Sponsored by:

991 T Front End Noise when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:41 AM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 991 T Front End Noise when Cold

I helped my friend buy a 2019 Porsche 911 T.

My friend says there an issue when he turns the steering wheel sharp, left or right, such as moving in or out of a garage or parking place. It’s happened several times. However, it seems when the car warms up after driving a while, the very loud banging sound, goes away. When he turns sharp, the steering wheel shutters and a loud sound comes from the front axle area, almost sounding as if he hit something, over and over, until he straightens the steering wheel. It’s in a garage when it is not being used. Granted the weather has been cold recently but it is still in the garage. Could it be that the cold weather is causing the banging noise and the feedback in the steering wheel?

The service person from the dealer says that what my friend is feeling during sharp turns is tire scrub. Tire scrub is more noticeable during colder temperatures. But it can occur during warmer weather, so even though the car is in a garage, tire scrub may still be present.

I experienced something similar when I parked my former 2009 911 C4S outside in the cold, where upon first moving the car, there would be a loud sound from presumably from the car brakes breaking from the rotors due to moisture and the cold. Bit it would only happen when starting to move the car from a standstill...there would be no further sound when turning. We live across from each other. When I moved my current 2011 911 Turbo which was also in a garage, my car did not make the noise but this did at about the same time.

Has anyone experienced this and what was remedy, if any? Is this normal? And if it is normal, can it cause harm to the car? Is there a bigger issue? What would you recommend to do?

Thank you.

Last edited by no-subt2; 12-10-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

There's no remedy other than purchasing winter tires. His tires are freezing and the noise you're hearing is perfectly normal.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:18 AM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tires freeze? But winter tires will not freeze?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by no-subt2
Tires freeze? But winter tires will not freeze?
That's true. The soft compound in summer tires becomes hard, and they may even crack. Winter tires use a synthetic compound that is pliable in the cold.

It is normal. But the owner might consider putting on some winter tires. The summer ones are dangerous to ride on in cold weather, IMO.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:42 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 219 Posts

That wheel hopping/scrubbing issue does seem like a thing w/the 911s as I've heard it reported a number of times now. Something about the slight difference between the wheel angle of the inside vs. outside front tires.

I also strongly recommend taking summer tires off (in climates where winters get, and remain, below 45F) and storing them in a heated garage, or basement. Use winter performance tires, even if not driving in snow, if the temps regularly get below 45F.

One winter I got lazy and left my Michelin Pilot Super Sports stacked in my unheated detached garage all winter after swapping them out for the winter setup. The next summer, all four MPSSs developed tears in the treads and showed odd stress marks on the sidewalls. So it's not just handling performance, the summer performance rubber just doesn't appear to like constant exposure to cold air.

Other than that one winter, I've always stored my summer wheels/tires in my basement over the winter. While I can't be positive it was the long exposure to cold, I've never had that issue with any other sets of MPSSs over the years. Anecdotal, but seems to support what tire manufactures, places like Tire Rack, and various car enthusiast communities have been saying forever.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:00 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 219 Posts

More on the front-end noise, maybe, from everybody's favorite Porsche You Tuber:
Old 12-10-2018, 09:20 PM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7861...n-reverse.html

This is the issue - totally normal. I love the description of "feels like I'm driving over acorns."
Old 12-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Acorn effect. Several threads on it.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 PM
ASF-NS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prior to getting winter tires on my C4S, this happened when I turned my front wheels sharply when backing out of my steep driveway (to avoid sports lip scrape) or when pulling out of a parking spot. I assumed it was the front wheels grabbing, when it was actually the front wheels almost skidding and getting pushed/pulled in whatever direction I was going.

Softer winter tires did the trick.

Last edited by ASF-NS; 12-10-2018 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Addition

Quick Reply: 991 T Front End Noise when Cold