Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera Cobb Tuning issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Ryan52589
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Hmmm..... what kind of fuel do you use? Two ways I can think of to kill cats: contaminated fuel(lead), or too much heat. If you were just doing street driving, I would find it hard to believe it was heat. A quick pull here and there shouldn't really got too toasty. Sustained full throttle on a road course could kill a cat quickly if the EGTs are too high.

very strange indeed. No leaded fuel. Always use 93 oct Mobil every time. Car has never been on the track. I’m not sure what could cause this. Maybe a bad load of fuel?
Old 02-03-2019, 06:43 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan52589
very strange indeed. No leaded fuel. Always use 93 oct Mobil every time. Car has never been on the track. I’m not sure what could cause this. Maybe a bad load of fuel?
I found a good simple link with possible failure modes.
http://www.bobsmuffler.com/reasons_f...er_failure.htm

I looked at the datalogs you posted and it's certainly not too much fuel (dumping fuel into the exhaust) as your A/F was definitely close to stoich. That could pose a 'too much heat' problem from being relatively lean if you spending a lot of continuous time at full throttle such as on a road course. But a pull here and there, even a quarter mile, I don't think is long enough to create sufficient heat to damage the cat. So..... maybe too much oil? I've seen a couple pictures of the turbo inlets on the 991.2s with lots of oil in them. So maybe sucking in too much oil through the turbos and it's going out the exhaust and clogging the cat? Vektor Performance is working on an air-oil separator to address the issue of oil getting sucked into the turbos through the PVC system. But anyway, that's just a hypothesis on a potential cause. If you can get some detailed pictures of the stock cats, it may help identify the failure mode.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Are those logs WOT?

I see it going rich up top. Cats causing a restriction makes sense; impeded combustion as the back pressure builds up.

Glad to hear this is worked out! Might go visit AMS now and get mine done as well. Perfect excuse for bypasses lol.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:56 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Aatish
Are those logs WOT?

I see it going rich up top. Cats causing a restriction makes sense; impeded combustion as the back pressure builds up.

Glad to hear this is worked out! Might go visit AMS now and get mine done as well. Perfect excuse for bypasses lol.
Log 1 goes rich, with A/F dropping to around 13.3 which does look normal for this car. Stock tune I take it. Log 3 has a lot of part throttle with one a short segment of WOT from the looks of it. Assuming 81% pedal position is WOT.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:20 AM
Ryan52589
Instructor

Thank you for the info on catalytic converters, good read!

log 1 is stage 1 93 oct and log 2 is stage 0 both at WOT

I believe I posted a few photos of all the oil inside the passenger side turbo housing so it could have definitely been an oil clogged cat.

heres a few photos of the cats...
Old 02-04-2019, 01:30 AM
Ryan52589
Instructor

Old 02-04-2019, 10:53 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Log 1 goes rich, with A/F dropping to around 13.3 which does look normal for this car. Stock tune I take it. Log 3 has a lot of part throttle with one a short segment of WOT from the looks of it. Assuming 81% pedal position is WOT.
I don't think the stock map would go rich like that; should stay stoichiometric throught out the range for emissions purposes.

Log 1 is the tune file it appears from Ryan's comments. The I'm seeing the AFRs go rich gradually and then level off as the engine speed rises. Makes sense; cats are nearing their max flow. That's increasing the back pressure in exhaust, not allowing for complete expulsion of the gasses. Not ideal combustion scenario, so the "sand bagging" effect is expected.

From my experience with turbo cars, Cats always end up being bottle necks. Sports cats help, but still will cause some impeding of flow as you increase the amount of fuel and air being burnt. If you're looking to take advantage of a tune, catless is the way to go. No restriction, free flow.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:55 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Catless= Noisy, Smelly, Wont pass Emissions. Also will throw a check engine light without O2 sensors and/or tune to override error.

At some point you have to make concessions on a car that is driven and not raced on a track.
Some people are OK with cat bypass pipes but, the gains aren't worth the trade off to me.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ryan52589
(Photos of CATs)
The cells look alright.

Honestly, I remember a similar situation with my BMW a couple years ago. I was running catless downpipe and stage 2 tune, but needed to pass emissions for registration. I swapped back my stock, catted down pipe to get the emissions system ready for testing. While I had it in, I did some pulls and logs and found the power to be dramatically reduced up top in the rev-range. Lasted about a week before I put the downpipe back in.

Good times...good times...
Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Actually wait. I have a video of me in Mexico with one of my friends. We had the same setup except I was catted and he was catless. Let me see if I can pull the link.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Camera car is catted. Right lane is catless. We are both Stage 2 tune and same cars.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:08 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I can't see how this was an issue of exceeding the cat design flow. The same cats are used on the GTS...
Old 02-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I can't see how this was an issue of exceeding the cat design flow. The same cats are used on the GTS...
Idk about that. Looking at the part numbers for the CATs, there appear to be 3 types of CATs.

400, 400X, 400A, and 400 AX for left
450, 450X, 450A, and 450AX for right

This is on the US spec cars. I'm assuming these CATs correspond to the trims and then PSE or non PSE. My guess would be the 4** and 4**X is for T, C, CS cars. The 4**A and 4**AX for the GTS versions.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:54 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Aatish
Idk about that. Looking at the part numbers for the CATs, there appear to be 3 types of CATs.

400, 400X, 400A, and 400 AX for left
450, 450X, 450A, and 450AX for right

This is on the US spec cars. I'm assuming these CATs correspond to the trims and then PSE or non PSE. My guess would be the 4** and 4**X is for T, C, CS cars. The 4**A and 4**AX for the GTS versions.
Well, there's base exhaust, base exhaust with valves, and PSE with valves. I would have thought the PSE and non-PSE exhaust, both with valves, would use the same cat.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Well, there's base exhaust, base exhaust with valves, and PSE with valves. I would have thought the PSE and non-PSE exhaust, both with valves, would use the same cat.

There's no base exhaust with valves...to my knowledge at least.

Just base (aka non-PSE) and PSE. That's the 2 types of constructions (PSE has the valve and the extra plumbing).

The Fabspeed and Soul Cats work with C/T/S/GTS; the type depends on the exhaust installed (Non-pse or PSE).
Going off the part numbers; there's 4 types of CATs. I'd assume that the overall structure is the same, but I'm expecting the internal cell structure of the catalyst differs between the trim/power levels.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera Cobb Tuning issue