Sponsored by:

How much does it cost to CPO a car

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:36 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
It's very mileage dependent. I just paid $4100 for 3/36 on a '13C2S that had 41k on it at the time.
How much more years and mileage does that give you coverage for?

Old 03-09-2019, 09:51 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze
How much more years and mileage does that give you coverage for?
Like I said, 3/36, 3 years, 36k miles.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

6 years, 100k miles from new, which is adding 2 years: https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...ures/warranty/

And: https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...rscheapproved/
Old 03-09-2019, 11:23 AM
rff15e
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever it is, it's not worth it. I have a 2012.5 C2S and almost everything I've actually needed the CPO for Porsche has come up with some way to not deliver. You need Roadside assistance? Sure - but you pay it until they can verify it was caused by something covered by the warranty and then you may submit a claim that can take a long time to get "approved." Dealership is closed when you need a tow? Better call a taxi or uber - Porsche doesn't cover that one. The only thing they did actually do was swap the changeover valves. When the A/C wouldn't work it took about a month for them to get the car in for an appointment and all to say that it was a leaking condenser caused by a rock chip that hit one of the tiny fins - which was not a valid warranty claim since it was caused by road debris. Not to mention when I got the car back from the dealership, it had a small scrape in the back bumper. Now, they offered to touch it up - I was just annoyed that I was the one who found it. It takes forever to schedule an appointment and good luck getting a courtesy car if you actually have something that goes wrong with the car where it needs immediate attention.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:50 AM
spyd
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rff15e
Whatever it is, it's not worth it. I have a 2012.5 C2S and almost everything I've actually needed the CPO for Porsche has come up with some way to not deliver. You need Roadside assistance? Sure - but you pay it until they can verify it was caused by something covered by the warranty and then you may submit a claim that can take a long time to get "approved." Dealership is closed when you need a tow? Better call a taxi or uber - Porsche doesn't cover that one. The only thing they did actually do was swap the changeover valves. When the A/C wouldn't work it took about a month for them to get the car in for an appointment and all to say that it was a leaking condenser caused by a rock chip that hit one of the tiny fins - which was not a valid warranty claim since it was caused by road debris. Not to mention when I got the car back from the dealership, it had a small scrape in the back bumper. Now, they offered to touch it up - I was just annoyed that I was the one who found it. It takes forever to schedule an appointment and good luck getting a courtesy car if you actually have something that goes wrong with the car where it needs immediate attention.
Sorry to hear this, what Dealership?
Old 03-10-2019, 07:10 AM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah that sounds terrible and makes me feel rather uneasy being I just grabbed a 2012.5 with CPO. Please tell me it’s not the same dealer that sold you the car.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:32 PM
rff15e
Advanced

Originally Posted by spyd
Sorry to hear this, what Dealership?
The dealership I took it to for the A/C was Autobahn in Fort Worth - they were nice, but they said there's nothing they could do for the condenser. I bought the car out of state in Midlothian, VA - the dealership there couldn't care less. I think some of it was my fault, I took them at their word for the 111+ point inspection, etc. I didn't check the tire tool kit when I bought it and discovered it was all completely missing (well, they left the took hook) a week or so afterwards (and many, many miles away from the dealership). The passenger side window didn't work when I tried it (didn't try it at the dealership). I was pretty annoyed that the changeover valves failed as did a wiring harness only weeks after buying it. I tried contacting the dealership I purchased it from a couple times through phone and email, but I didn't really get a helpful response other than "we're sorry, but these things happen with used cars." I guess they certainly do have a point. I posted an informative reply on Google reviews and they acted like I never tried contacting the dealership.

Having said all of that, I'm sure other people have had good experiences with the CPO. I haven't really seen a value in the CPO product. I think most people would be better served by reviewing the maintenance records, getting a very good PPI, and saving the $$ for a likely repair.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:08 AM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Still not totally sure I get the picture. I understand the VA selling dealer not caring since you’re so far away and likely won’t have a future relationship, but you’re saying your current Porsche dealer in FtW also won’t help out?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM
rff15e
Advanced

Originally Posted by shootermcgavin
Still not totally sure I get the picture. I understand the VA selling dealer not caring since you’re so far away and likely won’t have a future relationship, but you’re saying your current Porsche dealer in FtW also won’t help out?
The Ft Worth dealer said they wouldn't cover the A/C condenser since one of the fins was damaged by a rock chip. They said that it's not a common enough problem to replace it and that road debris damage would need to be covered by my insurance company for a claim. I just replaced it myself and did a write up/DIY on here.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:22 PM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 59 Posts

I don’t think the original factory warranty would cover that kind of damage caused by road debris.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:46 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 123 Posts

CPO is great if the dealer catches all the requirements. Problem is the dealer has to pay to correct issues and that reduces profit. Once CPO'd everything except major failure is a "wear" item not covered. I had zero luck with CPO also and would not matter if my next one had it or not. Weather stripping split by front window (not covered wear and tear) should been covered during CPO process. Seat has movement, not covered normal wear and tear on a 22K miler car, lol. The dealer has an enormous amount of authority if CPO covered or not. If you not going to patronize deaelership with $600 reach around oil changes you can do yourself for $75 they won't be to apt to give you what you were sold on the CPO....
Old 04-22-2024, 09:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I am going to save the link to this thread if I sell my car since so many will not buy a used one without a CPO.
The following users liked this post:
SilverSFR (04-22-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 02:41 PM
K996
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll do a counterpoint, when I was searching for mine in 2022/early2023 I initially didn't think I'd be looking at CPO cars but once I was really paying close attention to the market, the price delta wasnt really that significant...especially when factoring in that the maintenance for a CPO car was up to date for age and/or mileage (but yeah you need to verify this on your own by getting the records).

In addition, when reviewing the records I also found that they had done a fair amount (~$4000 in parts alone.. yeah Porsche tax on parts but still) of refurb on worn/damaged items that I probably wouldnt have thought much about like the touch up work inside and out, inner fender liner, plastic side skirt, inner door handle and actuator in addition to new tires, etc. Definitely more than I expected to see done on a used car and the car to me looked quite good for its age and mileage and compared very well to other examples I was looking at. Oh and since it didn't have an extra key available when I picked it up, they gave me an IOU voucher to get it done with my local Porsche dealer at their expense, I think they weren't so happy with that decision a few months later but a sincere thank you Rennlist for letting me know that this was supposed to be included with the CPO car as I was not aware and hadn't really thought much about it.

In the year since, I've had 2 claims on the car for CPO repair with one being relatively simple (boost sensor) and the other being more complex/expensive (DME computer so maybe $1500 part?). Given the pricing and age of the car and with turbos, the extra complexity involved... I felt more comfortable having the CPO warranty to cover major failures for 2 yrs.
I dont need or expect CPO for interior squeaks and road rash so I had no expectation that the CPO would cover stone damage to an AC condenser or similar, it would be different if the compressor failed and that would be covered as far as I know.

Did they "catch" every little thing with the car? No, but they got the major stuff (including things that I likely wouldnt notice) and that makes the car show a lot better as well as giving me contractual reassurance that the thing wasn't going to have a major failure (PDK, engine, electronics) and I'm on my own with it. YMMV.

Overall I would buy a CPO car again, but it's important to understand what you're getting for that premium and make sure you're comparing a non-CPO car on equal footing (ie, all maintenance and sufficiently cheaper to offset the similar aftermarket warranty cost and anything you missed or was undetectable during inspection).

Quick Reply: How much does it cost to CPO a car