Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to open engine/trunk lib manually on .2??? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:18 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts
Default How to open engine/trunk lib manually on .2??? Help!

Due to my own doing (so can't take it to dealership), I forgot (I think) to plug the engine/trunk lid harness back in when I put the rear section of the car back on. So the button to open the back no longer does anything (no sound of servo moving.) I've searched high and low and found a couple articles on 996 and 991.1 manual cable release and when I tried to peak underneath the driver side tail lights, I didn't see any sign of a pull wire. Does anyone know where the pull wire is on a 991.2? And since I can't get the lid to open, I can even take the spoiler out. Or is getting to it from driver's side wheel well the best bet? Thanks in advance for any advise.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:51 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 02-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Aatish
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Wheel well would be your best bet...but your going to have to go through a lot of stuff to get to that sub assembly for the hood.

I know you were doing it yourself and you don't want the dealer to know that you were doing this...that said I think being honest and just getting it done at the dealer is the way to go. Slip the advisor a 50 or something. That stuff can go a long way.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:12 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I went and took a look at my car and without going into more disassembly, here's what I see on my 991.2

The latch pulling mechanism is in a different place than on the 991.1, but you probably already knew where that was since you may have unplugged it. I took off the covers back there and tried to trace the cable as far as I could. Here are the photos with a couple of more for context. (Yes, my car hasn't been washed since I was out in the rain recently )

In each successive photo I've marked the location of what is likely the pull with a green circle. I looked and felt around that area and couldn't see or feel any other cable, but I'm not 100% sure there isn't another.

In the second photo it is just behind that connector and harness. You can first see it in the third photo. In the fourth photo you can see it clearly. However, what I can't see is a good way to reach it, at least without some more serious disassembly.

From what I could see from the angles available from the top, beneath the cable is the metal inner fender. Maybe it is possible to reach the pull end from underneath the car or by reaching around and up with the fender liner removed. It is several inches ahead of the taillight assembly and just a couple of inches down from the fender just above it. But I'm hoping these photos will give you enough spatial context that if you try to approach from underneath or from the wheel well you'll know what you are looking for.

In the meantime maybe someone with more direct knowledge will post the answer. If not, whatever answer you find should help others in the future,. Good luck and let its know how it turns out!

Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
...In the second photo it is just behind that connector and harness. You can first see it in the third photo. In the fourth photo you can see it clearly. However, what I can't see is a good way to reach it, at least without some more serious disassembly.

From what I could see from the angles available from the top, beneath the cable is the metal inner fender. Maybe it is possible to reach the pull end from underneath the car or by reaching around and up with the fender liner removed. It is several inches ahead of the taillight assembly and just a couple of inches down from the fender just above it. But I'm hoping these photos will give you enough spatial context that if you try to approach from underneath or from the wheel well you'll know what you are looking for.

In the meantime maybe someone with more direct knowledge will post the answer. If not, whatever answer you find should help others in the future,. Good luck and let its know how it turns out!
Hi Storm,
Appreciate the instructions and detailed photos, especially the last one. So knowing pretty much for certain that the cable is routed to the passenger side, I went ahead and took out the wheel liner and tail light but there's still no way to get to the end of the pull cable from either the wheel well in the front, nor from the tail light compartment as that engine lid compartment is sealed off from both front and rear. Doesn't look like removing the bumper would help either as it is too far away. Maybe removing the spoiler assembly would help but with the engine lid locked close I can't get to the front 2 bolts that hold the spoiler in place. Why would Porsche leave the cable in the compartment knowing if the electronic latch/connector fails, there's no way to open the lid to get to the cable? So I'm hoping there could still a way to get to this cable.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I know your not the first, or last person to have a brain fade while doing R&M. I have an embarrassing story that's going with me to the grave!

Possibly call an independent shop & ask for their assistance. I'm sure they have heard and seen it all.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkk16
I know your not the first, or last person to have a brain fade while doing R&M. I have an embarrassing story that's going with me to the grave!

Possibly call an independent shop & ask for their assistance. I'm sure they have heard and seen it all.

Let us know how it works out.
Where in SoCa are you? If in the San Diego area, call Adam Gill at Vollig Autowerks. I've seen him get creative many times to solve all sorts of problems. He does all my servicing.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:43 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Turned out removing the bumper did the trick!!!
As soon as the bumper is removed, I could see the steel cable Storm was referring (thanks again).

So I made a hook long enough to reach inside and a light pull on the wire which was attached in the other end popped the hatch open.
Since the latch is attached to the underside of the spoiler assembly, here's a picture with the spoiler assembly flipped upside down showing the details.

If one is taking the rear bumper off, beware the 991.2 (vs. 991.1) has a screw on each side that's hidden BEHIND the rearmost wheel liner, you'll have to peel away the middle liner a little to get to this screw before the bumper can be pull rearward. I was able to get to all the screws without removing the wheel/tire as jacking up a car a little already gives enough room to work in.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

That's fantastic news! Now you'll get to sleep a little easier tonight. Nice job of showing how this is done.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
That's fantastic news! Now you'll get to sleep a little easier tonight. Nice job of showing how this is done.
Yeah I lost about 3 hours of sleep last night thinking about this.

Quick Reply: How to open engine/trunk lib manually on .2??? Help!