Sponsored by:

For the haters... (T content inside...)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:22 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Sort of going back on topic here.. The GT3 Touring>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carrera T. Not even close.

Carrera T over a GT3 T? Pffff. Get real.
I have a 2019 3RS and a 2018 T manual in my garage. They couldn't be more different. NA PDK and Turbo manual.
The 3RS is brand new but I've had many (6) 991 GT cars. My 3RS is strictly for track and mtn drives.

In DD / around town scenario - I don't enjoy the stress or "show" of driving the 3RS around town and it's nowhere near as fun as the T- like seriously not even close. The low down torque, firm but not jarring ride and relative simplicity of the T is perfect for fun around town - sounds good enough, burbles and pops at will if you want to be childish, when there's a bit of runway, you can let it rip and it makes you giggle. To have fun in the RS, you have to slog through the low RPMs, get it wound out to 6000, and then rip to 8000+, shift, do it again, then again. By now you've woken up the neighbors, dogs are barking everywhere and you are getting evil looks and obscene gestures. In a GT car, All the while dealing with a ride that isn't exactly 'luxurious". I've been followed home more than once to be scolded. Due to the ridiculously awesome NA sound, people think you are driving like an idiot even if you aren't.

On the track it is obviously no contest. I won't even go there. Laughable to compare any 991 GT car to a Carrera T.

In the mountains, I don't know which is more fun. Depends on the type of drive and my mood I guess. The T is fast, silly, and light on it's feet. The ride is not fatiguing at all. You can wring it out at will and it just gives and gives. And the RAS is obvious, the car follows you. It's spectacular. The 3RS is harsh (the 991.2 RS much harsher than the 991.1 RS, not so with the "regular" GT3's) terrifyingly fast once you get it wound out, ridiculously planted, does exactly what you ask it to, no matter what the speed, and it takes your breath away. Much more emotional and "life changing." Can be pushed but the limit is high, so should only be done when it's obviously safe to do so. Best way to put it - If you are frustrated / stressed and need to clear your head by tearing a hole in the asphalt, take the 3RS. If you are just looking for a hellaciously "fun" time, take the T.

Last edited by sgroer; 12-21-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

School is in session gentlemen...
Old 12-21-2018, 12:25 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
For the discerning enthusiast who's solitary priority is direct connection between man and machine, a vehicle design focused on dazzling man's sensations behind the wheel, firing every synapse of his being. Crafted by those who share this singular mission of purity in driving excitement, there is only one choice. The Carrera T...
Name:  eWIijuk.gif
Views: 10
Size:  2.32 MB
Old 12-21-2018, 12:56 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

lol rennlist, please never change!
Old 12-21-2018, 09:01 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I have a 2019 3RS and a 2018 T manual in my garage. They couldn't be more different. NA PDK and Turbo manual.
The 3RS is brand new but I've had many (6) 991 GT cars. My 3RS is strictly for track and mtn drives.

In DD / around town scenario - I don't enjoy the stress or "show" of driving the 3RS around town and it's nowhere near as fun as the T- like seriously not even close. The low down torque, firm but not jarring ride and relative simplicity of the T is perfect for fun around town - sounds good enough, burbles and pops at will if you want to be childish, when there's a bit of runway, you can let it rip and it makes you giggle. To have fun in the RS, you have to slog through the low RPMs, get it wound out to 6000, and then rip to 8000+, shift, do it again, then again. By now you've woken up the neighbors, dogs are barking everywhere and you are getting evil looks and obscene gestures. In a GT car, All the while dealing with a ride that isn't exactly 'luxurious". I've been followed home more than once to be scolded. Due to the ridiculously awesome NA sound, people think you are driving like an idiot even if you aren't.

On the track it is obviously no contest. I won't even go there. Laughable to compare any 991 GT car to a Carrera T.

In the mountains, I don't know which is more fun. Depends on the type of drive and my mood I guess. The T is fast, silly, and light on it's feet. The ride is not fatiguing at all. You can wring it out at will and it just gives and gives. And the RAS is obvious, the car follows you. It's spectacular. The 3RS is harsh (the 991.2 RS much harsher than the 991.1 RS, not so with the "regular" GT3's) terrifyingly fast once you get it wound out, ridiculously planted, does exactly what you ask it to, no matter what the speed, and it takes your breath away. Much more emotional and "life changing." Can be pushed but the limit is high, so should only be done when it's obviously safe to do so. Best way to put it - If you are frustrated / stressed and need to clear your head by tearing a hole in the asphalt, take the 3RS. If you are just looking for a hellaciously "fun" time, take the T.
Great perspective.

Here is something else to consider.... I have a friend that was going to trade his cayman on a Macan. We peer pressured him into a mountain weekend for driving. He just picked up a beater for daily duties to keep his cayman. He's likely the most "responsible" person in the group as far as making sound life choices, saving, eating right, women, etc. We had to scold him so many times for crossing the center line on blind turns. Like my friend, many people on here talk but have never gone on a PCA or other group drive. People - do this and you'll fall in love with your car all over again. On a track you use the whole road for the best line and don't have any oncoming traffic to deal with. On a mountain road, you just can't do that so it's impossible to actually use anything more than a base car. Also, there is no room for error. On a track there are runoffs and such. On a road there are trees, rocks, cliffs and other drivers. This applies to Carrera's vs GT cars and 991.1 vs 991.2... Also - IMO a wide body GTRS would be less fun if not only due to the mere width[on a public mountain road].

I say it all of the time.... Good track cars make poor street cars and good street cars make poor track cars.

Comparing spec sheets and youtube reviews to driving in the mountains not on a closed off[for media]; what you see online is incredibly different that what you will experience and a real mountain drive.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:03 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
For the discerning enthusiast who's solitary priority is direct connection between man and machine, a vehicle design focused on dazzling man's sensations behind the wheel, firing every synapse of his being. Crafted by those who share this singular mission of purity in driving excitement, there is only one choice. The Carrera T...
Well, a base 991.1 is more visceral, lighter and louder. If that's what you mean by connecting and sensation.... just sayin'
Old 12-21-2018, 11:43 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

At 7:08 in the review: "Overall then, this car, the Carrera T, feels smaller, it feels lighter, it feels daintier than the GT3...and a lot closer then, to the 911s of old."

This was music to my ears and completely consistent with Pete Stout's early report that he and the other reviewers were clamoring more for the Carrera T than the GT3 touring during their test and comparison of both cars in Europe. And I'm saying this as a 991.2 GT3 owner with a T on the way. I want a smaller, lighter feel. And it's the last of the narrow-body 911s, too. Very exciting!
Old 12-23-2018, 08:58 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

After reading this entire thread one thing is crystal clear. SS’s thread title is the worlds best hater hunting call. He managed to get everyone of them on this forum to self identify in this thread instantly.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:18 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Copperhead37
After reading this entire thread one thing is crystal clear. SS’s thread title is the worlds best hater hunting call. He managed to get everyone of them on this forum to self identify in this thread instantly.
I don't think there's a single person who owns a 991 that hates a T. Hate? Seriously? Like hate a trim of a car? Hate is a strong word.

It's funny that what seems like all T owners think other 991 owners are haters.. What are we hating on again? This section is full of people with a 7-8 figure net worth along with collections of cars also in the same 7-8 figure category.

Now I know what the T stands for.. InferioriTy complex.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:24 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
I don't think there's a single person who owns a 991 that hates a T. Hate? Seriously? Like hate a trim of a car? Hate is a strong word.

It's funny that what seems like all T owners think other 991 owners are haters.. What are we hating on again? This section is full of people with a 7-8 figure net worth along with collections of cars also in the same 7-8 figure category.

Now I know what the T stands for.. InferioriTy complex.
Hahaha, Agreed. I don't hate any 911 full stop. I love them all. The only thing I don't like / hate lol is rear wipers. I don't think much of the 996 fried eggs, but I don't even hate the 996. All 911's are great. So I agree, there aren't any 991 owners that hate T's. I don't think they are anything special, that's for sure, but I definitely don't hate them. If they were widebody, I may have even considered one.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Hahaha, Agreed. I don't hate any 911 full stop. I love them all. The only thing I don't like / hate lol is rear wipers. I don't think much of the 996 fried eggs, but I don't even hate the 996. All 911's are great. So I agree, there aren't any 991 owners that hate T's. I don't think they are anything special, that's for sure, but I definitely don't hate them. If they were widebody, I may have even considered one.
Nailed it.. If the T was offered in a widebody it would be a close 1.B to the GTS being 1.A
Old 12-23-2018, 10:11 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer

Great post and as a fellow long time GT3 and RS owner, I agree. On track, GT3 and RS are awesome. Off track? Like you, I prefer the Carrera T for road driving for several of the reasons you articulated. I really had no idea until I started driving a buddy’s T. Soon I was hooked and had to add one to the stable.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Am I the only one that would have to have some sort of drop top 911 if also owned a GT car?! I mean why would one ever want to own a 2 Coupes, that while different in many ways still have a closed cockpit feel? Staying on topic though, if I had a GT car and wanted another 991 I could never see myself looking at a T.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:24 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Am I the only one that would have to have some sort of drop top 911 if also owned a GT car?! I mean why would one ever want to own a 2 Coupes, that while different in many ways still have a closed cockpit feel? Staying on topic though, if I had a GT car and wanted another 991 I could never see myself looking at a T.
Can’t speak for others but I have never even considered a vert/cab. Just no interest.

But really, I think sgroer’s post (#91) above answers your question quite nicely.

Last edited by Porsch; 12-23-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch

Can’t speak for others but I have never even considered a vert/cab. Just no interest.
To me it makes for such a different experience, but at the same time very similar if you know what I mean. Maybe it has to do with riding motorcycles for over 35 years & rollercoasters.

Quick Reply: For the haters... (T content inside...)