Sponsored by:

Power folding side view mirrors...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:37 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Here's my 2018 GTS with body color lower section. It's the default, you don't have to select an option to get it. Like I said, you have to go out of your way to select the option to have it painted black.

That 's not the standard sport design mirror, which is where the confusion arises. The option on the GTS to have the SD mirrors lower painted body color does not exist by itself. You need the folding mirrors for that. If you ordered the carbon fiber top, then it defaults to the body color lower. There is no option to get the whole mirror assembly body color, other than with folding mirrors. Thanks Porsche for making this so easy to understand.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:04 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Didn't have them on my first 991.2, but ordered them on my second one. Love them. They do make a difference in a garage (or parking garage), and just seem "polite"—no bad thing for a new Porsche when it's parked.

Do prefer the optics of the Sport Design mirrors (depending on how they're painted), but I felt the power mirrors were a better choice for me.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:33 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
For what reason would an owner not want this option?
I bought the sport design mirror assemblies, had them painted and paid to have them assembled and installed. A lot of expense just to get rid of the power folders that came on my GTS. Did not like seeing them folded or care for their looks in general. That's my reason FWIW.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:08 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed that the SD mirrors look better but without power folding, wouldn't go for them. Of course after checking them out closely, it is obvious why the folding action of the SD mirrors can only be accomplished manually.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:16 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
That 's not the standard sport design mirror, which is where the confusion arises. The option on the GTS to have the SD mirrors lower painted body color does not exist by itself. You need the folding mirrors for that. If you ordered the carbon fiber top, then it defaults to the body color lower. There is no option to get the whole mirror assembly body color, other than with folding mirrors. Thanks Porsche for making this so easy to understand.
Well, maybe not true... when this GTS was ordered it very well could have been that Porsche DID offer the SD mirrors in body color, and the only option offered on the configuator was lower arm in black. You'd have to go back to the configurator for each year to see the differences, and yes, Porsche AG actually DOES change their configurator app to do stuff like this..... Options come-and-go, appear then disappear, and so on. And on top of this point, you can find differences in equipment and options for each country or geography where there is a configurator! So you can only make the claim for current configurator model year, not all prior.... Just sayin.....
Old 11-20-2018, 12:33 PM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

The 15 GTS came with all matching painted SD mirrors unless you select the Folding option. The 16 GTS came with the lowers in flat black unless you opted for High Gloss Black or Folding.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I wanted the lowers painted to match on my 2019 GTS but as discussed here that was not an option on the configurator; however, I knew I could get them as a CXX option so I had my SA look into it: $1400 to have the lower sections painted to match the exterior. My my SA said I should pass since the Black looks good and if I changed my mind I could get them painted for less and as of right now I like them Black.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:25 AM
GingerPowered
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I suspect this debate is already raging, but: any moans, groans, or questions about the 992 side mirrors? I have an uneducated opinion and suspect I should listen to all arguments, one way or the other.

That said, I found this thread because I was searching for a way to have SD mirrors that have elec fold... *kicks rocks; walks away*

GPd
Old 05-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Check the 992 Forum, where I suspect they are debating just about everything.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Does anyone know if a carbon fiber shell is available for a power folding mirror? I wonder if it uses the same shell as the standard mirror.

Quick Reply: Power folding side view mirrors...