Sponsored by:

911 T main drive belt cracked

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024 | 05:55 PM
captainz
Track Day

Default 911 T main drive belt cracked

Hello everyone, need advice please.

i have a CPO (until june 24) 2018 911 T with 14300 miles.
The last service was done with a Porsche dealer last year (the 40000 mile big service).
i decided to take the car in to an awesome Independent shoppe for its oil change (5 year service) today and to my surprise the "main drive belt"
was found with a crack in it thus needing a change at 14.3k miles. I okayed the repair at 4 hours labor and a 72 dollar belt.

my question are:
1/ is this part a warranty part under cpo since its cracking at 14.3k instead of the 60k mark?

2/ how does an independent mechanic that specializes in 911s help me get that warranty working for me? I always said i would continue to
Use a dealership for mx until my cpo ran out but for some reason i thought i would switch over for the oil change. and now a cracked belt Is discovered.

3/ any suggestions? The dealers will not tell me if the crack is under warranty until they do an inspection. Saving time , i decided to have the reputable Indy mechanic replace the belt.

thank u so much in advance

CZ
Old 04-22-2024 | 06:03 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

It's not just 60k miles but it is also time based at 6 years. I have a 2018 and got my belt done last year since I bought it in July 2017.

I think it would be a tough road to get Porsche to reimburse you for warranty work that you had done at a non-Porsche dealership. Doesn't hurt to ask and show them the belt. I doubt you will get anything though.

Old 04-22-2024 | 06:29 PM
captainz
Track Day

Originally Posted by subshooter
It's not just 60k miles but it is also time based at 6 years. I have a 2018 and got my belt done last year since I bought it in July 2017.

I think it would be a tough road to get Porsche to reimburse you for warranty work that you had done at a non-Porsche dealership. Doesn't hurt to ask and show them the belt. I doubt you will get anything though.
thank you. So basically, moving forward, anytime one has a CPO, one must stick to a dealership?

thanks

Old 04-22-2024 | 09:28 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Getting non-warranty work (oil /filter change) done by an independent shop is not an issue. Getting Porsche to authorize payment for warranty work completed by an independent shop is an issue.
Old 04-22-2024 | 09:34 PM
captainz
Track Day

Originally Posted by DBH
Getting non-warranty work (oil /filter change) done by an independent shop is not an issue. Getting Porsche to authorize payment for warranty work completed by an independent shop is an issue.
i get it. But what does one do when u go in for an oil change from a reputable INDY Mech and he calls u with the news that your belt is cracked?

you are kinda on your own. You have 2 choices, either let the reputable Indy do the work or take the car to the dealership in which now the dealership will blame the INDY on the cracked belt.

i feel fortunate this Indy found the belt crack because the dealership missed the belt last year when they changed the filter. I only drove the car 800 miles since last service.

thnks

Old 04-22-2024 | 09:46 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by captainz
you are kinda on your own. You have 2 choices, either let the reputable Indy do the work or take the car to the dealership in which now the dealership will blame the INDY on the cracked belt.
Well, first kindly tell your indy thanks for alerting you of the bad belt. Second, go to the dealer and let them know you've unearthed what appears to be a cracked belt and would they please take care of it under the warranty. The indy's work need not even enter the dialog. Just sayin...
Old 04-22-2024 | 10:00 PM
Nikobimmer
Rennlist Member

My 2019 T had its belt snap at about 19,000 miles.
Old 04-22-2024 | 10:20 PM
captainz
Track Day

Originally Posted by DBH
Well, first kindly tell your indy thanks for alerting you of the bad belt. Second, go to the dealer and let them know you've unearthed what appears to be a cracked belt and would they please take care of it under the warranty. The indy's work need not even enter the dialog. Just sayin...
Thank you.
Old 04-22-2024 | 10:22 PM
captainz
Track Day

Originally Posted by Nikobimmer
My 2019 T had its belt snap at about 19,000 miles.
wow. Thank god replacing the belt is not a budget breaker. My Indy is super good. I guess ill take the hit and pay the 600-900 bucks to get this 72 dollar part replaced.

thanks
Old 04-22-2024 | 11:07 PM
NF4710
Pro

4 hours of labor for the drive belt? Seems a bit much to me…is that the norm?

NF
Old 04-22-2024 | 11:11 PM
captainz
Track Day

Originally Posted by NF4710

NF
apparently.
Old 04-22-2024 | 11:17 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NF4710

NF
Having done this job last year, the fascia is removed, some more ducting is removed, you have to remove the carriage bolt which is a pain but there are tricks to make it easier. Then you can remove and replace the belt. Everything goes back where it came from, and I’d say 4 hours is a fair estimate. Although someone can probably do it a little quicker with help and knowing what they’re doing. It’s basically everything that is done for an air filter change plus another 30 min of stuff to get at and replace the belt. It’s not a bad idea to replace the belt tensioner damper while you’re in there. I replaced mine last year and the thing has already started leaking oil, so needless to say they are common failure.

Last edited by MingusDew; 04-22-2024 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2024 | 11:43 PM
captainz
Track Day

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Having done this job last year, the fascia is removed, some more ducting is removed, you have to remove the carriage bolt which is a pain but there are tricks to make it easier. Then you can remove and replace the belt. Everything goes back where it came from, and I’d say 4 hours is a fair estimate. Although someone can probably do it a little quicker with help and knowing what they’re doing. It’s basically everything that is done for an air filter change plus another 30 min of stuff to get at and replace the belt. It’s not a bad idea to replace the belt tensioner damper while you’re in there. I replaced mine last year and the thing has already started leaking oil, so needless to say they are common failure.
thank you. My Indy mech is reputable and fair.
Old 04-23-2024 | 09:46 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

On a +100k car, certainly through the CPO period, I take the vehicle only to Porsche. This situation is avoided and the car benefits from additional checks and recalls only Porsche knows about. Even tires, Porsche is competitive. On the other hand, an oil change is $350.
The following users liked this post:
captainz (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024 | 10:59 AM
captainz
Track Day

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
On a +100k car, certainly through the CPO period, I take the vehicle only to Porsche. This situation is avoided and the car benefits from additional checks and recalls only Porsche knows about. Even tires, Porsche is competitive. On the other hand, an oil change is $350.
the irony of the whole thing is: slight chance the dealer missed the belt crack last service 800 miles ago.

Lesson learned anyway. Next cpo car, ill stick with dealership until the warranty runs out. For some strange reason I was lead to believe a reputable independent mech. Would be able to handle warranty issues. My bad, Ill eat this one.all I did was go in for a oil change. Lol

Last edited by captainz; 04-23-2024 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 911 T main drive belt cracked