Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991 Crash Test Ratings (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1126387-991-crash-test-ratings.html)

gforcealt 01-28-2019 01:00 PM

991 Crash Test Ratings

I just bought my oldest her first car, and I was a stickler about her getting a car with all the safety nannies and excellent crash test ratings. She was quite frustrated, because several of the cars she wanted didn't meet my safety requirements. She's asked about the safety of my Porsche and whether I'm being a hypocrite with my own car, and for the life of me, I cannot find crash test ratings for the 991 (not IIHS, not NHTSA, not NCAP). What's the deal? Are we driving death traps?

P.S. - I appreciate that I'm much more able to avoid a wreck driving my Porsche, but I'm interested in passive safety for that time when I can't or don't avoid it.

Psorcery 01-28-2019 02:53 PM

Celebrities commonly die in Porsches. They're often tragic too.

I heard Volvo's are nice. She wont get hounded by the opposite sex in a Volvo either.

I wish Daddy bought me a Porsche.. LOL.

gforcealt 01-28-2019 03:08 PM

We bought her a VW, not a Porsche. Her VW has top crash test ratings by all agencies and all the safety nannies.

Aatish 01-28-2019 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Psorcery (Post 15598640)

I heard Volvo's are nice. She wont get hounded by the opposite sex in a Volvo either.

lol

I read it as that the first time as well.
But I think he's more concerned with his safety...

In regards to the crash rating, NHSA and NCAP don't test cars of this price range usually.

That said, I wouldn't be worried about becoming a sealed can of tuna in a 911. Plenty of reinforcement in the front and rear; gas tank is positioned in areas with solid protection surrounding it. I haven't looked at it in detail, but from removing my rear and front bumpers, the chassis is designed in ways to direct impact energy away from driver compartments.

minthral 01-28-2019 03:46 PM

Sports cars are often not crash tested because they're really expensive.

There are crash tests of a older boxsters you can find on youtube. Results should be similar to 911.

Front and rear impacts seem good because of open front crumble zone and the rear has massive frame structure and the engine is a shield, however the car will be totaled for sure. In new testing, being low to the ground means a truck bumper or other parts might hit head level and in many cars, this is fatal (imagine even worse for 911). A lifted big SUV is much safer for obvious reasons.

Thing to keep in mind is that testing is often done at lower speeds and isn't too realistic (stationary objects used). If you're going really fast and hit something, there are many factors, but intimately fast enough and at the right angle, you're dead.

Safety ratings nowadays seem to have a priority on accident avoidance via tech (auto stop etc) or other means (handling/roll prevention etc). Most cars are built about as safe as is reasonable structurally (including Porsche's) and still bad accidents are going either cause serious injury or death.

vodkag 01-28-2019 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Psorcery (Post 15598640)

:p

Hurricane 01-28-2019 04:08 PM

It does NOT look safe at all. You may want to look into a Volvo.

Aatish 01-28-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hurricane (Post 15598851)
It does NOT look safe at all. You may want to look into a Volvo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXJBSRp6wE

hahahahahahahaha

IXLR8 01-28-2019 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by gforcealt (Post 15598367)
I just bought my oldest her first car, and I was a stickler about her getting a car with all the safety nannies and excellent crash test rating.

Actually keeping her off her cell phone while driving is more important than a crash test rating.

LexVan 01-28-2019 07:26 PM

Tell her the next she calls you a hypocrite, you are going to crash test her cranium. :)

Great of you to buy her a car. It's nice when you can spoil your deserving children.

Bob Z. 01-28-2019 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 15599333)
Tell her the next she calls you a hypocrite, you are going to crash test her cranium. :)

Great of you to buy her a car. It's nice when you can spoil your deserving children.

My wife got a new 944 when she graduated HS, but she still hasn't driven our Targa GTS...I do not wonder why there is a such thing called a "Woman Driver".

bkrantz 01-28-2019 10:52 PM

As I recall, Porsche (and many other "exotic" sports car makers) choose not to go through US or Euro crash testing. I guess we (and our insurance companies) are trusting Porsche engineers to design structural and system safety.

911-TOUR 01-28-2019 11:00 PM

I have some personal experience with this - see here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1066...l#post14978987

I wish I could find the insurance pictures from that event...it was utterly incredible.

Have trusted Porsche engineering for a very long time.

cheers!

jimwood 01-29-2019 12:05 AM

The safety rating can easily be found by examining two issues:

1. Your daughter is complaining about a car you are buying her. Again, YOU are buying HER.

2. And she has the ability to make you justify what you earned and bought?

Answer: You’ve earned the right to do but whatever you want - no justification needed if it makes you happy.

luv2sleep 01-29-2019 12:13 AM

Kids these days..:rolleyes: I was so grateful when my dad gave me his 8 year old Volvo on my 16th birthday. It was a 4 speed manual and I remember that the 2nd gear didn’t work. It had a AM FM radio and no cassette player with one speaker.
We bought our first child a new Jetta. VW makes nice safe cars for sure. I was planning on a 5+ year old car but lost that argument to the wife. At least I’m getting my money’s worth since our second child is driving it now.
My kid hinted that he wanted a Bimmer. I sat down with him and wrote out a contract for him to sign with my expectations and demands if I were to buy him a Bimmer. He chose the VW.:roflmao: