Sponsored by:

Busted 100 in 45 zone

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:52 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
There is always at least one in a crowd. If I started telling stories about how fast I have gone in specific vehicles over the years it would bring chills to your spine - just did to mine. I have mellowed out over the years though but I still enjoy a 150+ burst every so often (and I am not talking on a track).
The average driver in the US is not a good driver, period. It is way too easy to get a license here and there are virtually no training requirements, and the fines for not being a good driver are not enough to deter someone from being distracted, nor are there laws to help prevent distraction. One look at the requirements for driving in most European countries will explain it.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:21 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
No, just someone that doesn't drive 100 in a 45 zone, or assume that everyone else has or does. If you do, then congratulations for being irresponsible and risking other's lives.
Obviously, i don't know you but you do seem like the type who sees things as "black or white". I'm fairly certain that I have driven over 100 in a 45 zone while out in the deserts of California, Nevada and/or Arizona. I didn't think it was irresponsible either. Straight roads, no intersections, signs of life, and visibility of, literally, 20 miles minimum and, 45 MPH posted speed limits. Although probably leftover from the 1930's or the last time someone actually drove down these roads. Sadly, it was not particularly thrilling as there was little sense of speed so I didn't cruise very long at this speed but I think I still stayed above 75 - enough for jail time in Virgina.

I'm pretty sure that if I actually drove at, or under the posted speed, I would have fell asleep at the wheel, eventually drove into a ditch, knocked myself unconscious, and died of heat stroke. Driving at, or below the limit would've been way more dangerous. I'm really not kidding. Those who have actually driven through some of these barren roads know exactly what I'm talking about. Do you think this was irresponsible?
Old 11-10-2018, 11:30 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Anything over 80 in Virginia - or anything more than 20 over - will land you in jail here.
Just one more of the DOZENS of reasons I’m glad I escaped The People’s Republic of NOVA for TX!

And don’t even ask me about property taxes. You will literally want to kill me...

ß
Old 11-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I did 155 in my BMW on Rt 15 and in an Audi on the autobahn, but oddly, haven’t had the 911 over 110. For some reason I am not compelled to drive that fast in this car. I have no solid rationale for the why.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:52 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 792 Posts

No, just someone that doesn't drive 100 in a 45 zone, or assume that everyone else has or does. If you do, then congratulations for being irresponsible and risking other's lives.
ok buddy. Have you ever in your life gone over 100mph on a public road?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:01 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
Obviously, i don't know you but you do seem like the type who sees things as "black or white". I'm fairly certain that I have driven over 100 in a 45 zone while out in the deserts of California, Nevada and/or Arizona. I didn't think it was irresponsible either. Straight roads, no intersections, signs of life, and visibility of, literally, 20 miles minimum and, 45 MPH posted speed limits. Although probably leftover from the 1930's or the last time someone actually drove down these roads. Sadly, it was not particularly thrilling as there was little sense of speed so I didn't cruise very long at this speed but I think I still stayed above 75 - enough for jail time in Virgina.

I'm pretty sure that if I actually drove at, or under the posted speed, I would have fell asleep at the wheel, eventually drove into a ditch, knocked myself unconscious, and died of heat stroke. Driving at, or below the limit would've been way more dangerous. I'm really not kidding. Those who have actually driven through some of these barren roads know exactly what I'm talking about. Do you think this was irresponsible?
So, how did you get from driving 100 in a 45 zone in Pennsylvania to 100 in a 45 somewhere in the middle of the desert? My initial statement was in response to a poster stating it was safe to assume that we have all done what Brown was allegedly accused of. I have no idea if he was driving 100 in a 45 or not. I was just saying it was not SAFE TO ASSUME that we have all driven 100 in a zone that was posted as 45.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 11-10-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:23 PM
sracer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In high school...long ago...we had a standing equation that u had to go 2X the posted limit less 10. No one was killed.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:43 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
The obsession with "speeding" and the enforcement of speed limits in the US has always been mind-boggling to me. You must think people are dying like flies out on the autobahn in Germany.
The Autobahn is different because everyone is consciously engaged in a cooperative game. The passing lane is for passing and then you immediately get the **** out of the way. That concept is incomprehensible for American drivers.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:51 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

The average driver in the US is not a good driver, period. It is way too easy to get a license here and there are virtually no training requirements, and the fines for not being a good driver are not enough to deter someone from being distracted, nor are there laws to help prevent distraction. One look at the requirements for driving in most European countries will explain it.
Yep. True words.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:53 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
It's a similar/parallel paradigm to the whole healthcare/pharma scam in my mind.
Well this is for sure taking the topic waaaaay off base. But.......what??
Old 11-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
One time I got pulled over for 155 in a 55. I roll down the window, and looked down at the little LEO. He says to me, "I am not Happy". So I said to him, "Then which one are you, Grumpy or Sneezy?". That's when the fight broke out.
Meow

Old 11-10-2018, 04:17 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

So, how did you get from driving 100 in a 45 zone in Pennsylvania to 100 in a 45 somewhere in the middle of the desert? My initial statement was in response to a poster stating it was safe to assume that we have all done what Brown was allegedly accused of. I have no idea if he was driving 100 in a 45 or not. I was just saying it was not SAFE TO ASSUME that we have all driven 100 in a zone that was posted as 45.
Actually, there was a little more to it than that but I now do get what you are saying. As this is a Porsche 911 forum, I can say that everyone I know here, and on a few others, has in fact done this at one time or other. I'm talking middle of nowhere though. Except for this tool in a BMW Z3 that we immediately banished (a two-lane road, high speed blind curve pass is never cool). He then took off and hid for the rest of the trip. If I ever see him again...

Quick Reply: Busted 100 in 45 zone