car damage discount on a 911 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:54 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 592 Posts
Default car damage discount on a 911 GTS

Hi
came across a 2015 GTS with history of damage reported on car fax but no accident ... it was related to bumper damage from a rock , not another car
the car looks perfect and I drove it
I usually buy only new cars
my question is : whoever have experience with similar situation , how much the car value is affected , i am assuming 10-20 % off similarly equipped car without a history
I know about PPI etc , but just gauging the discount people put on this just for the fact that the car fax is tainted but the car otherwise is pristine
Old 02-18-2019, 02:19 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

Just the bumper cover replacement or repair. Done right. $0 change.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:35 PM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

^ agree, if it’s minor cosmetic damage not much discount. What’s the value of the Carfax claim on record?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:43 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

For trade in value, that’s a 10k hit. Ask me how I know. I thought nothing of it when I bought it, but it came back to bite me at trade in.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:40 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
Hi
came across a 2015 GTS with history of damage reported on car fax but no accident ... it was related to bumper damage from a rock , not another car
the car looks perfect and I drove it
I usually buy only new cars
my question is : whoever have experience with similar situation , how much the car value is affected , i am assuming 10-20 % off similarly equipped car without a history
I know about PPI etc , but just gauging the discount people put on this just for the fact that the car fax is tainted but the car otherwise is pristine
I think your estimate of 10% - 20% is pretty spot on. Maybe it's more like 10% - 15%, if anything. This is based on what I heard from two different Porsche salesmen. But I have very limited experience with the subject. You could also just call up a random Porsche dealer, talk to a sales person, and ask their opinion to get another data point.

I'm thinking about buying a car that had fender damage from a minor parking lot hit. Fully repaired, not salvage, no biggie at all. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it reduces the value nevertheless. You just have to make sure that the damage is fairly priced into the sale price of the car. In my case, that insignificant damage may allow me to buy a nicer car for less money than would otherwise be possible, depending on how our sales negotiations play out.

Originally Posted by MJG911
For trade in value, that’s a 10k hit. Ask me how I know. I thought nothing of it when I bought it, but it came back to bite me at trade in.
Yep, it's surprising to me that insignificant, repaired prior damage apparently matters to some buyers. But since it does, we need to factor it into the price that we're willing to pay when we buy these cars.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:38 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJG911
THIS IS EXACTLY MY CONCERN
Old 02-18-2019, 07:44 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
I think your estimate of 10% - 20% is pretty spot on. Maybe it's more like 10% - 15%, if anything. This is based on what I heard from two different Porsche salesmen. But I have very limited experience with the subject. You could also just call up a random Porsche dealer, talk to a sales person, and ask their opinion to get another data point.

I'm thinking about buying a car that had fender damage from a minor parking lot hit. Fully repaired, not salvage, no biggie at all. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it reduces the value nevertheless. You just have to make sure that the damage is fairly priced into the sale price of the car. In my case, that insignificant damage may allow me to buy a nicer car for less money than would otherwise be possible, depending on how our sales negotiations play out.

Yep, it's surprising to me that insignificant, repaired prior damage apparently matters to some buyers. But since it does, we need to factor it into the price that we're willing to pay when we buy these cars.
Agree with you
the repair on this car does not bother me , but I always look at exit point, and we know that it affects trade in , and I am trying to gauge that amount, so I can figure it out in my offer as I am sure I will be selling the car within a year or two and I don't want to be penalized for a bad Carfax ... I love clarity in business deals , and this bad Carfax issue still is not sorted out well in my opinion as it is relatively new data point .... and opinions seem to be wide spread

Last edited by pitt911; 02-18-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-18-2019, 07:53 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

My advise, if you plan to trade it in, 1-2 years from now, pass on it. The dealer you trade it into will ding you for this. Then the next person in line(on the fence like you) might pay top dollar. The dealer will always win on this car.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Sell the car to a private buyer, do not trade it. The new buyer will not care about a dinged plastic bumper. He will buy it for the color and the condition.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

^^*thats true, unless the buyer knows that he will consider trading it in after a few years, and will take into consideration the hit he will take.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:14 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

Drive, enjoy and rack up some miles so you don't have to worry about the exit point.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

If you go in at the right price, it doesn’t matter.

I purchased a 2014 GT3 w/ the buy-back title (there are a handful of early cars like this). That type of title is also known as “branded” (bad). Turned out to be one of the smallest depreciation hits I’ve taken on a short ownership P-car. If you buy it right, you’re fine. And to the earlier point you can sometimes get more car this way.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

I can't believe anyone would let a salesmen convince them of this. Is this one of those scenarios where you are so excited about the new car you go along with anything to drive it off the showroom floor? Buy the car not the negative hype. What you have described affects the value $0. now if they are lying to you and it has had the frame pulley's back into place, that is another issue all together.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
I can't believe anyone would let a salesmen convince them of this. Is this one of those scenarios where you are so excited about the new car you go along with anything to drive it off the showroom floor? Buy the car not the negative hype. What you have described affects the value $0. now if they are lying to you and it has had the frame pulley's back into place, that is another issue all together.
not sure what you are referring to, but to state that Carfax history affect the car zero is not reality
Old 02-18-2019, 08:52 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Drive, enjoy and rack up some miles so you don't have to worry about the exit point.
with all due respect, not being careful with car purchase is not my style and to some extent foolish . I drive my cars and enjoy them, it does not mean that I should blindly buy them

Quick Reply: car damage discount on a 911 GTS