Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS vs 718 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 05:53 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

My thought is if you want more dynamic handling, keep the 718. If you want more straight line power, get the 991 2.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
My thought is if you want more dynamic handling, keep the 718. If you want more straight line power, get the 991 2.
The Carrera T is priced $16,700 less than original MSRP and the offer on my 718 is about $16,500 less than I paid. The Carrera I am looking at has rear axle steering and the 7 speed manual among other options. I would hope the driving dynamics are as satisfying as the 718.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Guaji
I would hope the driving dynamics are as satisfying as the 718.
I’m a little confused. Thought you already test drove the T. It sounds like you have easy access to both cars so the obvious answer is try them side by side and see if you like the T as much. Personally, I would NEVER go for the lightweight glass because I want a rear window defroster...yes, I drive my car in the rain and fog. Oops just added back much of my weight savings..LOL. ( sorry, it was just too easy to make fun)

Get the T. If you already have it local, your price and the options you want sounds like an easy decision. I would have to buy new to get what I want. It’s tough for me to find my options used/CPO and I’m getting too old and picky to settle for something else. In the end a used car is missing $8k of options I want and has $8k of options I don’t care about. I miss the old days before I spent too much time on the configurator.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone

I’m a little confused. Thought you already test drove the T. It sounds like you have easy access to both cars so the obvious answer is try them side by side and see if you like the T as much. Personally, I would NEVER go for the lightweight glass because I want a rear window defroster...yes, I drive my car in the rain and fog. Oops just added back much of my weight savings..LOL. ( sorry, it was just too easy to make fun)

Get the T. If you already have it local, your price and the options you want sounds like an easy decision. I would have to buy new to get what I want. It’s tough for me to find my options used/CPO and I’m getting too old and picky to settle for something else. In the end a used car is missing $8k of options I want and has $8k of options I don’t care about. I miss the old days before I spent too much time on the configurator.

I am traveling for work, so I just stopped by a dealer that I, to have a look and sit inside them. Hopefully I'll test drive one at my local dealer when I get home. In regards to the rear glass, its only like 4 pounds weight saving over normal glass, I think.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:17 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Guaji
The Carrera T is priced $16,700 less than original MSRP and the offer on my 718 is about $16,500 less than I paid. The Carrera I am looking at has rear axle steering and the 7 speed manual among other options. I would hope the driving dynamics are as satisfying as the 718.
Handling wise, hard to compete with physics. The mid-engine layout of the 718 greatly reduces the polar moment of inertia allowing it to rotate more quickly. If you get the T with rear axle steering (RWS), the RWS helps to address a lot of the issue of hanging the big heavy engine off the rear of the car. Basically the RWS prevents the pendulum action of the rear wanting to swing around while turning. The other bits of dynamic feel are are the handling, throttle response, feel of the shifter, etc. Those, just gotta drive the cars There's the sound preference too, but I grew up on turbo 4-bangers, so I have no issues with the way the 718 sounds.

A little other bit of consideration is that you have to get use to the fatter rear of the 991.2 GTS, especially in auto-x. Might take a little bit of adjustment to not knock over cones until you get use to the wider rear.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS vs 718 GTS