Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power folding side view mirrors...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 12:47 AM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Power folding side view mirrors...

For some reason my GTS did not come with power folding side view mirrors. I would like to know why this would not be a standard option, especially when it is a zero charge option. For what reason would an owner not want this option? Thanks in advance por patience and opinions.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:04 AM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

My guess is most people would rather have the Sport Design mirror. The power-folding option is only available on the base mirror.

Last edited by SeymourButts; 11-19-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:59 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

The sport design mirror is a standard feature on the GTS. One of the "free" upgrades on the GTS that you do not get with a non-GTS Carrera. You can opt for the power folding mirrors if you prefer with the GTS. That is what I did. I wanted that feature because I live in LA and I wanted to mitigate my risk for damage to the mirrors. I think the sport design mirrors look better but I do like the functionality of the power folding mirrors. Will be interesting to see if the 992 has the sport design mirrors. None of the mules have had them. All the mules look like they have power folding mirrors.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I had folding mirrors on my first 991.1S but I never used them. They don't really stick out that far to begin with and when they are folded, they don't fold back very much. So I was happy with the sport design mirror on the GTS.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:30 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The sport design mirrors look a million times better, and they don't stick out very far so you don't really need them to power fold IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (02-09-2021)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:31 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I ordered the folding mirrors for the GTS, because I actually use the folding feature. Getting my GMC SUV & the 9111 both in the garage is a bit of a tight fit. I have to scoot the 911 over pretty close to the garage door edge, and it just makes it easier entering and exiting with that folding feature security blanket. It also helps a little when opening the SUV door, and not nicking the mirror on the 911. Would it fit w/o the folding feature? Sure it would, but it helps a little.

That leads to the real reason I didn't order the sport mirrors. There was no option to get the lower section of the mirrors painted in body color, and there was that option on the folding mirrors. I can't stand the black lowers on the sport mirrors (or any side mirrors actually), and just personally feel it looks cheap.
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (07-07-2021)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:39 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Even sport design mirrors fold (more like rotate up and slightly in) manually. But dont really save much space.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

OP has second thoughts about the trade in now because no folding mirrors ? J/K
Old 11-19-2018, 02:14 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
That leads to the real reason I didn't order the sport mirrors. There was no option to get the lower section of the mirrors painted in body color, and there was that option on the folding mirrors. I can't stand the black lowers on the sport mirrors (or any side mirrors actually), and just personally feel it looks cheap.
What? The lowers on my sport mirrors on my GTS are body color. Having them painted black is an option (for $$$).
Old 11-19-2018, 02:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I ordered the folding mirrors for the GTS, because I actually use the folding feature. Getting my GMC SUV & the 9111 both in the garage is a bit of a tight fit. I have to scoot the 911 over pretty close to the garage door edge, and it just makes it easier entering and exiting with that folding feature security blanket. It also helps a little when opening the SUV door, and not nicking the mirror on the 911. Would it fit w/o the folding feature? Sure it would, but it helps a little.

I've got the power folding mirrors on my Turbo S, and the lower section is painted body color. I think they look nice and I like the folding function, but I agree the comments above about the Sport Design mirrors looking better.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
What? The lowers on my sport mirrors on my GTS are body color. Having them painted black is an option (for $$$).

Porsche begs to differ, at least on my 2018 GTS, as well as the 2019 GTS on the configurator.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:09 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Porsche begs to differ, at least on my 2018 GTS, as well as the 2019 GTS on the configurator.

Here's my 2018 GTS with body color lower section. It's the default, you don't have to select an option to get it. Like I said, you have to go out of your way to select the option to have it painted black.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:26 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

It's possible that with the 2019 GTS Configurator that Porsche has changed the defaults / options...

If you look at the configurator starting with the GTS model you will NOT get an option to have the exterior Sport Design Mirrors painted body color, and they default to black. You can only choose the painted lower option as the OP has shown above if you opt for the Standard/Folding Mirrors. In previous years, the SD mirrors on the GTS defaulted to body color. Appears that with 2019 the GTS comes with SD mirrors with black lowers.

Also, if you start the configurator with a 911 S you DO get the option to have the SD mirror lowers painted to match... Also, just noticed that if you select the SD package on a non-GTS car, the package does NOT come with the SD mirrors! I just figured you would get the SD mirrors with the front/rear SD bits. But you have to choose the SD mirrors separately as an additional option! Then you will be able to select to have painted to match. Oy vey that is complicated!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:39 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by plenum
It's possible that with the 2019 GTS Configurator that Porsche has changed the defaults / options...

If you look at the configurator starting with the GTS model you will NOT get an option to have the exterior Sport Design Mirrors painted body color, and they default to black. You can only choose the painted lower option as the OP has shown above if you opt for the Standard/Folding Mirrors. In previous years, the SD mirrors on the GTS defaulted to body color. Appears that with 2019 the GTS comes with SD mirrors with black lowers.
That's interesting, I didn't know they changed it. Mine is a 2018 so it must be a recent change. On my 2018 GT3 body color was also the default, I chose to paint those black with carbon fiber uppers, looks great.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:52 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
That's interesting, I didn't know they changed it. Mine is a 2018 so it must be a recent change. On my 2018 GT3 body color was also the default, I chose to paint those black with carbon fiber uppers, looks great.
Yeah, now on the GT3 as of 2019 configurator (well, US as I haven't checked other countries) there is no option to paint lowers in body color. The confusing part is that you CAN choose to paint the lower part in Gloss Black.... for US $360. I am only assuming the cars default with lower flat black plastic on the mirror as that is what is shown in the configurator -- maybe that is just wrong and the actual default is body color??? Anyone order a '19 GT3 that could confirm?

Quick Reply: Power folding side view mirrors...