Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking of bringing her out before spring.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:21 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm thinking of bringing her out before spring.

As some of you may know, I just got my car last month on December 3rd. It spent 3 weeks at the shop for reasons I won't go in to here. I've cleaned it, polished it, parked it on mats, over filled the tires and have a trickle charge on it. I've done some fun DIY's to keep me entertained. Now I walk past that beauty every day on my way to work.

It's been freezing cold and snowy in Northern VA for the past couple of weeks. However, as weather is in VA, it's supposed to get in to the 60's next week. I'm thinking screw it and drive the damn car on the days I can. In past, w\hen I've gotten new (weekend) cars I usually get them in the spring, enjoy them over the spring, summer and fall and park them when winter comes around.

Should I be disciplined and sit out the winter until March or let er rip?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:24 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

these cars will not break if you drive them in inclement weather... they are made by germans... german winters are not mild

just go easy if you are on summer tires and the temps are low
Old 02-01-2019, 12:32 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Drive it, it's not a Faberge Egg and is begging you to be driven!!
Old 02-01-2019, 12:45 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

I think I posted this knowing what answers I would get.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:51 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

You must feed that inner Id of yours. So long as you can take it out long enough to get the oil temp up over 200 for a spell, DRIVE IT!

After a few weeks of below freezing, and then some, temps in Chicago are finally moving above freezing for a few days this weekend. Its wash time for me and my beast tomorrow.

Last edited by phefner; 02-01-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 02-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

It will be in the 60’s this weekend in Missouri but mine will sit until mid April when the weather stabilizes. Main reason being the car is clean and I really don’t want to have to clean it again for a 1-2 day “zip” around. I am very **** about my Corvettes and 911 as they get detailed after every drive. My other cars are another story. It’s all what you can live with and my rational side says to drive it.....it’s just a car.....but it never wins the internal debate😏
Old 02-01-2019, 01:05 PM
Targe19
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I got my car late November of 2018 and thought I would wait until the spring time to drive it. A week later I couldn’t resist and bought snow tires and wheels and have been driving it most days. It’s an amazing car to let eat dust in the winter.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:14 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
As some of you may know, I just got my car last month on December 3rd. It spent 3 weeks at the shop for reasons I won't go in to here. I've cleaned it, polished it, parked it on mats, over filled the tires and have a trickle charge on it. I've done some fun DIY's to keep me entertained. Now I walk past that beauty every day on my way to work.

It's been freezing cold and snowy in Northern VA for the past couple of weeks. However, as weather is in VA, it's supposed to get in to the 60's next week. I'm thinking screw it and drive the damn car on the days I can. In past, w\hen I've gotten new (weekend) cars I usually get them in the spring, enjoy them over the spring, summer and fall and park them when winter comes around.

Should I be disciplined and sit out the winter until March or let er rip?
What tires are on it?

In my experience, if Pirellis, be careful if it is near 60 degrees. Don't drive them if below 60 degrees.

If the Pilot Sport 4S, you'll be better at 40 degrees than the Pirellis at 60 degrees. I've never driven my PS4Ss below 40 degrees.

As for a general comment, respectfully, suck it up and buy some winter/all-season tires and drive that car all year long! I can't tell you how wonderful it has been this season to wake up to a temperature of 25 degrees and still hop in my 911 and drive. Next year will be even better because I just ordered new wheels and tires for the Boxster and I'll be able to drive it all year as well.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

I'm on the same boat... My only issue is pot holes, road grit, salt and sand.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have Pirellis on my T and have been driving it without issues on warmer days (mid 30s and up). Tires actually warm up pretty quickly, maybe due to rubber stiffness/flexing. Not pushing hard though.

50s and 60s there are absolutely no concerns driving summer tires as long as you don’t go crazy. I make it a point to run my cars in the winter at least once a month weather allowing.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:58 PM
6flat
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel sorry for those that don’t drive their cars, keeping them pristine. My first Porsche was a 2002 911 cab. Never drove it in rain. Would never consider winter driving. Sold it for a big loss with hardly any mileage on it. Car never felt right due to infrequent driving.

I live in the northeast.

My 2018 C4S. Daily driver with snow tires. Car is a bright color but you wouldn’t know because it’s covered in salt. The most fun I have ever had with a 911 is driving this one in cold and snow. Great winter car in addition to warm weather.
For those dealing with rattles and annoying engine issues, daily driven cars seem to be less subject to them. Infrequently driven cars rot as they sit.

When weather gets somewhat warmer I may wash it.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:02 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phefner
You must feed that inner Id of yours. So long as you can take it out long enough to get the oil temp up over 200 for a spell, DRIVE IT!

After a few weeks of below freezing, and then some, temps in Chicago are finally moving above freezing for a few days this weekend. Its wash time for me and my beast tomorrow.
Boy, I've seen Chicago is beyond cold! I heard this morning that you guys have like a 100 degree swing in "feels like" temp. Enjoy.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 6flat
I feel sorry for those that don’t drive their cars, keeping them pristine. My first Porsche was a 2002 911 cab. Never drove it in rain. Would never consider winter driving. Sold it for a big loss with hardly any mileage on it. Car never felt right due to infrequent driving.

I live in the northeast.

My 2018 C4S. Daily driver with snow tires. Car is a bright color but you wouldn’t know because it’s covered in salt. The most fun I have ever had with a 911 is driving this one in cold and snow. Great winter car in addition to warm weather.
For those dealing with rattles and annoying engine issues, daily driven cars seem to be less subject to them. Infrequently driven cars rot as they sit.

When weather gets somewhat warmer I may wash it.
You have the right mental outlook.....now I just need to get it!
The following users liked this post:
llt_porsche (03-16-2021)
Old 02-01-2019, 02:07 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Thanks all. I'll take it out when it warms up a bit. Maybe tomorrow. Funny how excited i am. It's like I"m asking for permission and you guys said YES.

My car has P Zeros which are absolutely the worst in cold temps. None the less, I'll get them temp a bit and be careful. Might be a bit soon to start thinking of winter tire/wheels package. I really don't have to drive the 991, I've got a company car - A6 Quattro which is my DD.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:08 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

My thinking was the same when I picked up my new car back in December, cover it, plug it in and leave it till Spring. After only a few short days sitting in the garage, I located some new winter wheels and tires and have already driven approx. 800 miles since. I'll only take it out on clear, dry days when the roads are free of snow and ice. Weather next week is supposed to be in the mid 50s, you know I'll be enjoying it then.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of bringing her out before spring.