Old 01-29-2019 | 06:02 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Headers will measurably improve throttle/boost response:

https://motoiq.com/testing-vektor-pe...911-carrera/9/
Old 01-29-2019 | 06:04 PM
SeeForce
Racer

My 991.2 C2 would eat my 991 C4S's lunch.

any turbo lag is mitigated by the increase in torque. back up a gear and keep the revs up. mine is a blast to drive... far more friendly on the streets.
Old 01-29-2019 | 06:33 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Maybe you are used to the NA power delivery. Looking at some hp/torque graphs, the turbo torque peaks at around 5000 rpm and hp peaks at around 6500 rpm whereas the NA hp peaks at a higher rpm(not sure where at what rpm your 996 hp max is).

What I'm saying is that the turbo power drops off at higher rpm's where the NA hp is still increasing. So maybe keeping your rpm's a little lower or being in a higher gear will keep you in the sweet spot longer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9304...confirm-4.html
Old 01-29-2019 | 06:46 PM
tosha
Instructor

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Does it have sport plus AKA Sport Chrono Package? Are you in D or manual mode?

In sport plus, the turbos are primed and pre-spooled 1-2psi. Just sitting there waiting for you to hit the throttle. Instantly delivering max power.
I have a base manual, and don't have sport plus. I just need to keep the RPMs up it looks like, and on the climbs I may learn to expect the lack of power if the turbo is already spooled up and just give more gas... Or try an S in the future.

In my 991.2 GTS, If i'm in Sport+ in prime gear and I mash the throttle there's no lag.. Your head snaps back into the headrests and your tummy will start to tickle... This is the GTS which people say is "laggy-er"

If I'm in D, and normal mode, and auto start/stop is not turned off.. Yeah. The car is not looking for razor sharp throttle response and therefore will lag... I can replicate lag in a 991.1 tuned C4S if I tried.
Old 01-29-2019 | 06:57 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by tosha
I have a base manual, and don't have sport plus. I just need to keep the RPMs up it looks like, and on the climbs I may learn to expect the lack of power if the turbo is already spooled up and just give more gas... Or try an S in the future.
Ahh, makes a little more sense now.

I've never driven a manual base with no chrono before.. Closest I've driven is your setup but with PDK which definitely helps mitigate any lag. I'm positive you'd see better results in a PDK car. The base engines do run out of steam when reaching the top of 3rd and beyond (when stock at least). When driving the base, I too would always have it in Sport mode. Sport mode on a NON chrono car makes the same sounds as a chrono car that's in Sport+ mode but you don't get the primed turbos feature unfortunately.

You may want to look into headers to help increase spool.
Old 01-29-2019 | 07:15 PM
DY369
Instructor

@Psorcery per your example above "If you floor it in 5th gear at 2K rpm. There will be lag." How many N/A 911's would do well in 5th gear at 2,000 rpm's? Wouldn't most have some sort of hesitation because they are not anywhere near their power band?
Old 01-29-2019 | 07:56 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by DY369
@Psorcery per your example above "If you floor it in 5th gear at 2K rpm. There will be lag." How many N/A 911's would do well in 5th gear at 2,000 rpm's? Wouldn't most have some sort of hesitation because they are not anywhere near their power band?
Yes absolutley, that's the point I was making. Any petrol vehicle will have lag in that scenario. Especially turbo applications.
Old 01-29-2019 | 08:32 PM
JoeyClosets
Track Day

Lag? No Lag....
Old 01-29-2019 | 09:27 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

4,000 - 6,500 and Sport + ... It is a beautiful thing. Outside of that, and since we live in a part of the universe where physics applies uniformly and always, there are consequences. You aren't going to change it, just drive it the way Porsche has engineered it to mitigate the downsides. More gas used, more hydrocarbons produced, but what a way to go!

S
Old 01-29-2019 | 09:29 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crossroads
Maybe you are used to the NA power delivery. Looking at some hp/torque graphs, the turbo torque peaks at around 5000 rpm and hp peaks at around 6500 rpm whereas the NA hp peaks at a higher rpm(not sure where at what rpm your 996 hp max is).

What I'm saying is that the turbo power drops off at higher rpm's where the NA hp is still increasing. So maybe keeping your rpm's a little lower or being in a higher gear will keep you in the sweet spot longer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9304...confirm-4.html
This. I have a base and I find I really lose the oomph and the car seems to choke as the engine revs out whereas at 3-5K RPM it has some good punch to it. I think the base has really usable power on the street but I would not kick an S or GTS out of bed if it were eating crackers and I am entertaining a change. If I get off my butt and change out my cats and headers, maybe I can avoid the upgrade.
Old 01-29-2019 | 09:44 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

When I think of turbo lag I think of the '87 930 I had in the past...I do not think of turbo lag in my 991.2 GTS, ever.
Old 01-29-2019 | 10:44 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

I use "turbo lag" to mean the sudden change in rate of acceleration that you feel at most a second after gassing. Are you saying it's not "turbo lag" unless its comes on hard after a few seconds?

I find that on the 991.2, acceleration doesn't increase predictably when I gas hard, unless I do it at around 4K RPM.
Well, there you go.

Like others, I find little perceptible lag. After all, these are still 3.0 liter engines, with mild turbocharging.

When driving for performance, we keep revs up. Above 4000 RPM there is really no lag with the 991.2. And NA engines are up in their power band. Both types offer thrilling performance.

At lower RPM, the mild turbo 991.2 might have just detectable lag. The 991.1 instead offers "lug". I am biased, but I think I know which type will win if we stomp on both in 3rd gear at 1000 RPM.
Old 01-29-2019 | 10:54 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

You need to be in sport plus.

You need to turn off Auto Start/Stop.

Did I mention you need to be in sport plus and while in 'normal' you need to turn off auto start/stop?

If you floor it in 5th gear at 2K rpm. There will be lag..

If you're in prime gear, in the proper setting (SPORT PLUS, or SPORT if you don't have the chrono package) there's virtually no lag.. In racing, there is no lag. Especially in with the base engine/turbos.
This^ Well said
Also manual cuts out some of the perceived lag although you lose almost all boost between shifts (save 1-3 psi). Here the transmission is never asleep, just the driver. You wanna haul ***? Pow, prime gear, what lag?
Old 01-30-2019 | 01:12 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DY369
No it wouldn’t. At 2000 rpm, a 991.1 would deliver everything it had immediately. In contrast, a 991.2 would need at least a second to reach maximum 2000-rpm torque. But that torque would be much higher than the 991.1’s maximum. Peak torque and turbo lag are independent parameters.
Old 01-30-2019 | 06:58 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
"Turbo Lag" what turbo lag? I don't feel a thing.
Yep, the 3.0 engine with small turbos in the base Carrera and T is a marvel.

It’s definitely there, no question about it. You’ll know the difference if you test drive an NA.
In the 991.2 base Carrera? Nah. Very linear. And I’ve owned numerous NA 911s.

Quick Reply: Preferred RPM range and turbo lag in base 991.2