Sponsored by:

Is this sketchy? Lease Buyout

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Is this sketchy? Lease Buyout

Been searching for some 991.2's and found one in LA, private seller. I live in Vegas and if you buy private you don't have to pay the sales tax which is a huge plus. However this guy selling his 991.2 has it currently leased and wants me to pay him so he can then pay FPS and then hand over the title. According to him this still counts as private sale however this whole thing sounds somewhat ridiculous and I've never really come across this before so if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Stay away .. or get it all in writing and confirm what's going on with PFS.

Last edited by STG; 02-26-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:42 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This should be no different than buying a Porsche with a loan through Porsche Financial Services.

I bought a car years ago and the car had a loan on it through Porsche. I paid more for the car than he owed.

So, there were two checks.

One to Porsche directly, and the second to the owner for his equity.

The seller mailed my check (that was payable to Porsche directly) to Porsche with payoff instructions. He then received the title and mailed it to me once Porsche released the title.

When you buy a car with a loan, and a leased car essentially only has a loan on it, there is a little bit of trust needed. There is no way for him to get the title without paying off the car.

Oh, your bill of sale then comes directly from him which makes it a private party transaction - that's what I did and there is a huge tax difference when buying private party in Illinois.

Worked out just fine.

Porsche did not care where the funds came from for the payoff.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:51 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

Nothing wrong with that. As desribed above.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

He has a fixed buy out price, naturally, plus disposition fee. I don't see a way to avoid sales tax, however, because if he buys it out he'll be required to pay tax, then will have to pass it on to break even.

You could negotiate that you pay half of the tax and he pay half, but he is responsible for disposition fee. If he finds that agreeable arrange to purchase from him private party after he buys it out of the lease.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:00 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drive95
He has a fixed buy out price, naturally, plus disposition fee. I don't see a way to avoid sales tax, however, because if he buys it out he'll be required to pay tax, then will have to pass it on to break even.

You could negotiate that you pay half of the tax and he pay half, but he is responsible for disposition fee. If he finds that agreeable arrange to purchase from him private party after he buys it out of the lease.

It depends on whether or not Porsche will collect the tax - OR, just take the payoff and send him the title. At which point, if he were truly buying out the car for himself, he would need to take the title to the DMV and at then, pay tax.

If he gets the title and Porsche does not collect the tax, then, he can sign it over to the new owner and never pay tax on the transaction.

It really depends on whether or not Porsche is going to collect the taxes directly.

Not sure how that works because when I bought mine, the car was financed as a purchase so the owner already had paid tax.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:08 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
It depends on whether or not Porsche will collect the tax - OR, just take the payoff and send him the title. At which point, if he were truly buying out the car for himself, he would need to take the title to the DMV and at then, pay tax.

If he gets the title and Porsche does not collect the tax, then, he can sign it over to the new owner and never pay tax on the transaction.

It really depends on whether or not Porsche is going to collect the taxes directly.

Not sure how that works because when I bought mine, the car was financed as a purchase so the owner already had paid tax.
The State will want their tax, I think it would be safe to say. As of now they would have only collected the amount based on lease depreciation.

The title is currently in Porsche Financial Service's name; whether it be titled in the name of the current lesee upon buyout, or of the OP, I feel it will be viewed by the DMV as a non-private party transaction and will incur sales tax upon registration.

​​​​​
Old 02-26-2019, 09:10 PM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys. Yea Nevada law on this is kind of weird. When I take it back to register here you don't pay sales tax if you prove that it was a private party sale. But California can be a bit of a mess I guess. And cherry on top I'm gonna finance some of it through my credit union. Idk this may seem like more trouble than it's worth.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:33 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Airbus Gangster
Thanks for the input guys. Yea Nevada law on this is kind of weird. When I take it back to register here you don't pay sales tax if you prove that it was a private party sale. But California can be a bit of a mess I guess. And cherry on top I'm gonna finance some of it through my credit union. Idk this may seem like more trouble than it's worth.
The car I bought was partially financed through my credit union - it was ZERO issue.

This is a simple question - the owner needs to call Porsche Financial to find out if they collect tax on the purchase.

If not, they owner needs to find out how they get the actual title.

If it is a paper title that Porsche holds, it will likely be sent to the owner by Porsche with a lien release letter attached.

If it is an electronic title or the guy needs to go to the DMV, you're probably out of luck.

If it is everything you want, it's worth the hassle to figure it out - if it is not the perfect car, skip it.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:39 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

White Carrera T? It's listed in the FS section.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 PM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Nah it's just a base 2017 991.2 it did check all of the boxes, rs wheels, sport exhaust and sport chrono but certainly not a unicorn. Which is why I think it might be more trouble than it's worth. I really appreciate all the input guys. New to the forums but this place is great.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:25 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You could just assume the lease near the end of the term and exercise the buyout yourself. BMW is good about lease transfers, I don't know about Porsche. Benefit is that if you hold the lease then the buyout is clearly on you so no other owner involved.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:38 PM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carsly
You could just assume the lease near the end of the term and exercise the buyout yourself. BMW is good about lease transfers, I don't know about Porsche. Benefit is that if you hold the lease then the buyout is clearly on you so no other owner involved.
Yea but if I do the buyout myself I would be on the hook for the taxes which was kind of the point of going private party all together. If our sales tax wasn't so high I wouldn't mind doing the dealership route but sales tax in Vegas is 8.25% which I think is the highest in the country.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Airbus Gangster
Advanced

Nope I lied, there are a few states with higher lol.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:54 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

I’ve only scanned this thread and apologize if this was already addressed. In most situations, leasing companies will not sell to a third party therefore, if a lessee wants to sell their leased vehicle, they first must purchase it from the lessor before they can sell it to a potential buyer. Tax would be paid by the lessee based on the “buy out” figure and tax would then need to be paid by private party purchasing vehicle from oringal lessee. I’m not aware of any state offering a legitimate sales tax exemption on private party sale in fact, many states will charge tax based on either the sales price or book value of vehicle, whichever is greater.

Quick Reply: Is this sketchy? Lease Buyout