Sponsored by:

For the haters... (T content inside...)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 01:15 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
Don't get me wrong. I like the Carrera T. ( I was actually comparing the 981 to 718). I was close to buying one myself. The car is great, it's the self-absorbed owners that are the problem. But then again , that can apply to almost any Porsche model, even the SUVs. I guess that is just what happens when you buy into a lifestyle brand.

Enjoy your T.
That's what is great about Porsche.

You argue the 718 is better than the 981 and the 911.
He argues the 911 is better than the 718 and the 981.
I argue the 981 is better than the 718 and 911.

We are all right!

The 911 will be faster than either. The 718 will have amazing mid-engine balance and torque. The 981 has amazing mid-engine balance and one of the most-gloriously wailing power/torque-building engines I've ever experienced.

My 991.2 911 will annihilate my 981 Boxster GTS on a track. So will a 718. But when the weather is above 60 degrees I'm driving the BGTS. For me there is no greater pleasure to be found on the road than my manual 981 BGTS over 4,000rpm. Wailing down twisty, deserted country roads in 2nd and 3rd with that NA flat-six wailing is my happy place.

I'm eager for Spring. We have a private track day scheduled in March and I plan to take my PDK 911 and manual BGTS. Can't wait to run them back-to-back. Of course the 911 will be faster, but I'm eager to explore them together.

That being said, if I could only have one track day car it would be an easy choice: 718 GTS. Mid-engine balance and rich with torque. Perfection.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:21 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR

We are all right!

The 911 will be faster than either. The 718 will have amazing mid-engine balance and torque. The 981 has amazing mid-engine balance and one of the most-gloriously wailing power/torque-building engines I've ever experienced.

My 991.2 911 will annihilate my 981 Boxster GTS on a track. So will a 718. But when the weather is above 60 degrees I'm driving the BGTS. For me there is no greater pleasure to be found on the road than my manual 981 BGTS over 4,000rpm. Wailing down twisty, deserted country roads in 2nd and 3rd with that NA flat-six wailing is my happy place.

I'm eager for Spring. We have a private track day scheduled in March and I plan to take my PDK 911 and manual BGTS. Can't wait to run them back-to-back. Of course the 911 will be faster, but I'm eager to explore them together.

That being said, if I could only have one track day car it would be an easy choice: 718 GTS. Mid-engine balance and rich with torque. Perfection.
Lap times vs other cars/people only matter when there $$$ involved for rankings. A lower powered car is easier to learn on. A 3.4/3.8 Porsche is more fun IMO. Also, anyone that debates the merit of performance and has a can is dumb. Buy a cab for an experience and not something you read in a magazine.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:25 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
A lower powered car is easier to learn on.
That's why I bought a Miata first. And still autocross it.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:26 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree with you. They are all great cars. Horses for courses.

I specifically bought a 718 Cayman GTS for the track. I got a PDK although , in general, I prefer MT. On the other hand, I chose to keep my 987.1 Boxster S with manual for weekend drives. Nobody will accuse that car of being speedy but it is still fun to wind out with the top down. I also like the smaller size of the older generation. I like the feminine curvy lines that many others thought made it less than manly. If I had to choose, I wouldn't really know which car to get rid off. They serve completely different purposes in my mind. Neither is a daily driver, in which case I have an SUV to cart junk home from Home Depot and to take camping/fishing...whatever.

I'm sure there are guys who will love the new 718 T. No doubt the "I'd rather drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow" crowd will promote the wonders of this car.

As PCA says, "It's not the cars, it's the people" ( or something like that). This can be viewed in both a good and bad way.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:29 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
What is pure about the T?
Purity in its execution. Simplicity of form. Evocative of pure motoring pleasure delivering dynamic sensations wired to the driver's soul. This is the T.....
Old 12-19-2018, 01:30 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Purity in its execution. Simplicity of form. Evocative of pure motoring pleasure delivering dynamic sensations wired to the driver's soul. This is the T.....
Hmm..pure BS...now I understand!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

LOL
Old 12-19-2018, 09:22 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

EL Oh EL
Old 12-19-2018, 09:27 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR

We are all right!

From your fingers to the auto gods ears.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:55 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

This is from the Porsche marketing department. . Still a nice car tho.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:03 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Lap times vs other cars/people only matter when there $$$ involved for rankings. A lower powered car is easier to learn on. A 3.4/3.8 Porsche is more fun IMO. Also, anyone that debates the merit of performance and has a can is dumb. Buy a cab for an experience and not something you read in a magazine.
You're obviously not involved in motorsport. If you were, you would know there are many people that are active in clubs and at different levels throughout many countries. In fact most people compete for a 25 buck trophy and are there for both the comradeship and competition. Virtually no one is cash positive in motorsport other than toward the upper levels of national competition. For most its a hobby and an expensive one at that. When you drive on the clock its a very different environment and yes, the times matter.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:30 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 426 Likes on 186 Posts

I like the T. I like the cloth seats, PASM, mechanical diff, lightweight glass, shorter manual lever, wheels, mirrors, straps, vents, even the stripe....

I am under no illusions that is is a better car due to these things, but it seems like a perfect way to spec a no/low option car.

If it was an option instead of a model, I would pick this option on a C2 easily. It feels like a special package to those that like the things above + slightly shorter ratios and minimal sound deadening just sounds cool, even if none of it is perceptible....

JMO

Old 12-20-2018, 02:03 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Sort of going back on topic here.. The GT3 Touring>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carrera T. Not even close.

It so happens to be MY opinion that the GTS is the best Carrera in the lineup. It has real deal parts and not gimmicky crap like cloth door straps, "lightweight glass" with no defrosting, weird grey side mirrors, and the tacky stripe. The only advantage I give to the T is option for LWB seats. Buying one off the dealer lot without all it's key lightweight features defeats the purpose.

GTS gets you: Widebody(deal breaker), more power (and more tuning potential), more traction, faster in every category, best looking front bumper(and all around), option for 5 lugs or CL nut, also has less sound deadening + more. It's also available in several variants(Coupe, AWD, Cab, Targa). It also includes the GTS interior package if that's your thing.

My GTS with exhaust and tune will walk on a GT3 in all it's variants.... With that said I would STILL trade my GTS for a GT3 Touring in a heartbeat.

Carrera T over a GT3 T? Pffff. Get real.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:16 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Sort of going back on topic here.. The GT3 Touring>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carrera T. Not even close.

It so happens to be MY opinion that the GTS is the best Carrera in the lineup. It has real deal parts and not gimmicky crap like cloth door straps, "lightweight glass" with no defrosting, weird grey side mirrors, and the tacky stripe. The only advantage I give to the T is option for LWB seats. Buying one off the dealer lot without all it's key lightweight features defeats the purpose.

GTS gets you: Widebody(deal breaker), more power (and more tuning potential), more traction, faster in every category, best looking front bumper(and all around), option for 5 lugs or CL nut, also has less sound deadening + more. It's also available in several variants(Coupe, AWD, Cab, Targa). It also includes the GTS interior package if that's your thing.

My GTS with exhaust and tune will walk on a GT3 in all it's variants.... With that said I would STILL trade my GTS for a GT3 Touring in a heartbeat.

Carrera T over a GT3 T? Pffff. Get real.
The T at its core is the very essence of Porsche heritage. Purity in its intent, simplicity. The model, admirable in its honesty....
Old 12-20-2018, 03:37 AM
K-A
Drifting

The T at its core is the very essence of Porsche heritage. Purity in its intent, simplicity. The model, admirable in its honesty....

Quick Reply: For the haters... (T content inside...)