Sponsored by:

Preferred RPM range and turbo lag in base 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 03:44 PM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Preferred RPM range and turbo lag in base 991.2

Hi folks, my first 911 was a 996 4S that was grippy and fast and made me fall madly in love with Porsche. It gave me lots of confidence and joy in many dangerous situations and in uneventful highway driving. I went a bit back in time and now have a 993, which is fast but less stable and in which I don’t dare try any of my old shenanigans, and an ‘85 Carrera 3.2, which is enormously fun and special, but lacks vision-blurring power that I often crave.

I thought a comfy, powerful, and fun 991.2 would make me stop missing my first love, the 996 4S. It’s growing on me, but I keep missing something, possibly the naturally aspirated response. The heel and toes don’t feel as intense. I’m still learning to not notice the turbo lag, mostly by keeping the rpms around 4K. It also *seems* that the turbo doesn’t help in sharp, ascending hairpins like it ought to and I’m lacking a bit of power. My RPMs are pretty high in those situations.

How are people coping with turbo lag? What rpm ranges do people like? Any hypotheses on what I may be missing or lacking in the base Carrera, or what I may be doing wrong? Appreciate any thoughts or experiences you guys have.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:04 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

"Turbo Lag" what turbo lag? I don't feel a thing. This is my second TT car and didn't feel it in either one. Never owned a NA 911 though.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:07 PM
tosha
Instructor

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
"Turbo Lag" what turbo lag? I don't feel a thing. This is my second TT car and didn't feel it in either one. Never owned a NA 911 though.
It’s definitely there, no question about it. You’ll know the difference if you test drive an NA.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:15 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm on my second 991.2 and honestly, I don't perceive the lag unless the RPM's are really low. In more spirited driving, I don't notice it at all. Love the response of the car.....
Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There's virtually no lag on any of the .2 models. I'm assuming your noticing this in low rpms, but your performance and available tq/hp is still likely higher in any gear and rpm than it was with your 996 in low rpms. You may be percieving "lag" because the spool up produces so much power that you notice it much more now.

If you want to further improve it your low end responsiveness you should look into headers and cats. With the addition of headers and cats you'll notice quicker spool up and increased power. A true merge collector and reduced back pressure will increase responsiveness.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

It's all a function of the rpm you use. Above 4000 rpm, there's next to no lag. Below 2000 rpm, lag is quite noticeable. This is particularly true with the manual gearbox. With the PDK, the transmission downshifts to mask the lag.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:27 PM
lawdawg97
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tosha
Hi folks, my first 911 was a 996 4S that was grippy and fast and made me fall madly in love with Porsche. It gave me lots of confidence and joy in many dangerous situations and in uneventful highway driving. I went a bit back in time and now have a 993, which is fast but less stable and in which I don’t dare try any of my old shenanigans, and an ‘85 Carrera 3.2, which is enormously fun and special, but lacks vision-blurring power that I often crave.

I thought a comfy, powerful, and fun 991.2 would make me stop missing my first love, the 996 4S. It’s growing on me, but I keep missing something, possibly the naturally aspirated response. The heel and toes don’t feel as intense. I’m still learning to not notice the turbo lag, mostly by keeping the rpms around 4K. It also *seems* that the turbo doesn’t help in sharp, ascending hairpins like it ought to and I’m lacking a bit of power. My RPMs are pretty high in those situations.

How are people coping with turbo lag? What rpm ranges do people like? Any hypotheses on what I may be missing or lacking in the base Carrera, or what I may be doing wrong? Appreciate any thoughts or experiences you guys have.

there is no turbo lag
Old 01-29-2019, 04:37 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Modified supras have turbo lag, you keep using that word, i do not think it means what you think it means.

370 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 331 lb-ft of torque from 1700 to 5000 rpm and that’s base model
Old 01-29-2019, 04:47 PM
tosha
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gh0st0
Modified supras have turbo lag, you keep using that word, i do not think it means what you think it means.

I use "turbo lag" to mean the sudden change in rate of acceleration that you feel at most a second after gassing. Are you saying it's not "turbo lag" unless its comes on hard after a few seconds?

I find that on the 991.2, acceleration doesn't increase predictably when I gas hard, unless I do it at around 4K RPM.

Originally Posted by Gh0st0
370 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 331 lb-ft of torque from 1700 to 5000 rpm and that’s base model
Old 01-29-2019, 04:48 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It also *seems* that the turbo doesn’t help in sharp, ascending hairpins like it ought to and I’m lacking a bit of power. My RPMs are pretty high in those situations.
When you're asking the base engine for power in a climb, your not going to get an impressive kick in the pants. At least that's been my experience. In accelerating climbing cases, I've noticed the boost gauge gets to max psi pretty quick and at that point, acceleration game is over. The thing I also notice in climbing situations is that when the boost comes on, I don't feel any transition to the boost. That, to me, is a big wow factor. Because I've never driven a turbo car which did not tell me, loud and clear, it was going to boost. Simply love the way the base engine seamlessly lays down the power it has. That's been said in past reviews on the base engine and I agree fully.

You may need to drive an S to realize your climbing power expectations.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:51 PM
tosha
Instructor

Originally Posted by fuddman
When you're asking the base engine for power in a climb, your not going to get an impressive kick in the pants. At least that's been my experience. In accelerating climbing cases, I've noticed the boost gauge gets to max psi pretty quick and at that point, acceleration game is over. The thing I also notice in climbing situations is that when the boost comes on, I don't feel any transition to the boost. That, to me, is a big wow factor. Because I've never driven a turbo car which did not tell me, loud and clear, it was going to boost. Simply love the way the base engine seamlessly lays down the power it has. That's been said in past reviews on the base engine and I agree fully.

You may need to drive an S to realize your climbing power expectations.
I appreciate that point of view, fuddman. I will keep experimenting with my gear selection in the climbs.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:52 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

You need to be in sport plus.

You need to turn off Auto Start/Stop.

Did I mention you need to be in sport plus and while in 'normal' you need to turn off auto start/stop?

If you floor it in 5th gear at 2K rpm. There will be lag..

If you're in prime gear, in the proper setting (SPORT PLUS, or SPORT if you don't have the chrono package) there's virtually no lag.. In racing, there is no lag. Especially in with the base engine/turbos.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:56 PM
tosha
Instructor

Originally Posted by Psorcery
When I test-drove the car, I thought I felt no lag in Sport (I have a base model), and I only drive it in Sport with sport suspension.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

When I test-drove the car, I thought I felt no lag in Sport (I have a base model), and I only drive it in Sport with sport suspension.
Does it have sport plus AKA Sport Chrono Package? Are you in D or manual mode?

In sport plus, the turbos are primed and pre-spooled 1-2psi. Just sitting there waiting for you to hit the throttle. Instantly delivering max power.

In my 991.2 GTS, If i'm in Sport+ in prime gear and I mash the throttle there's no lag.. Your head snaps back into the headrests and your tummy will start to tickle... This is the GTS which people say is "laggy-er"

If I'm in D, and normal mode, and auto start/stop is not turned off.. Yeah. The car is not looking for razor sharp throttle response and therefore will lag... I can replicate lag in a 991.1 tuned C4S if I tried.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Slight bit from under 2k. The turbo spools up really quick, so it's not that short of a range.

Quick Reply: Preferred RPM range and turbo lag in base 991.2