hoped to find a similar 4S.

So I did an ideal build on a 4S (again, limiting the options and cost) and there is nothing available. My dealer came back and pointed out that for an extra $4000 I could get a Targa 4 GTS (they have an allocation being built mid May). So, this is the stripper build for the GTS I came up with http://www.porsche-code.com/PK3ZLDN1

Dealers here are really annoying with their lack of discounts. I have “negotiated” a $5000 CAD discount on both cars. This really is a case of creeping commitment. I'm good with the $159k for the 4 and was willing to stretch to $178k for the 4S but the GTS is $183

To my questions - Is the Targa GTS “worth” $24,000 more than the Targa 4? Am I missing anything on the stripped down GTS build that should make me rethink this? What is the $24,000 getting me on the GTS that the 4 doesn’t have other than bigger brakes, sport chrono and 80 hp? Do I really need the extra performance?

Sorry for throwing this out on my first post. I have been hanging around here for a while soaking up everyone’s knowledge, unfortunately I don’t feel any smarter! 😊

Thanks,
J

Bob Z. 03-09-2019 01:24 PM

I originally ordered a Targa 4S but after going back to the configurator and playing around with what I really wanted it turned out that the Targa GTS was a better deal for me so I cancelled the order and placed one for the Targa GTS, which I have now. It all depends on what you want so I suggest doing the same thing that I did. I found that paying $4k more got me the added power, which was worth it to get a GTS model that will be worth more in the long run.

Fbrooksr 03-09-2019 01:55 PM

A different view

Not to add to the confusion, but to give a counter point: I recently struggled as well with what to get in the Targa line. I had a '12 997.2 MT Targa 4 that I loved and was easily customizable, but I always felt I was missing something. I looked hard at a '16 Targa 4 GTS, but didn't really like the interior. Too much Alcantara. I ultimately settled on a '19 Targa 4S. I'm very happy with it, and still like the interior better than the GTS.

One of the great things about Porsches is they are infinitely customizable. You can spend some or a lot (never a little! LoL!). You will be very happy with either. You will be proud of either and enjoy driving either. The GTS is one bad machine! But the 4S is, too. Enjoy the decision making process, and then enjoy the car. Best wishes!

Bob Z. 03-09-2019 02:04 PM

I did not care for the Alcantara either so I opted for full leather in my Targa GTS and besides, I wanted ventilated seats, which cannot be had with Alcantara. And I also opted for the 5 lug Satin Black wheels vice the centerlocks.

Waterloo 03-09-2019 02:26 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I agree this is tough! My choice is limited to the 4 and the GTS (based on availability). I am worried the 4 will leave me wanting and I am worried that in trying to be somewhat cost conscious I am missing something on my GTS build that would make the car special (rear wheel steering?). I don’t care for Alcantara either so I chose to delete that option (although it is still in a few areas). In the end, the GTS will only have about $4000 in options and the 4 has about $16000 in options (most of which are included in the GTS).

I know no one can speak to what will work for me I just need to work through spending $24,000 more for the GTS. It’s tough being cheap!

thanks again

SockToy 03-09-2019 02:46 PM

Buy what you love, man. For me the 4 has more power than I'll reasonably ever use, but agility (rw steering), and specialness are more important. I hate the GTS headrest stitching - I'd place agility, pts/lts and burmester over extra hp. The Targa is already adding weight for beauty with the roof mechanism. Other people would call me crazy and refuse anything without a power kit. Others would demand a carerra t or Cayman as the only real sports cars.

Ask yourself if you'll hate not having the GTS. go look at both if you're not sure. If it's a near thing you probably can't go wrong; if it's not you'll know.

And if you can afford it, don't let 24k make you settle on what is at the end of the day extreme wish fulfillment. If it doesn't fulfil your wishes, what's the point?

(I'd get the 4 and put the money to natural leather, stitching and paint to spec, saving nothing; I prefer the silver look to the GTS black and don't like the alacantra or carbon)

shammerman 03-09-2019 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Waterloo (Post 15691801)
Thanks for the input guys. I agree this is tough! My choice is limited to the 4 and the GTS (based on availability). I am worried the 4 will leave me wanting and I am worried that in trying to be somewhat cost conscious I am missing something on my GTS build that would make the car special (rear wheel steering?). I don’t care for Alcantara either so I chose to delete that option (although it is still in a few areas). In the end, the GTS will only have about $4000 in options and the 4 has about $16000 in options (most of which are included in the GTS).

I know no one can speak to what will work for me I just need to work through spending $24,000 more for the GTS. It’s tough being cheap!

thanks again

Here is my two cents (or a little more): If you get the 4, you will always wonder if you should spent the extra money and purchased the GTS. If you get the GTS, you will never wonder if you would have been better off not spending the money and purchased the 4.(I love my 4S!)

good2go 03-09-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr (Post 15691738)
Not to add to the confusion, but to give a counter point: I recently struggled as well with what to get in the Targa line. I had a '12 997.2 MT Targa 4 that I loved and was easily customizable, but I always felt I was missing something. I looked hard at a '16 Targa 4 GTS, but didn't really like the interior. Too much Alcantara. I ultimately settled on a '19 Targa 4S. I'm very happy with it, and still like the interior better than the GTS.

One of the great things about Porsches is they are infinitely customizable. You can spend some or a lot (never a little! LoL!). You will be very happy with either. You will be proud of either and enjoy driving either. The GTS is one bad machine! But the 4S is, too. Enjoy the decision making process, and then enjoy the car. Best wishes!

I bought a 4S over a GTS also because of the interior (I have Carrera not Targa). But you can also add a PowerKit if you wan the performance of the GTS.

goldduster 03-09-2019 07:00 PM

If its the difference between the 4S and GTS for $4k, I'd go for the GTS everyday. But, If it the difference between the Base and a GTS at $24k that would slow me down. You must make the decision as to what you want. The base to either the 4S or GTS at $20/$24 is not comparable in any way.

Waterloo 03-09-2019 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by goldduster (Post 15692349)
If its the difference between the 4S and GTS for $4k, I'd go for the GTS everyday. But, If it the difference between the Base and a GTS at $24k that would slow me down. You must make the decision as to what you want. The base to either the 4S or GTS at $20/$24 is not comparable in any way.

That’s most likely the most sane answer one will ever receive on rennslist. Ever. The real question becomes, do my children really have to go to college? Kidding of course.

spdracerut 03-09-2019 10:11 PM

What type of driver are you? Do you floor it often? If so, GTS. If not, go base. Or, go base and get a Cobb accessport amd a stage 1 tune will put you above the power of the GTS. Of course, your warranty is done for.

Bob Z. 03-09-2019 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Waterloo (Post 15692647)

That’s most likely the most sane answer one will ever receive on rennslist. Ever. The real question becomes, do my children really have to go to college? Kidding of course.

Why? Personally, since I have a GTS and have driven a Base, $24k more for a GTS makes total sense to me, and probably most every other GTS owner.

Waterloo 03-10-2019 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 15692679)
Why? Personally, since I have a GTS and have driven a Base, $24k more for a GTS makes total sense to me, and probably most every other GTS owner.

Only because it says that $24,000 is a lot of money and should give one pause. On a forum dedicated to crazy expensive cars I didn’t really expect to hear that.

That being said, I am am leaning towards the GTS. I spent yesterday (and will be the rest of the week) driving a 2017 base cabriolet with pdk. It needs to be in sport or sport+ all the time to enjoy it.

This conversation is really helpful! Thanks

Icebreaker 03-11-2019 12:43 AM

Hi from Halifax. I had the chance to drive a Targa 4 and 4S on the local track during a Porsche event. I too was agonizing over the power VS the base. Once on the track, the only noticeable difference was on the back stretch. Since I came from a background of slalom racing, and not drag racing, I was more interested in handling. I was sold on the .2 car that day. I really wanted the Targa, although I knew the coupe handled better. I also knew the GTS Targa was in the same price range... as well as the GT3 Touring. This purchase and process was a big deal for me as I never owned a new car before. I do all my own wrenching and have swapped three engines in previous builds. I therefore thought long and hard on this Targa purchase.

I ended up buying the base Targa with all the performance options. My wife chose the GT Silver; but trimmed it with acid green stitching and other fun tricks. She loves the car and I let her be the first to drive it when it finally arrived off the boat. It was a long drive to our favourite seaside escape. It was so thrilling to see her push the car through the curves as I listened to every note emanating from the mill. I finally got to drive it on the way back and it was worth the wait!

My personal decision for going this route was based on the .2 engines basically being the same across the platforms with minor differences that I could deal with IF needed. I preferred the smaller turbos for throttle response on corners... etc... but I didn't want to miss out on the fun options from the factory that you just can't easily add after the fact. I even went the CXX route just for the fun of it. Anyway, the base Targa is anything but "base". I am not going to track a Targa, nor do I have access to an interstate in this part of the world where I would probably consider the extra torque. What I do have is miles of blacktop winding into fishing villages with tons of curves and elevation changes. The car is a blast for where I drive and so far I haven't felt the need for more power.

If you can resist the urges of taking on the Hellcats, Mustangs and monster trucks salivating to pass a Porsche, and just enjoy the finesse of the drive, you will be happy. I have found that there is always going to be a newer car, faster boat and a younger wife. I'm happy and not tempted to trade..

Werks 1 03-13-2019 11:32 AM

I like the GTS Targa over the 4S.....There are some differences that I did not notice until I received delivery....... GTS Speedo numbers were different...Targa GTS Grill was different on the 991.1 than the 4S........ Front Grill Grill is different....Yes more expensive, but more unique....... I did receive 6% discount on a custom order, $11,000US....which was good at the time...... I would prefer a well optioned 4s vs a basic GTS......... but I have a well optioned GTS..... I have custom ordered 911 since 1984 ... Look at CXX options...expensive but unique... I looked at your build on the config........ Kind of bland.......If you are going to order a car.......spend some money on some options to make it unique to YOU!!!! ...........Good Luck