Cobb Pro Tune for 991.2.. Its ready

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:46 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish
Noted!

The timing retard is interesting in that range. From my BMW days, could be a few things...probably just needs a bit more refinement with fueling. My hunch is saying too much boost...but that could also just be too aggressive of fueling. Curious to see how tuning for this engine develops over time.

Thank you for the log
It needs a lot more refining. This is early days. From stage 1 we could see that the turbo's are being spooled effortlessly by the Headers. That still has not been addressed fully with stage 2. I think mainly because their test car never had headers and a disbelief of the difference they would make. All of this si easily fixed as soon as they release Pro-tuning and allow us to work on the tune for 20 hours, not 2 hours.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:58 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Who would like to decipher these logs?<br /><br />

They are all labeled.

Stage 1 4th gear 93

Stage 2 4th gear 93 immediately after flashing *Pull 1*

Stage 2 4th gear 93 5 miles after flashing (stronger pull) *Pull 2*

Stage 2 3rd gear 93 7 miles after flashing.

Mod list:
BMC filter
Fabspeed headers (revised ones, not those ugly atrocious ones)
Fabspeed Bypass pipes
HRE R101 light wheels(possibly makes a difference)
Attached Files
File Type: csv
3rd Gear, 93 STG 2.csv (50.0 KB, 37 views)
4th Gear, 93 STG 2, Pull 2.csv (82.7 KB, 25 views)
4th Gear, 93 STG 2. Pull 1.csv (83.6 KB, 29 views)
4th Gear, 93 STG 1.csv (94.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-09-2019, 04:10 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psorcery

Mod list:
BMC filter
Fabspeed Bypass pipes
Bypass pipes make a nice difference. The force is strong with this one. Just took a quick look at your 3rd gear pull.

Waste gate duty still needs to be fixed. As fast as the cars are now, is nothing compared to where they will be when that is fixed.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Aatish
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

3rd Gear STG 2 - Timing starts to retard right as boost starts building it seems, peaks at peak boost, then stabilizes as boost starts falling off...other than that is looks pretty smooth. Picking up adaptations it seems.

4th Gear STG 1 - Similar behavior as above, but the retarding doesn't seem to be as severe...I'm guessing the slower build-up in speed has to do with this. That said, looks more stable than stage 2.

4th Gear STG 2 (Run 1) - Looks less stable in terms of timing throughout the pull, but not as extreme. Noticing the boost isn't holding up-top...

4th Gear STG 2 (Run 2) - Timing breaks up as boost builds, but levels off closer to peak. ECU is adapting to tune it seems.

*Disclaimer, not a tuner...but I have done a lot of logging, reviewing, and more logging in my days lol
Old 01-09-2019, 08:34 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

I added Psorcery in there. Again, just rough bench racing. Different parts of the world, different fuel quality, headwind, tailwind, uphill, downhill, hot, cold, windows up/down, tire pressures, dirty vs clean car, someone farts, etc. PTS's Targa is 300lbs heavier than regular GTS and also has a slightly higher drag coefficient, 0.32 vs 0.31. So that's already about a 8-9% deficit in power:weight which is huge.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:42 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

SPD did you get my most recent Data Logs? Check your email. THX
Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by Aatish
3rd Gear STG 2 - Timing starts to retard right as boost starts building it seems, peaks at peak boost, then stabilizes as boost starts falling off...other than that is looks pretty smooth. Picking up adaptations it seems.

4th Gear STG 1 - Similar behavior as above, but the retarding doesn't seem to be as severe...I'm guessing the slower build-up in speed has to do with this. That said, looks more stable than stage 2.

4th Gear STG 2 (Run 1) - Looks less stable in terms of timing throughout the pull, but not as extreme. Noticing the boost isn't holding up-top...

4th Gear STG 2 (Run 2) - Timing breaks up as boost builds, but levels off closer to peak. ECU is adapting to tune it seems.

*Disclaimer, not a tuner...but I have done a lot of logging, reviewing, and more logging in my days lol
In bold is what I noticed immediately. The top end part of the power band was initially bottlenecking.. By the time I stopped logging and got home I had a few more unlogged pulls and it seemed too be getting better..

Haven't driven it since I parked it.. Roughly 18 miles on the tune..

Thank you for your input!

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I added Psorcery in there. Again, just rough bench racing. Different parts of the world, different fuel quality, headwind, tailwind, uphill, downhill, hot, cold, windows up/down, tire pressures, dirty vs clean car, someone farts, etc. PTS's Targa is 300lbs heavier than regular GTS and also has a slightly higher drag coefficient, 0.32 vs 0.31. So that's already about a 8-9% deficit in power:weight which is huge.

Thanks SPD.. I'm going to come back once more later on with one more new 4th gear log to see how the ECU has adapted.

4.0 definitely has a strong tune. I'm willing to bet his Aussie gas is so much better than what we get on the west coast.

PS: I launched the car last night and it roasted the tires immediately.. Out of nowhere mid spin the tire caught traction and the car lunged like an animal. A little tail happy on the 2nd gear shift. Winter definitely doesn't help with traction.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Aatish
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

In bold is what I noticed immediately. The top end part of the power band was initially bottlenecking.. By the time I stopped logging and got home I had a few more unlogged pulls and it seemed too be getting better..

Haven't driven it since I parked it.. Roughly 18 miles on the tune..

Thank you for your input!
No worries!

The re-flash most likely reset the adaptations, hence the rougher initial runs. As you drive, it'll most likely adapt itself better for the tune.
That's how it worked on BMWs with the Siemens units; would expect similar behavior here...

Probably take about 25-30 miles or so for it set up nicely.

Curious to see if the PDK turning will allow the TCU to be made more passive with increased torque.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

I am new to P cars and tuning. I am enjoying this thread and learning a lot. I recently purchased the Cobb Accessport for my 991.1 Turbo. Hope to install Stage One in the next week. Thanks for all of the great info.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim991
I am new to P cars and tuning. I am enjoying this thread and learning a lot. I recently purchased the Cobb Accessport for my 991.1 Turbo. Hope to install Stage One in the next week. Thanks for all of the great info.
Welcome!

It's addicting so be careful.. Your 991.1 turbo with a tune would crush all of us.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Welcome!

It's addicting so be careful.. Your 991.1 turbo with a tune would crush all of us.
Thanks! Work and the never ending rain....slowing my plans. I will report back.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:11 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

PTS did your Dragy come in? Would you find a very slight downhill or flat grade and get a 60-130 time? Try ten or so. Very curious what kind of time you’ll see. Thanks for posting the logs all!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:42 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

They are all labeled.

Stage 1 4th gear 93

Stage 2 4th gear 93 immediately after flashing *Pull 1*

Stage 2 4th gear 93 5 miles after flashing (stronger pull) *Pull 2*

Stage 2 3rd gear 93 7 miles after flashing.

Mod list:
BMC filter
Fabspeed Bypass pipes
Your IAT's in the Stg. 2 4th gear pulls seem to about half of what we've been seeing when dynoing. +20 degrees or so vs +40/50F while strapped down.

Airflow seems to be sufficient over the stock IC's with your mods to keep your IAT's reasonable on a pull. It will be interesting to see multiple pulls and how the IC's handle it.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:53 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim991
Welcome Jim991, I'm not frightened of your turbo.........But I'm a little more competitive that Psorcery (And COBB is going to give me Pro-Tuning shortly.....I hope.)

Welcome!

Your 991.1 turbo with a tune would crush all of us.
Never say Die! (Pro-tune to the rescue very soon.)

4.0 definitely has a strong tune. I'm willing to bet his Aussie gas is so much better than what we get on the west coast.
Just Stage 2 Tune at present. Wait until you see this baby with a full custom tune, courtesy of the COBB Acess port Pro-tuner.....HINT HINT HINT COBB. I'm ready for my week on the dyno.......Jared.....Mitch ... C'mon hook a brother up.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:11 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Is the Mitch at Cobb the same Mitch that was in the UK for a while?

Quick Reply: Cobb Pro Tune for 991.2.. Its ready