Sponsored by:

Advice on first/used 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 AM
rp4
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on first/used 911

Could use some advice/opinions on the car search...

Looking to buy a 991. Never owned a sports car before.
I've been test driving 991 and 718 new & used recently. Leaning toward 991 because I like its look and 'why not'

I have a current lease that runs thru July, so I can wait for the right deal to come by.
Live in NJ, I drive about 10k/miles a year
Want to take into account 3-5 year cost of ownership & resale value into the decision.

I'm not sure if its better to target
2013/2014s with under 25k mile (seem to be going for 40-50% off mrsp)
or
2017/2018 with under 10k miles (and would it be reasonable to negotiate 25% off msrp?)

I'm ruling new out for now because its more than I want to spend

Also, thoughts on this particular model?
2013 C2, 11K miles, $63k asking, $101k MSRP (lighly optioned)
It has the color combo I like, has some features I require (Sports chorno, parkassist, 14way seats); and missing a few I'd put into a custom build
One thing that looks off to me is how often there are service records as well as # tire changes -- does that hint at maybe there was a problem trying to be diagnosed/fixed
https://www.maseratibergencounty.com...aa2a91ds107434
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AA2A91DS107434
https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AA2A91DS107434/
Old 01-06-2019, 10:47 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

There are a lot of tires put on this car, but consider that the first set may have been that the owner didn’t like the tires that were delivered on it. Mine was delivered with Goodyear’s and I took them off at 1,000 miles as they were horrid. Another set of tires could be explained by the change in ownership.

Finally, some people just like fresh rubber. There is nothing like a set of new tires on your car to make it feel fresh again.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

BTW - a light colored dash will create glare.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Mrl4924
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in the same boat. Just bought my first Porsche. Ended up with a 2014 S. Manual trans with 12,500 miles on it. It’s a CPO and I paid $75k. Original price was $120k. The pre-owned car locator on the Porsche site is very helpful. It’s worth it to buy one out of state and have it shipped. The seem to be slightly cheaper in CA for some reason.

I was was looking for a blue one as a well. A little harder to find. Most seem to be black or gray.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:31 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Tire changes could merely be swapping summer for winter and back.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:59 AM
dbk123
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in the same boat. Ended up buying a 2013 Carrera 4 for mid-60s - first sports car. I had been looking for some time (C4's are rather rare) and when I found an Aqua Blue one I jumped on it sight unseen thanks for the help of a number of Rennlisters. It was a pretty smooth experience. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

dbk123
Old 01-06-2019, 12:00 PM
dbk123
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh yeah - I've got the light colored dash as well. Polarized sunglasses work wonders.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:08 PM
rp4
Track Day

Thanks for the responses.
Had not considered dash glare before.

I think I should pass on the one I posted. It does make sense to just go for a higher optioned & perhaps S if I'm looking at older models.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:26 PM
DOG ON
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rp4
Thanks for the responses.
Had not considered dash glare before.

I think I should pass on the one I posted. It does make sense to just go for a higher optioned & perhaps S if I'm looking at older models.
If you have some time before you feel the need to pull the trigger, then it would be in your best interest to figure out exactly what options you want and wait for the right car. Make a list of your "deal-breaker/must-have" options and don't spend time on any vehicle ads that don't have them. I speak from experience - if you pick up a car that is great in many ways, but is missing some of those options, you'll most likely regret it on some level. In my case, that led me to spend a lot of time and money trying to retrofit missing options (finding out that it was near impossible in some cases) and eventually sell my first P-car after about a year and a half to buy one that had everything I wanted.

If you don't know what your must-have options are (which can easily happen if you haven't owned a Porsche sports car before), then test drive. A lot. (And research here on the forum.)

You'll eventually find your winner. Happy hunting.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:02 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would get a 991.2 10 out of 10 times. I'd also get at least an S model, or a T.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:55 PM
rymorg
Intermediate

I would definitely check out the Hot For Sale thread. While I didn't buy a car featured on it, it was an invaluable resource for information and gave me a good idea of key options and what to expect for prices so that once the car I purchased popped up for sale I could jump on it right away. I lost out of a couple of deals during my search, so be patient and be willing to wait for the right car for you and then go get it. In the meantime, utilize the resources here to help you out. Happy searching--it's a lot of fun!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:51 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by DOG ON
If you have some time before you feel the need to pull the trigger, then it would be in your best interest to figure out exactly what options you want and wait for the right car. Make a list of your "deal-breaker/must-have" options and don't spend time on any vehicle ads that don't have them. I speak from experience - if you pick up a car that is great in many ways, but is missing some of those options, you'll most likely regret it on some level. In my case, that led me to spend a lot of time and money trying to retrofit missing options (finding out that it was near impossible in some cases) and eventually sell my first P-car after about a year and a half to buy one that had everything I wanted.

If you don't know what your must-have options are (which can easily happen if you haven't owned a Porsche sports car before), then test drive. A lot. (And research here on the forum.)

You'll eventually find your winner. Happy hunting.
^^^Good advice^^^^^
If you are willing and/or have the means to spend a bit more, buy exactly what you want. I’ve made this mistake of settling for something less and ended up costing me way more $$$ and time modding cars then eventually trading in/selling them.
I’m on my first Porsche as well and I orderd exactly what I wanted. Only you know what suits you best. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:42 PM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck with your search - finding the right car can be both fun and frustrating. My suggestions:

1) Buy CPO from a Porsche dealer.
2) Always ask the dealer for a paint meter and check yourself to see if any panels have been repainted (chances are if no panels were repainted, it's not been in a noteworthy accident).
3) Test drive to make sure you love the car and there are no annoying rattles or things that may drive you nuts later.
4) Get the best car you are willing to spend so you don't have regrets later.

There are a few good dealers in NJ (Jack Daniels, Town, Paul Miller). Good luck!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:45 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

The 911 is an icon, and the 991 is an awesome version. Keep test driving while you are searching, if for no other reason to get more seat time. See if a dealer will let you take a car over the weekend. And if you can get to Atlanta, get a session on track at PEC. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 AM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I found a two year old CPO car that had been under a 2 year, 5,000 mile per year lease. So, four year factory warranty and the original owner ate 25% depreciation hit on a car with under 10k miles. A good way to go.

Quick Reply: Advice on first/used 911