Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading my Panamera Turbo S for 991 4s or gts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019 | 12:18 PM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Originally Posted by dflowerz
I have owned only one Porsche which is the 991.2 C2s parked in the garage. I think they list it at 420hp or just under that, and after almost three years of ownership I am just fine with that. I can definitely see the appeal of an 800hp Panamera. That thing must be a beast! What I love about the 911 is that it's pretty fast and handles like a dream while at the same time being a fairly practical car to drive around. Before I got the C2s I test drove a non-turbo C4 and loved the handling but hated the anemic power, which I why I went for the 991.2 3 liter turbo engine which makes good torque down low. It's a nice engine! Maybe not as sonorous as the non-turbo cars but that is offset by the nice power curve. The other thing with hp and cars is that you can throw a lot of money at a car and get huge hp but everything gets really expensive because of the weight of the car and the forces involved that require stronger parts to deal with the power. My 911 seems like a good compromise. For pure insanity, take my Ducati V4s sport bike. Not including rider weight, the weight to power ratio is around 2lbs per hp. Nuts! And the bike is pretty light too. I am not sure if there is a car out there than can compete with the Ducati for pure thrills. But back to the 911. We decided for the first time ever to lease the car because we had no idea how we would feel about it after the newness wore off. Would we just get tired of it and costs associated with owning it? The lease is ending in a few months and NO WAY are we turning this car in. We love it, and plan to just pay off the car at lease end and keep the car long term. The 911 has classic looks that never grow old. Can't say that for any other Porsche. Good luck with your decision!
I completely agree about the classic looks. It will never grow old. I guess I need to drive some of these turbo 991.2 models and see how I feel. I like the wide body gts, but not impressed by the power. Maybe had I not had an 800 ho Panamera, power would be amazing. But I’m expecting too much out of the power I think. I need to feel more of a complete driving experience.
Old 03-04-2019 | 12:27 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

OP, for me coming from a Panamera 4S, I definitely felt that I lost a lot of space even for the daily thing (Well for me as this is my daily driver). The seats are rather tiny in the bag and IMHO they are really for golf bags or something. Sure you can put a small child there for a while but that won't last long, but you already have a Cayenne Daily so room for kids it's not really an issue then. I do miss the space the Panny gave for groceries or just lugging things around, that thing actually fit 4 of my 21" 3 piece wheels with tires on I went with a 991.1S manual as I really missed that manual trans every time I drive my wife's Cayman R.

If you're concerned about the power dip compared to your modded PannyTurbo, try and test out a .2 GTS or an S with a power kit to quell that power need, or if money doesn't concern then look into a used or new Turbo S. I don't think I saw a number in regards to price what your willing to pay or whether you wanted a .1 or .2 as the .2s come in turbo which you can easily bump the power up with some bolt on goodies to scratch that power itch.
Old 03-04-2019 | 12:30 PM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Yeah I probably lay should have led with a price haha. I’m looking to buy something around 80-90k. So used obviously. I don’t buy new anymore. I go through them too quick.
Old 03-04-2019 | 01:19 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Great place to find deals
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...91-a-1142.html
Old 03-04-2019 | 01:20 PM
Aggie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 800hpTurboS

I completely agree about the classic looks. It will never grow old. I guess I need to drive some of these turbo 991.2 models and see how I feel. I like the wide body gts, but not impressed by the power. Maybe had I not had an 800 ho Panamera, power would be amazing. But I’m expecting too much out of the power I think. I need to feel more of a complete driving experience.
I get what you are saying. I just came in here to comment that. As a guy who has always driven higher hp cars (current daily is a gen 3 CTS-V with 650 hp, just sold my 991 Turbo with 600 whp, have had multiple 1000+ whp cars) I was always searching for more power. Now I am starting to rethink that and focus on efficiency of using the power along with fun of driving, and this is why I am currently searching for the right 991.2 GTS with a manual. 2WD, Manual, Cat bypass and tune and make 500 whp at 3150lbs? Count me in. The porsche version of the C6 Z06 (without the valve issues lol)
Old 03-05-2019 | 07:55 AM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

I found a 2017 911 with the 3.0 turbo motor. May go check it out in the next few days. Not s bad deal I don’t think. 25k on it asking $74k. White. Black interior. Looks pretty clean.

Quick Reply: Trading my Panamera Turbo S for 991 4s or gts