​​​​​​
Old 01-29-2019, 12:35 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
She'll be fine in a 991

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOAugGwUJPU
Launch control going into a turn never turns out well.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:29 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

If I had a child that fought me on which car to get her, I'd buy her an 82 yellow Datsun Sentra. That was my first car and it cost $500 and I paid for it. She needs to appreciate the support you are offering her because many cannot do what you did. I'm sure she is a great child but keep her grounded!

Now if it were my father, his foot would have been broken off in my **s.

Apologies - this really strikes a chord for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:45 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Tell her that when you buy your own stuff you get to be a hypocrite. It’s the 28th Amendment of the Constitution, look it up.

I’m looking at cars for my soon to be 16-year-old son. The cost of insurance jumps up considerably for anything bigger than a 4 cylinder. Anything Prius or equivalent would see me footing the bill for years and years of therapy so I am thinking something Subaru. I used to joke with him that he was getting a pristine 1986 Honda Civic but the truth is that I want him to have the modern safety features and full array of airbags, so something modern is more appropriate. I see a lot of kids driving pickup trucks but the vehicle dynamics of a truck seem rather risky for a teen driver. In addition to a car for him, I’m getting a key locker for my cars.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:42 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Apologies - this really strikes a chord for me.
Then you really need to see this...

Old 01-29-2019, 03:12 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Then you really need to see this...Simon Sinek on Millennials
Have seen this before but watched again for fun. Every generation does something to screw up their kids, mine included. Entitlement is not exclusive to millennials though - I had a (girl) friend in high school. Her boyfriend totaled his dad's Testerossa and for punishment I recall that he only got a vette for his birthday. Guessing he is not well adjusted...

Old 01-29-2019, 08:48 AM
gforcealt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
I’m looking at cars for my soon to be 16-year-old son. The cost of insurance jumps up considerably for anything bigger than a 4 cylinder. Anything Prius or equivalent would see me footing the bill for years and years of therapy so I am thinking something Subaru. I used to joke with him that he was getting a pristine 1986 Honda Civic but the truth is that I want him to have the modern safety features and full array of airbags, so something modern is more appropriate.
This is what I went through. Part of becoming a well rounded person is having an embarrassing first car, held together by duct tape and safety pins.

But, a couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to spend many, many hours with a PhD who's job was crash survival research for one of the big three and she convinced me that this latest round of electronic nannies and the crash worthiness promoted by the newer offset crash tests, like the IIHS tests, was the next best thing since sliced bread. From then on, I endeavored to find my first the most embarrassing NEW car - likely a baby-poo-brown Corolla with cloth interior and manual transmission (so she cannot iPhone and drive), covered in dust at the back corner of the lot because no one would buy it. Sadly, the rarity of manual transmission cars makes this a hard car to find. So we ended up with a VW, in automatic, in a decent color. (A Subie was in the running, too, but driving a CVT has got to be the 10th circle of hell.) My kid is excited, and very thankful, but sadly, she'll not have the growth experience of an embarrassing new car. She will have all of the new crash tech if something goes wrong, and to me, that's more important.

Last edited by gforcealt; 01-29-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:42 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gforcealt
But, a couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to spend many, many hours with a PhD who's job was crash survival research for one of the big three and she convinced me that this latest round of electronic nannies and the crash worthiness promoted by the newer offset crash tests, like the IIHS tests, was the next best thing since sliced bread.
Sorry, but awareness and using your judgement works far better...for over 40 years.

PhDs...had many as students. Thank God they never made it to the airlines. lol
Old 01-29-2019, 04:53 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Kids these days.. I was so grateful when my dad gave me his 8 year old Volvo on my 16th birthday. It was a 4 speed manual and I remember that the 2nd gear didn’t work. It had a AM FM radio and no cassette player with one speaker.
We bought our first child a new Jetta. VW makes nice safe cars for sure. I was planning on a 5+ year old car but lost that argument to the wife. At least I’m getting my money’s worth since our second child is driving it now.
My kid hinted that he wanted a Bimmer. I sat down with him and wrote out a contract for him to sign with my expectations and demands if I were to buy him a Bimmer. He chose the VW.
I think this is a good idea!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:01 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

gforcealt, congrats on the choice for your daughter. My daughter is 17 and she got her license in Nov and I used similar criteria as you for her car. I didn't want to get her a small SUV with higher center of mass but at the same time get something with size and mass. I got her a Jetta S and since plenty on the lot, she picked white. They are well equipped, good warranty, safe and has the new '19 have Apple car play and other new technology. Since new driver, also set her phone to Do Not Disturb while driving so text and phone calls are silenced and auto answered
Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 PM
gforcealt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks tgavem. We're thinking about hitting up the Tire Rack teen car control school at the HPD training facility in April. Any experience with it?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Kids these days..:rolleyes
You can say that again.

I offered my friend my mother's old car for his kids when he was looking for a used car, a nice ultra low mileage Toyota Tercel hatchback.

Well it wasn't "cool enough" for them. Its a good thing they weren't my kids because it was a long walk to their bus stop, plus they'd get a kick in their genitals.

It feels so much better working for stuff. Bought my first car and every car thereafter, all my 17 motorcycles so far and my 993 and 991 GTS...paid cash for them on a tech's salary. Lord help our future.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by gforcealt
We're thinking about hitting up the Tire Rack teen car control school at the HPD training facility in April. Any experience with it?
Maybe PM Damon from the TR here, and ask him. Also, the Autobahn in Joilet has a teen driving school. Good on you to do this stuff for her.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:52 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

My wife says that I'm a tyrant to our boys. I then ask her how does she think they've turned out. She says, "great of course". I say, "zaaactly". End of conversation. I see too many spoiled kids in our neck of the woods with no respect for others, which is a direct result of having no self respect. Old school is good school.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:01 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jnolan
Tell her that when you buy your own stuff you get to be a hypocrite. It’s the 28th Amendment of the Constitution, look it up.

I’m looking at cars for my soon to be 16-year-old son. The cost of insurance jumps up considerably for anything bigger than a 4 cylinder. Anything Prius or equivalent would see me footing the bill for years and years of therapy so I am thinking something Subaru. I used to joke with him that he was getting a pristine 1986 Honda Civic but the truth is that I want him to have the modern safety features and full array of airbags, so something modern is more appropriate. I see a lot of kids driving pickup trucks but the vehicle dynamics of a truck seem rather risky for a teen driver. In addition to a car for him, I’m getting a key locker for my cars.
I just insured my second teenage son and our rate jumped another $190/month. I checked the good student discount and formal driving course boxes and boys are more expensive than girls. The fun begins!

Quick Reply: 991 Crash Test Ratings