Sponsored by:

Window tint in SF Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 02:42 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Window tint in SF Bay Area

I’m considering to get tint on my new GTS and would appreciate some first hand experiences. In California I think the max is 70% VLT, but I had 50% in a previous Audi front and back and only got questioned once in 5years.

This is my first Porsche so I am wondering what’s the general stance on window tinting? Do it or leave it OEM? It’s not going to be a daily but in the summer I will drive it to work and it will be parked in direct sun light. In the past I have tinted my cars to help with heat reduction and interior preservation. Now I also have a 4yr who has drawn a liking to riding in the new car... she has good taste... but no eating in the car So some additional rear glare protection would be a plus

I would really appreciate if some folks are open to share pics of tint, including the spec that would be very helpful.

Also if there are any recommendations of a solid installer on or close to the peninsula that would be much appreciated. I don’t mind paying extra for peace of mind.

thanks

Last edited by Ecosse911; 11-25-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:57 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I have 50% on the fronts, 20% rears and back windows with UVA/B. I also have a 95% on the windshield with extra UVA/B protection. I had this same setup on my 06S, and have it on my wife’s Macan S as well. No issues from the local Police as well as CHP (my neighbor is CHP). I did it for protection from the sun. As opposed to “looks”, but I do think it plays well on Guards, Seal Gray, and Mahongany.

Last edited by SoCal C2S; 11-25-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:18 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
I have 50% on the fronts, 20% rears and back windows. I also have a 5% on the windshield with extra UV protection. I had this same setup on my 06S, and have it on my wife’s Macan S as well. No issues from the local Police as well as CHP (my neighbor is CHP). I did it for protection from the su. As opposed to “looks”, but I do think it plays well on Guards, Seal Gray, and Mahongany.

Nice!

I wondered if having a darker tint on the rear side glass helps to detract or attract attention from the front side glass tint? But in your case appears to detract as you have not been bothered by the lovely CHP

I’m leaning towards getting 55% on the side glass. I came across a post by GTSDDS where he used an Xpel product with a Grey tint but I’m still pondering the rear window.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2018, 12:21 PM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I’d absolutely tint - not just for the UVA/B protection, but - critically in California - infrared heat rejection.

I can recommend Spectra Photosync, which I believe still offers the highest infrared rejection on the market. Premier in Fremont did my 991.1 CS and am bringing them my 991.2 GTS in 2 weeks. A bit pricier than other installers, but they developed Spectra Photosync and I believe they’re the only local option if you want this film.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
I’d absolutely tint - not just for the UVA/B protection, but - critically in California - infrared heat rejection.

I can recommend Spectra Photosync, which I believe still offers the highest infrared rejection on the market. Premier in Fremont did my 991.1 CS and am bringing them my 991.2 GTS in 2 weeks. A bit pricier than other installers, but they developed Spectra Photosync and I believe they’re the only local option if you want this film.
Thanks for the recommendation I will check them out. Have you decided what VLT you are using on the sides and back?
Old 11-25-2018, 01:12 PM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I did 55% sides and rear, with 75% on the front. I’ll go with the same VLT this time around.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:41 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecosse911

Nice!

I wondered if having a darker tint on the rear side glass helps to detract or attract attention from the front side glass tint? But in your case appears to detract as you have not been bothered by the lovely CHP

I’m leaning towards getting 55% on the side glass. I came across a post by GTSDDS where he used an Xpel product with a Grey tint but I’m still pondering the rear window.

Thanks
The UVA/B is very important and like said in this thread, heat rejection. I used Suntek tint as well as PPF. Highly recommended and I am pleased with the results.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:06 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

I did 72% on my front, 65% on the sides, and 50% on the rear.

Note that Premier is at least twice as expensive as other IR tint places, but I've heard good things about their Spectra Photosync. They are usually 2 months or so booked out, too, so be ready for that. Their quality of work is about average, from my direct experience. On my 911, I used a place in Roseville called Tint Pros who are much less expensive and they do flawless work (based on about a half dozen cars I've sent to them).

Quick Reply: Window tint in SF Bay Area