Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memory Settings Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019 | 12:43 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JW911
I guess I am the outlier. But I drive with A/C on always. A/C doesn't mean it is cold. It means the air is dehumidified and then cooled or heated depending on your temp setting and the ambient temp. Using A/C keeps me dry and comfortable and means the windows almost never fog up. I am not sure why I would ever turn it off?
That’s because some of us have “automotive” OCD.
Old 01-29-2019 | 12:56 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

BSO,

Just to clarify, if the car is running and you turn off AC, then hit Set + Key, shut off the car, return to the car - AC is back on? Or have you only tried programming memory location 1 or 2?

For my GT4 and previous CGTS there was no memory setting. I could turn AC off and it stays off until I turn it on again. But no matter what, the fan comes on.

For the '17 Macan and '17 718, I believe if I turn AC off and program the Key, it stays off. But I'll have to check when I get back on Saturday.

Regardless, to ensure your settings are recalled when unlocking with the key, you have to hit Set + Key and whichever key is present will be programmed to those settings.

Lastly, I've found it isn't the most reliable system in the automotive world. It works most of the time, but not all the time.
Old 01-29-2019 | 01:14 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

991.1 - Doesn't matter what you did before shutting off the car, you will get at least "one bar" once you restarted the car. For me, that's one more button to "pull" after I "pressed" the auto start button.
Old 01-29-2019 | 01:17 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

OP wants A/C off when starting the car, so does the 2019 have an issue with this? Seems 2017/18 does not, are there other 2019 owners that cannot program the key button function to remember A/C off? This isn't a personal preference question.
Old 01-29-2019 | 01:40 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _RS_
OP wants A/C off when starting the car, so does the 2019 have an issue with this? Seems 2017/18 does not, are there other 2019 owners that cannot program the key button function to remember A/C off? This isn't a personal preference question.
I have a 2019. On start up, the fan shows 1 bar. It’s annoying but I’ve learned to live with it. Believe me, I’ve tried everything.
Old 01-29-2019 | 08:50 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Nah, my 2017 991.2S had AC come on at start up when I first got it. Simply, set the seat memory to key with engine running and AC off, and it is no more.
Old 01-29-2019 | 10:24 AM
usccharles
Pro

My 2017 gts has no problem turning a/c on memory. That would suck to have to turn it off every time you start the car. And if they changed that for the 2019 model that sucks.

Sorry
Old 01-29-2019 | 10:28 AM
Peter80
Instructor

I can't believe they'd do that. Is there perhaps something on the pcm under vehicle settings? Too cold outside for me to go and look.
Old 01-29-2019 | 10:31 AM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Originally Posted by JW911
I guess I am the outlier. But I drive with A/C on always. A/C doesn't mean it is cold. It means the air is dehumidified and then cooled or heated depending on your temp setting and the ambient temp. Using A/C keeps me dry and comfortable and means the windows almost never fog up. I am not sure why I would ever turn it off?
Spot on!
Auto mode on most cars will activate AC in the wintertime, so will Max Windshield selection in manual mode
I see so many drivers in the wintertime struggling with the interior windows fogged up from humidity due melting snow inside the car etc....turn the AC on and it will be gone in minutes!
A recipe for serious interior window fog any time of the year is to manually select "recirculate-On" and have AC - Off
AC really does need to be active in the wintertime for the most efficient climate control operation even this morning at -10 degrees
Old 01-29-2019 | 10:32 AM
SeeForce
Racer

Originally Posted by hbear
I have a 2018 and no issues.

Just set “1” and set “key” works.
I can have AC on or off depending on what I key for memory. So don’t believe it’s always start with AC on unless that’s a new feature on the 2019.
This is accurate. i had the same issue, the AC would come on at its coldest setting and it could be freezing outside. i BELIEVE it is the setting that is associated with the key that causes the ac (or heat) to turn on when you get in the car.
Old 01-29-2019 | 11:14 AM
usccharles
Pro

I didn’t know some folks have ac on year round. Can one have the heater on with hot air with the ac on? Is that normal? I just always thought ac was for cold air and a no no for heat. If that is normal and ac helps dehumidify the air before hot air is blown, this is something I need to consider. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2019 | 11:30 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Yeah, you just set the temperature high. Problem for many of us though is that we don't like air conditioned dry air. My sinuses play up. Bit like being on an airline jet. I just suffer the windscreen condensation and blast it now and again with full blast ac.
Old 01-29-2019 | 11:41 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

I've tried to re-set the memory on the "1" and the "key" indicators numerous times. The manuals states "1" and "2" are separate from the such controls as the A/C functions, they govern the seat, mirror and steering wheel memory settings, the "key" memory is for the rest of the features that can be set.

As to leaving the A/C on all the time, there are some points to be considered, the power drain from the compressor on the engine, the added draw on the electrical system and the additional wear and tear on all the A/C components. I personally find no need to run the A/C when it's cold, the humidity is low or when the windows are open. My A/C system will get lots of use here in Florida during the other seasons and in the rain, no need to add more use time on an expensive component.

There are a few more things for me to try. I have a second key that hasn't been programmed and there is a reset selection in the memory settings. I'll report back.

Of all the cars I've owned before, none of them had such "curious" behavior; when I shut the A/C of on every car I owned before, the darned thing stayed off until switched on.
Old 01-29-2019 | 11:50 AM
usccharles
Pro

This sucks. You should be able to keep ac off if you want. 2017 cars don’t have this problem. Atleast mine doesn’t
Old 01-29-2019 | 11:55 AM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

I use "AUTO" mode set to about 21 c (69.50 F) and find that the climate control computer does a way better job than me wasting time trying to manually modulate the temp and damper controls.
Isn't that why we have expensive "Climate Control" equipped cars so that we can set it and forget it?
Where I live we can have severe winter conditions one day and warm weather the next and the climate control computer seems to know how to react just fine without any intervention from me.
I rarely touch my climate controls all winter, is there a benefit to playing with the controls?

Quick Reply: Memory Settings Conundrum