Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the haters... (T content inside...)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

That's a "I just smoked a doobie response".
Old 12-20-2018, 08:20 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Sort of going back on topic here.. The GT3 Touring>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carrera T. Not even close.

It so happens to be MY opinion that the GTS is the best Carrera in the lineup. It has real deal parts and not gimmicky crap like cloth door straps, "lightweight glass" with no defrosting, weird grey side mirrors, and the tacky stripe. The only advantage I give to the T is option for LWB seats. Buying one off the dealer lot without all it's key lightweight features defeats the purpose.

GTS gets you: Widebody(deal breaker), more power (and more tuning potential), more traction, faster in every category, best looking front bumper(and all around), option for 5 lugs or CL nut, also has less sound deadening + more. It's also available in several variants(Coupe, AWD, Cab, Targa). It also includes the GTS interior package if that's your thing.

My GTS with exhaust and tune will walk on a GT3 in all it's variants.... With that said I would STILL trade my GTS for a GT3 Touring in a heartbeat.

Carrera T over a GT3 T? Pffff. Get real.
I agree with you and disagree with you. Of course the GT3 is WAY MORE "car" and a completely different experience. Also, I am in camp NA. I used to study and lust after Ferrari, Lamborghini and the like. After driving a couple and living with my 911 I love looking about those cars and driving them at "experience" places but really have no interest in owning one. A GT3 falls a notch under that.

On the street most of the GT3 advantages just don't matter outside of ego and bragging rights. Most of us aren't good enough drivers to make a difference in a GT3 and. base no option 911. A Carrera T is a better car for how most of use actually use our cars. I mean - when you drive your GT3, how many times do you bounce the needle off of redline?
Old 12-20-2018, 08:28 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by groundhog
You're obviously not involved in motorsport. If you were, you would know there are many people that are active in clubs and at different levels throughout many countries. In fact most people compete for a 25 buck trophy and are there for both the comradeship and competition. Virtually no one is cash positive in motorsport other than toward the upper levels of national competition. For most its a hobby and an expensive one at that. When you drive on the clock its a very different environment and yes, the times matter.
I have an NASA instructor license. Yes times matter and I'd bet <5% of members of rennlist track their cars with any regularity. Outside of a GT3, I would not recommend using a modern Porsche for repeated track time. They aren't built for it. Good track cars make bad street cars and good street cars make bad track cars overall. For competing as you mentioned, out of the ~5% that I hypothesis track with regularity; I bet a large % would over drive their modern 911 and damage their car and/or themselves trying to compete with other people and not themselves.

Of course I know we're all super elite f1 drivers since we anonymously post on a car forum.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Garfunkle - I completely agree. Loved both my 2016 and 2018 GT3's for their potential but ended up trading too a T and couldn't be happier.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:51 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by slvr993
Garfunkle - I completely agree. Loved both my 2016 and 2018 GT3's for their potential but ended up trading too a T and couldn't be happier.
If more people were honest with themselves and had the 'SMILES PER MILES" factor at the top of their list of consideration then there would be more base and T models sold. It's more fun to drive a car that you can actually handle and use. I'll be keeping my 991.1 cab forever but am considering picking up a Cayman or T. I really am having a hard time deciding. The T is the only 991.2 that I have interest in.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:55 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Well, the video review, if you even bothered to watch it, said they were close. And that guy didn't have his ego or his S, GTS, or Turbo in the way... It's funny to me how people react so strongly to the word hate and then just troll and name call and the like. Just be honest, at least with yourselves, if not us... A couple of people here, with plenty of GT experience, even put it above. I drove the T and a 991.1 GT3 on the same day, and we know where I sit on the Haterade parade... No one said it's a better car, just better for them. At the price difference, it shouldn't be better. But it probably shouldn't be as close as it is either.

I'll end with this. The Carrera T, in one variant, with it's crappy color choices and no CXX capability has outsold the previous model runouts by a factor of 2 to 3 times (In PCNA and PCL, at least, no idea about WW yet. I understand the T was focused on us 'muricans and it appears to have worked). Porsche has decided to continue the formula in the 718, and reportedly there will be a 992 run. So, get used to it...

T, for me, equals flexibility. You can have the most stripper base, to a performance spec, to a cushy sports car with all the amenities. No other models have the ability to do that out of the box. Sure, you can mod them, but then they aren't as intended and are they really Porsches at that point? I'm very glad Porsche offered this car. It's smart, increases their bottomline, and makes them a more capable entity, meaning they will be around for us for parts and support longer. That is something we all should be able to agree on.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Just one gimmick after another, and we all keep falling for them and keep coming back; however, I love my P-car and when I see a T on the street for the first time I'll give the driver a thumbs up, but will never own one myself.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:52 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I've owned a lot of P-Cars -14 so far. From 911SC and 993, to Cayman R and Cayman GTS, Boxster S and a couple 991 GT3s. I've had classic Ferrari's, Miata's etc as well. In my opinion, the T isn't a gimmick. Granted there are some gimmicky components like calling it lighter weight, but the sum of it's parts comes together in a way that feels special and very enjoyable. I never intended to buy one but test drove one at the suggestion of my SA. The guy selling me cars 2x the price of the T ( also 18 years with the same Porsche Dealership selling 918s, GT2's etc) was insistent I try the T. I loved it. My buddy has a 911 R. Same thing. On a spec basis it should feel like the 991.2 GT3 and it does but better. Cars are rolling art that involves all the senses, and as such are very subjective. So there is no right answer. I agree with S.S., its great that Porsche puts out so much "ART" and allows so much bespoke customization so that most can find the car experience that's really what they are all about.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

For the discerning enthusiast who's solitary priority is direct connection between man and machine, a vehicle design focused on dazzling man's sensations behind the wheel, firing every synapse of his being. Crafted by those who share this singular mission of purity in driving excitement, there is only one choice. The Carrera T...
Old 12-20-2018, 02:36 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Lit another Doobie.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:55 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

If you TRULY want purity and a great driving experience, buy a base 991.2. BASE.

Why? I dare you, double dare you, TRIPLE DAWG DARE YOU to try and lose traction in a corner in that thing.. It's a one wheel spinner. No LSD. You can throw it into any turn and mash the throttle with all your might.. The car will not drift or spin out. It's the real virgin car.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
For the discerning enthusiast who's solitary priority is direct connection between man and machine, a vehicle design focused on dazzling man's sensations behind the wheel, firing every synapse of his being. Crafted by those who share this singular mission of purity in driving excitement, there is only one choice. The Carrera T...
Hahaha

Keep em coming. This is entertaining. Sounds like I'm reading a brochure written by a marketing team.

Please, use more thesaurus.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:14 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
If you TRULY want purity and a great driving experience, buy a base 991.2. BASE.

Why? I dare you, double dare you, TRIPLE DAWG DARE YOU to try and lose traction in a corner in that thing.. It's a one wheel spinner. No LSD. You can throw it into any turn and mash the throttle with all your might.. The car will not drift or spin out. It's the real virgin car.
That's what I did for my daily. Base 991.2 PDK. While I am still a Boxster/Cayman guy, I have to admit the PDK 911 is growing on me more and more every day. I haven't really driven it hard though (other than launch control to compare summer to all-season tires). We've been lucky enough that on the weekends we've had 60+ degree weather. That's BGTS weather.

I did flog it a bit the first weekend I brought it home. Very different than the Miata and BGTS. You can feel the weight in the rear and I found it a bit disconcerting. That being said, each time I went a little harder it just squatted, shot right through and told me to quit being a ***** and go faster. I'll probably push it a little harder on some of my favorite roads soon, but I'm really looking forward to taking it to the track in the Spring. Just want to take it once to see how it handles at the limit. Or at least explore how far I'm comfortable pushing it. Even though it feels weird I suspect it will comfortably handle far, far, far more than I would ever push on a public road.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:54 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
.... I mean - when you drive your GT3, how many times do you bounce the needle off of redline?
Everytime buddy. Everytime.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:21 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KM1959
Everytime buddy. Everytime.
As you should.

Quick Reply: For the haters... (T content inside...)