Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar detectors: current state?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 07:52 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

I've got an R3 and love it. Do wish the K band was better - other cars' blind spot monitoring sets it off very frequently, even with the filter on. Other than that no complaints at all.

Cheers,
NF
Old 01-26-2019, 07:59 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Max 360 & ALP jammers front & rear. Gave the Valentine away. Too many false alerts.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:26 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Latest Valentine One detector (for range, sensitivity, arrows) plus V1 Connection bluetooth module plus V1Driver software (third party software, IOS only) for filtering, geo-locating known falses, and shutting down all the in-band lane assist crap that now exists in valid radar frequencies is a pretty unbeatable combo...

I run the above in addition to Waze pretty much all the time.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:03 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
4 point 0: I have to disagree with you again on this topic. Stinger has been proven repeatedly to no longer be the best. Its bettered in both radar and Laser protection for a fraction of the price.

The only ones that have a problem with the Stinger, buy the base unit that has only 1 laser jammer point. That is not enough. You need a minimum of four. Two for the front and two for the rear.

Do you have a link showing VIP not to be the best? Of course many people take price into account and judge it not to be the best because of its price. They are illegal here, so we can't use dash mounted ones. We need them hidden.

The updated stinger has the smallest fibre optic sensors. They look like the end of a pencil.

The Stinger VIP will communicate with others in the area. This is great on our country runs in a group. If the lead car jams the brakes on, every other car in the group with one gets notified. Very cool feature for car groups.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:48 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

https://www.vortexradar.com/best-radar-detectors/
Old 01-26-2019, 10:05 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but I didn't find anything about the Stinger VIP other than this diagram, which shows something that is not only outdated, but wouldn't work.
You used to be able to buy just the detector. Now it comes with one jammer (Point if you will) You need two like the ALP. But the new VIP ones are tiny and hide. They are fibre optic.

You need two front and two rear, to have complete protection. Yes its very expensive. So I want to hear if it doesn't deliver. I do know someone who has one, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. Next run I will be checking it out closely.

Another guy has an ALON? I have never heard of that one.

Stinger without side jammers

Fibre optic You need 4 of these

STINGER VIP
Old 01-26-2019, 10:12 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/71523/

Now you can read all about it from real life owners.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:18 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/71523/

Now you can read all about it from real life owners.
Yes, thanks, He starts out by saying he has 1 FRONT anntenna. There is most of his problem. You need 2 front and 2 rear.

Good
* Radar antenna is HOT and has beat everything else I've owned, including the Uniden R3
* Display's use of colors
* Single cable between engine bay and interior cabin makes install of RD/Laser easy

Bad
* Police K band is often filtered like BSM's
* Police Ka band is learned and locked out
* 2 years and the VIP is still in a broken state of product development

Ugly
* Display is hard to read with polarized glasses
* Audio alerts are quiet for K/Laser
* Poor ramp-up
* Touching the display often results in a double press, muting and unmuting the alert
* Auto-brightness randomly stops working
* Only a single radar frequency is displayed at a time unless you use the impractical spectrum analyzer mode
* GPS and BSM filtering both display as "FalseList" with no differentiation

TL;DR - The Stinger VIP was promising but Stinger has failed to make a reliable radar detector after more than 2 years of development. Maybe someday they'll finish it, but for now I would avoid it.

K band radar is non existent in most countries. Its ancient. So I get it should be filtered out. We went to Ka decades ago, and most are laser now anyway.

So his main problem is K, which would not be an issue in my country. He does need 4 antenna though. That is a known fact, one does almost nothing. It would be pure chance they pointed the laser near that one, for it to work. The latest ones are epic and small to hide.
You need minimum of two per end. So again, that is big dollars. But if you want real protection, you need to spend big. You guys are once again luckier in that its not illegal in some states, so you don't need the added benefit of hiding it.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:30 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

4 point 0: You have a pattern and so do I. I feel like a broken record. You will always buy the most expensive product because it is the most expensive.
I will ONLY buy a product that has been thoroughly tested and reviewed. If it is the BEST I will buy it regardless of price. It is almost always the case that the best is never the most expensive.

The lasers on the new stinger have not been tested or proven effective. In fact, they haven't been tested at all, but they sure look cool like an IPD Plenum with golf ball dimples.
The radar on the stinger has been tested and it has been bested by many lesser detectors. The Stinger owners themselves have commented that the firmware upgrades are non existent.

What more can I say.. Go to RD forums and read about what they say..
Old 01-26-2019, 10:38 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

4 point 0: You have a pattern and so do I. I feel like a broken record. You will always buy the most expensive product because it is the most expensive.
I will ONLY buy a product that has been thoroughly tested and reviewed. If it is the BEST I will buy it regardless of price. It is almost always the case that the best is never the most expensive.

The lasers on the new stinger have not been tested or proven effective. In fact, they haven't been tested at all, but they sure look cool like an IPD Plenum with golf ball dimples.
The radar on the stinger has been tested and it has been bested by many lesser detectors. The Stinger owners themselves have commented that the firmware upgrades are non existent.

What more can I say.. Go to RD forums and read about what they say..
You're close. I don't always buy the most expensive. What I do is, I always examine the most expensive first. Then I work down and see what starts to drop off. Usually the most expensive is the best. I find that most of the time that is the case. Not every single time, but most of the time. I get that some features are not important to some people, so they may choose one with less features and save the money. Each to there own.

I will check it out with someone who has one before dropping the sort of money they want for the full setup. He has said to me that he has never had a ticket since owning it, and he only knows two speeds. Flat out and stopped.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Uniden in coming up with R7 in spring, it is an improved R3 with arrows of V1. A bit pricy at 599 but probably the best
Old 01-26-2019, 10:49 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Uniden is a windshield mount, I think we are discussing built ins..
Old 01-26-2019, 11:06 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Stealth is important here. This is a huge benefit to me.

Stealth is important here
Old 01-26-2019, 11:37 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Here we go again..

Can you show me a single review that shows that the Stinger laser fiber can jam ANY laser at all?
The firmware is non existent. They no longer update their products.

When someone does a shootout or comparison showing the Stinger is better I will consider it. Then it has to step up in their radar game as well..
Old 01-26-2019, 11:56 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Here's one

Radar Roy Review.

and another jammer test

Quick Reply: Radar detectors: current state?