Sponsored by:

Advice on first/used 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:12 AM
rp4
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Definitely good advice on coming up with the list of options I need and not spending time looking at other cars -- given I have no rush I can wait out the perfect car at a good price.

For now, I think I'll keep my search limited on low mileage CPOs (save on years 1,2 depreciation + have peace of mind);
And also any year 991 private party sales (history + chance to save more than at dealer)
And discard 3rd party dealers (except for the test drives)
Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts

One suggestion if you have never owned a sports car before would be to get a little driving instruction. These are not normal cars and you can get into a bit of trouble if you overcook it. Drive the car for a couple of weeks before you really hit it so you can feel how a rear engine car handles (it is different). I like the Xtreme track stuff or you could go to one of the Porsche centers. IT will cost around $ 500 to $1000 but is money well spent to gain some knowledge on safely operating your vehicle and exploring the car (and your) limits.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 AM
CLeagones
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought my first 991.1C4S last year and I did the research and also got a PPI which gave a tremendous sense of value and detail about the car prior to purchasing it..
Old 01-08-2019, 11:43 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
One suggestion if you have never owned a sports car before would be to get a little driving instruction. These are not normal cars and you can get into a bit of trouble if you overcook it. Drive the car for a couple of weeks before you really hit it so you can feel how a rear engine car handles (it is different). I like the Xtreme track stuff or you could go to one of the Porsche centers. IT will cost around $ 500 to $1000 but is money well spent to gain some knowledge on safely operating your vehicle and exploring the car (and your) limits.
So... you're saying that taking the car to Walmart, after hours, and doing figure eight's around the light poles isn't the best way to learn the car's limits?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

IMO CPO from a dealer is the best way to go. Car is delivered looking new and warranty is huge. I'm getting my second one in a couple of days and warranty goes until 2023 unlimited mileage. It has 7800 kms on it.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Why on earth would you want to negotiate for the price of a used car on its original MSRP?

MSRP has nothing to do with the current market value of the car. The dealer, of course, loves it if he can convince you otherwise.

To get the current market value of the car your looking at, you need to research a whole bunch of factors- the price points these cars are selling at nationwide, the condition, how long the cars been on the lot and the willingness of the dealer to sell. Once that's completed, then you'll know what its worth and you can, sensibly, start the bidding.

If you want to know how much the dealer "paid" for the car, see if you can get the auction price for similar cars. Add a few thousand to that and you might get it.

Quick Reply: Advice on first/used 911