Sponsored by:

991 Crash Test Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:00 PM
gforcealt
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 991 Crash Test Ratings

I just bought my oldest her first car, and I was a stickler about her getting a car with all the safety nannies and excellent crash test ratings. She was quite frustrated, because several of the cars she wanted didn't meet my safety requirements. She's asked about the safety of my Porsche and whether I'm being a hypocrite with my own car, and for the life of me, I cannot find crash test ratings for the 991 (not IIHS, not NHTSA, not NCAP). What's the deal? Are we driving death traps?

P.S. - I appreciate that I'm much more able to avoid a wreck driving my Porsche, but I'm interested in passive safety for that time when I can't or don't avoid it.

Last edited by gforcealt; 01-28-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:53 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Celebrities commonly die in Porsches. They're often tragic too.

I heard Volvo's are nice. She wont get hounded by the opposite sex in a Volvo either.

I wish Daddy bought me a Porsche.. LOL.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:08 PM
gforcealt
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We bought her a VW, not a Porsche. Her VW has top crash test ratings by all agencies and all the safety nannies.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:30 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery

I heard Volvo's are nice. She wont get hounded by the opposite sex in a Volvo either.

lol

I read it as that the first time as well.
But I think he's more concerned with his safety...

In regards to the crash rating, NHSA and NCAP don't test cars of this price range usually.

That said, I wouldn't be worried about becoming a sealed can of tuna in a 911. Plenty of reinforcement in the front and rear; gas tank is positioned in areas with solid protection surrounding it. I haven't looked at it in detail, but from removing my rear and front bumpers, the chassis is designed in ways to direct impact energy away from driver compartments.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:46 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Sports cars are often not crash tested because they're really expensive.

There are crash tests of a older boxsters you can find on youtube. Results should be similar to 911.

Front and rear impacts seem good because of open front crumble zone and the rear has massive frame structure and the engine is a shield, however the car will be totaled for sure. In new testing, being low to the ground means a truck bumper or other parts might hit head level and in many cars, this is fatal (imagine even worse for 911). A lifted big SUV is much safer for obvious reasons.

Thing to keep in mind is that testing is often done at lower speeds and isn't too realistic (stationary objects used). If you're going really fast and hit something, there are many factors, but intimately fast enough and at the right angle, you're dead.

Safety ratings nowadays seem to have a priority on accident avoidance via tech (auto stop etc) or other means (handling/roll prevention etc). Most cars are built about as safe as is reasonable structurally (including Porsche's) and still bad accidents are going either cause serious injury or death.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:47 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery

Old 01-28-2019, 04:08 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

It does NOT look safe at all. You may want to look into a Volvo.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:13 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
It does NOT look safe at all. You may want to look into a Volvo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXJBSRp6wE

hahahahahahahaha
Old 01-28-2019, 07:14 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by gforcealt
I just bought my oldest her first car, and I was a stickler about her getting a car with all the safety nannies and excellent crash test rating.
Actually keeping her off her cell phone while driving is more important than a crash test rating.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Tell her the next she calls you a hypocrite, you are going to crash test her cranium.

Great of you to buy her a car. It's nice when you can spoil your deserving children.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:28 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Tell her the next she calls you a hypocrite, you are going to crash test her cranium.

Great of you to buy her a car. It's nice when you can spoil your deserving children.
My wife got a new 944 when she graduated HS, but she still hasn't driven our Targa GTS...I do not wonder why there is a such thing called a "Woman Driver".
Old 01-28-2019, 10:52 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

As I recall, Porsche (and many other "exotic" sports car makers) choose not to go through US or Euro crash testing. I guess we (and our insurance companies) are trusting Porsche engineers to design structural and system safety.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:00 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 164 Posts

I have some personal experience with this - see here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1066...l#post14978987

I wish I could find the insurance pictures from that event...it was utterly incredible.

Have trusted Porsche engineering for a very long time.

cheers!
Old 01-29-2019, 12:05 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

The safety rating can easily be found by examining two issues:

1. Your daughter is complaining about a car you are buying her. Again, YOU are buying HER.

2. And she has the ability to make you justify what you earned and bought?

Answer: You’ve earned the right to do but whatever you want - no justification needed if it makes you happy.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:13 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Kids these days.. I was so grateful when my dad gave me his 8 year old Volvo on my 16th birthday. It was a 4 speed manual and I remember that the 2nd gear didn’t work. It had a AM FM radio and no cassette player with one speaker.
We bought our first child a new Jetta. VW makes nice safe cars for sure. I was planning on a 5+ year old car but lost that argument to the wife. At least I’m getting my money’s worth since our second child is driving it now.
My kid hinted that he wanted a Bimmer. I sat down with him and wrote out a contract for him to sign with my expectations and demands if I were to buy him a Bimmer. He chose the VW.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 01-29-2019 at 12:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 991 Crash Test Ratings