Sponsored by:

Are these CPO options worthy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:04 AM
PorscheK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Are these CPO options worthy?

Will you buy any of these for a 2017 CPO with 9k miles on it?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:53 AM
Hokidachi
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I would buy the Tire & Wheel Plan only provided that the price is not too inflated... I paid $2100 for 5 years coverage.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:57 AM
PorscheK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokidachi
I would buy the Tire & Wheel Plan provided that the price is not too inflated...
The first quote for tire and wheel only is $2070...what is a good price?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:58 AM
Hokidachi
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m sure some got a lower price, I ended up paying $2100 for 5 years coverage.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:56 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

I self insure. I have a separate account where I stash money each month for car madness. Put $100 to $150 a month away and use it when you need it.
I'm not a big fan of the dealer offered incentives as they always cost more. I've had 13 Pcars and only 1 wheel that need repair due to curbing. And that was an aftermarket wheel that would not have been covered. If I bought dealer wheel insurance on all those cars I'd shoot myself.

Last edited by Penn4S; 11-14-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:21 AM
stanleymorton
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had Cilajet on a BMW and its not worth it. I still don't see a difference in the car 5yrs later compared to others that didn't get it. I wouldn't do it again. As for the tire/wheel package. I did get that knowing my spouse would be driving it a lot in DC. So it paid for itself on several occasions. If I knew that I would be driving the car myself on limited mileage in better suited driving surfaces I wouldn't get that either. The only thing on the list I would probably get is the Protective Film. Also, on the hood I would cover the entire hood not just half.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Not even close to worthy.

Unless you are in an area prone to wheel damage (heavy winter damage to roads for example) or aren't confident you can park your car without curbing the wheels, NO. Your insurance will already help with windshield replacement costs in the less-than-likely case it is needed (although I've had to have it done on my prior car).

There are much better aftermarket alternatives for the other things you list, look at the threads here on PPF. Don't get a PPF that isn't one of the top-tier brands.

My wife opted to pay Lexus for their dealer-applied paint and interior protection. I've seen no benefit from it, actually it was a negative benefit on the "ceramic coat" since it was misapplied and looked worse than the original paint and parts of it had to be buffed off. If you want any of this stuff let a company whose business depends upon doing it right do it for you instead of a dealer just chasing a few quick extra bucks on their bottom line.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:50 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I would pass on all the coatings and PPF from the dealer. If you want to do that (and I would advise you do get PPF) go to someone who really knows what they are doing. That is unlikely to be (what looks like) a Merc dealer selling a 911.

The Tire/dent coverage may be worth it. $2k isn't horrible and you can possibly negotiate that down.

I used to be a no-way, never guy with that but recently took it on both mine and my wifes BMW. Both have paid for themselves within 12 months on crappy north east pothole infested roads. I had two new rims and two new tires within a few months of taking delivery, and BMW rims are not cheap!

Depends where you are, how many miles you plan to drive and what your typical driving conditions are.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:52 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't pay for any of that. Go to a professional detailer that knows what he's doing. I'd personally skip the wheel/tire warranty. I've gotten it in the past and I've always felt like it's a waste of money.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:53 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I buy the tire and wheel coverage because if I get tires from Discount Tire, they take a week to come in. The dealer sells them for about the same price, but with no road hazard, so you're screwed if you blow a tire, which has happened to me. With the insurance, I get tires from the dealer, I get a loaner car while they're being installed and I don't have to worry about road hazards.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:54 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i would pass on all of them, this is where a lotta profit is made from the dealership (esp if they didnt gain much from the deal itself)

Tires are $300 or so a pop. (and if you buy from tire rack, is now free shipping and comes with road haz) Dent removal runs about $150-200 per panel. So the only high ticket item would be the windshield (OEM of course) which is about $1200-$1500
Old 11-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
i would pass on all of them, this is where a lotta profit is made from the dealership (esp if they didnt gain much from the deal itself)

Tires are $300 or so a pop. (and if you buy from tire rack, is now free shipping and comes with road haz) Dent removal runs about $150-200 per panel. So the only high ticket item would be the windshield (OEM of course) which is about $1200-$1500
I pick up my new C2GTS and I’m considering the wheel and tire package as my spouse will also drive the car 1day/week. Also I can’t deny the fact that I have Kerbed a wheel or two in the past. I stuck with the CL wheels and I know there pricey so it would give me peace of mind to have the insurance.

However as a sanity check....

1) Has anyone ever damaged a CL to the point it needed replacement?
2) Like to hear from anyone who has had a wheel OEM replaced, was it a smooth process?
3) same question above for Kerb rash
3) If I decline the insurance how much should I expect to pay to refurb a CL for some typical kerb rash? I understand the inconvenience factor of having to handle the whole process but want to get a price check on wheel repair

My dealer pricing was for a maximum of 7 events during the lifetime, $2140 / 36mths and it was pretty much $180/yr for additional years.

The dealer pushed this item the most but wouldn’t budge on pricing.

The only other item was the extended warranty, $8K 10yr/100,000 and would discount 15%. How does this compare and does anyone take this?

thanks

Old 11-14-2018, 01:09 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

I say package 2 & 3 are crap, better to go to a detailer and get work like this done.

Regarding package 1 - what does dent and key involve?
I have tire and windshield protection from dealer, first price was 2600 and after priced was reduced to $1700 I did buy it. So a lot of wiggle room here. But this package may include more, so wonder what dent and key involves. Lesson is, haggle haggle haggle on these packages.

I used my tire and windshield after screw in tire, cost me $50 deductable vs 500 for new tire only after 2000 miles.

Last edited by tgavem; 11-14-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Hard freaking pass on any of this **** sold by a dealer. It's pure profit and marked up to a fair-thee-well.

The only one I ever consider is tire & wheel, and that's after negotiating. Other than that NO.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:21 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

it seems all inflated hype except for clear bra and they dont tell you what pieces they are giving you. I would have a real bra set put on by a good installer. The insured repair items will all be dis claimed out when you turn in a claim for them.

Quick Reply: Are these CPO options worthy?