Sponsored by:

Another PSE install question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
A new wrinkle. When I was driving home form the dealer, a coolant system failure code popped up on the dash. An odd coinciendence. I did a quick search and that could be tied to a bad COV.
Looks like it's gotta go back to the dealer. If so, I'll have them look over the exhaust when they have the car apart.
That does sound just too coincidental! Maybe there is a loss of vacuum impacting both systems. A related tidbit just FYI: Our cars do not pull vacuum from the intake like the cars of old, it actually uses a separate vacuum pump.

I hope this gets resolved for you soon! Please let us know how it turns out,
Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I'll try and fix it myself before going to the dealer. I got myself in this position, I'm sure I can figure it out. Guaranteed it's a install error I made. Over the years, I've learned that often times the fix is easier than you think. In this case, I just have to take the entire rear end of my car off.

I'll report back on what I find.

I will say I loved the glorious sound when I opened the valves manually.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:04 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Ok. Making progress.

I forgot to remove the second vacuum line from the standard S exhaust.

Now I'm left with 4 vacuum lines and not sure where/how they connect.
Attached Images     
Old 12-17-2018, 04:31 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

A quick update. I got the vacuum lines all set up. I was just overthinking it.

However, the PSE still wouldn't work. It was stuck in quite mode. I could hear the valves trying to open, but there wasn't enough vacuum. I could also hear the COV relay clicking loudly. So, I put it all together and decided it had to go to the dealer. As I was driving there, I noticed my heat stopped working. Now I'm thinking a COV went bad and maybe I'm not as bad of a mechanic as I thought.

Long story short, the dealer is looking it over. Agreed it might be one or more COV"s and it would be covered under CPO. Fingers crossed on I can finally hear that PSE by tomorrow. DC weather is warm and sunny for the next couple of days. I'd like to get out and scream it a bit before putting it away for winter.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:41 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, let us know.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:25 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Just hear from the dealer. They're still trying to track down the vacuum leak.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:04 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

There are 8 COV,s in our cars, and from what I understand, no way to find out which COV is bad. Each has to be tested to find the bad one. Have you had the dealership program your PSE button yet??
Old 12-19-2018, 03:54 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mymac
There are 8 COV,s in our cars, and from what I understand, no way to find out which COV is bad. Each has to be tested to find the bad one. Have you had the dealership program your PSE button yet??
Yep, they programed the button. In one of my earlier posts I noted you can hear the flaps trying to open when you push the button and the relay clicking, but there isn't enough vacuum to open them.

Yesterday they said that they felt the COV's tested fine, but they're still trying to track down the vacuum leak. I'm hoping to hear from them any minute with an update. They've had it since Monday.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:45 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Still at the dealer. I'm getting a bit of the run around - "tech's leaving for the holiday's" and "hope to get to my car tomorrow".

I'm trying to remain patient since I know this this is related to the PSE install I did. I want to make sure it's covered under the CPO. Don't want to burn any little good will I have at this point.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:04 PM
rporzio
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear, hope it works out soon...! Ralph
Old 02-26-2020, 09:29 AM
dkfx
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
Still at the dealer. I'm getting a bit of the run around - "tech's leaving for the holiday's" and "hope to get to my car tomorrow".

I'm trying to remain patient since I know this this is related to the PSE install I did. I want to make sure it's covered under the CPO. Don't want to burn any little good will I have at this point.
Did the dealer ever figure out what was going on? I'm having similar issues and not sure where to start.

edit: replaced the COV as suspected failure point, everything works as it should now. about 90 mins to replace and put back together / put tools away / giggle while you press the button and rev it up a bunch

Last edited by dkfx; 02-26-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:09 PM
thejazzman
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the PSE COV? Must not be buried too deep if you replaced it in 90 minutes. Another thread indicated it was located behind the plenum and that is DEEP!
Old 01-05-2021, 03:31 PM
dkfx
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thejazzman
Where is the PSE COV? Must not be buried too deep if you replaced it in 90 minutes. Another thread indicated it was located behind the plenum and that is DEEP!
If memory serves me correctly it was to the right side of the airbox behind the taillight crammed in there around the passenger side intake manifold area. I looked through old pics but couldn't find exactly where it was, but I believe mine was #3 from this graph :

http://plenums.blogspot.com/2016/10/...-overview.html

Last edited by dkfx; 01-05-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:13 PM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

OP must of gotten the P bill is out cold 😂
Old 04-24-2021, 01:10 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dkfx
If memory serves me correctly it was to the right side of the airbox behind the taillight crammed in there around the passenger side intake manifold area. I looked through old pics but couldn't find exactly where it was, but I believe mine was #3 from this graph :

http://plenums.blogspot.com/2016/10/...-overview.html

Exhaust flap COV is number 4 in this pic.

OP, I know you sold your car. Whatever was the solution? Also, you interchangeably used open and closed with vacuum on and off. To be clear, vacuum=closed=quiet, atmosphere=open=loud=resting position. Sounds like yours were stuck vacuum=closed=quiet. So, you couldn’t have a vacuum leak. Was the programming not taking? Was it a stuck COV? Were the valves mounted backward in the exhaust?

Quick Reply: Another PSE install question.