Sponsored by:

2016/vs/2018 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 02:09 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I have a 991.2 GTS cab (tuned) and a 991.2 GT3, and I don't think my GTS would have any problem hanging with the GT3. It's a really fast car with a ton of torque. In most driving situations the GTS will probably be faster...
If you say so. I know my TTS is faster than GT3 ...on the street, however GT3 is sure faster than TTS on the track.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
To me 991.1 GTS is a pinnacle of the great NA/MT combo. When the time came for me to move away from this combo, and as I could not get an allocation for a gt3T, I chose a TTS.
991.2 GTS is a great machine for sure, but if go turbo, why not Turbo? Just my way of thinking. And you can get a 2014-2015 TTS for less than a 50K delta, if instead of trading in you would go sell your GTS.
Just be sure you won't regret selling it, as I still miss mine
One reason: You can get a manual in a GTS
Old 11-10-2018, 12:55 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Also, you can get RWD. And alcantara etc. It's just a little lighter, nimbler, and sportier by default than the TTS.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Also, you can get RWD. And alcantara etc. It's just a little lighter, nimbler, and sportier by default than the TTS.
Yes and yes
GTS is perhaps the best package out there with majority of the options you want in the bundle w/o being overcomplicated / overpriced.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:49 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS

Also, if you don't need the rear seats 991.1 GT3s are dropping in price.
They are? I bought my CPO high-optioned 2016 GT3 about a year ago for $140. I think it is still worth that.

But you do bring up a great a point by adding the GT3 as an alternative. I spent a year or so cross-shopping various 911s to replace my F430. Much to my dealer's frustration I test drove the '16 base, S and GTS as well as '15 TT and TTS. I so wanted to love the NA cars but they just felt slow unless I was really high in RPM range but that makes it impossible to have fun, short acceleration bursts in town without looking and sounding like a douche. I really didn't want to perpetuate the Porsche stereotype.

Now that I mention sound, the NA cars just didn't stir me like my Ferrari did - especially my F355 (best sound ever!). The TT and TTS are rocket sleds but a 5 second burst in town would most likely result in my wife bailing me out of jail. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in acceleration between those two but the PCCBs on the S, plus that stupid S on the rear appealled to my vanity enough to make that my front-runner, but the TTS still didn't make me want to swap my Ferrari for it.

A few months went by so I went to the '17 and up cars. Base, S, and GTS. I actually loved all of them. The base Carrera is a magnificent car. The extra torque down low compared to the NAs made it feel l always ike I was driving a poweful car - not just when I was beating on it. If my budget was somewhat limited there would be one in my garage now. I would've bought it on the spot, a silver M7, but I really dislike silver cars. It wouldn't replace my Ferrari, it would be a totally impractical addition. Point is, great car. The S surprisingly felt very close in acceleration to the TT but at the time was within 10K of a CPO TTS but with more depreciation pending.

Back to the '17 GTS. I was very surprised but I liked it way more than the TT cars. Point and shoot, can't drive it slow. It begs to go fast and corner. But that was the problem, I felt compelled to beat on it. All the time. Not good for public safety.

Sorry for the novel but here is the conclusion. My dealer called and said that they just got in a leftover '16 GT3, in red, with its huge spoiler. Not subtle so more than a little out of my comfort zone. But then I drove it. Holy crap! First time since I bought my first car, a 66 Corvette, that I got goose bumps. The clanking of the tranny, the unholy scream of its 9000 RPM shifts, the huge rear spoiler in the rearview mirror, four-wheel steering, just wow. Even at low speeds it felt special without having to beat on it. But when you did... I bought it on the spot.

So, if you love your NA GTS but want something (a lot) more, consider a GT3.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Yes, GT3 is a great option. To me I like NA with MT. I can live with a PDK in a Turbo, but not in NA car. And I do not like the GT3 wing. It limits me to GT3T. So, if opportunity comes..
Also from OP's GTS mileage it seems like he is driving his Porsche. I do drive mine too. My TTS is my DD. GT3 would not be so easy to live with as a DD car.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:40 PM
KM1959
Racer

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
​​​​​​ GT3 would not be so easy to live with as a DD car.
Why?

I'll agree that it is not as quiet as the TT (but really not much louder), and it has way more luggage and interior space than a TT. Granted it doesn't have a back seat but how often do you use your TT's back seat for pasengers? The suspension is stiffer than the TT's but worlds better than the 996 Turbo I had and much more balanced than the F430's.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:49 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KM1959
Why?

I'll agree that it is not as quiet as the TT (but really not much louder), and it has way more luggage and interior space than a TT. Granted it doesn't have a back seat but how often do you use your TT's back seat for pasengers? The suspension is stiffer than the TT's but worlds better than the 996 Turbo I had and much more balanced than the F430's.
Agreed. My 991.1 and 991.2 GT3s are really comfortable and easy to live with. You do need a front lift, the ride height is the only real complication.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:01 PM
KM1959
Racer

Agreed. My 991.1 and 991.2 GT3s are really comfortable and easy to live with. You do need a front lift, the ride height is the only real complication.
Nice! Yes, there is that. Have people actually ordered GT3's without the lift? Even dedicated track cars need them to get on trailers and lifts easily.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:14 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

They are? I bought my CPO high-optioned 2016 GT3 about a year ago for $140. I think it is still worth that.

But you do bring up a great a point by adding the GT3 as an alternative. I spent a year or so cross-shopping various 911s to replace my F430. Much to my dealer's frustration I test drove the '16 base, S and GTS as well as '15 TT and TTS. I so wanted to love the NA cars but they just felt slow unless I was really high in RPM range but that makes it impossible to have fun, short acceleration bursts in town without looking and sounding like a douche. I really didn't want to perpetuate the Porsche stereotype.

Now that I mention sound, the NA cars just didn't stir me like my Ferrari did - especially my F355 (best sound ever!). The TT and TTS are rocket sleds but a 5 second burst in town would most likely result in my wife bailing me out of jail. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in acceleration between those two but the PCCBs on the S, plus that stupid S on the rear appealled to my vanity enough to make that my front-runner, but the TTS still didn't make me want to swap my Ferrari for it.

A few months went by so I went to the '17 and up cars. Base, S, and GTS. I actually loved all of them. The base Carrera is a magnificent car. The extra torque down low compared to the NAs made it feel l always ike I was driving a poweful car - not just when I was beating on it. If my budget was somewhat limited there would be one in my garage now. I would've bought it on the spot, a silver M7, but I really dislike silver cars. It wouldn't replace my Ferrari, it would be a totally impractical addition. Point is, great car. The S surprisingly felt very close in acceleration to the TT but at the time was within 10K of a CPO TTS but with more depreciation pending.

Back to the '17 GTS. I was very surprised but I liked it way more than the TT cars. Point and shoot, can't drive it slow. It begs to go fast and corner. But that was the problem, I felt compelled to beat on it. All the time. Not good for public safety.

Sorry for the novel but here is the conclusion. My dealer called and said that they just got in a leftover '16 GT3, in red, with its huge spoiler. Not subtle so more than a little out of my comfort zone. But then I drove it. Holy crap! First time since I bought my first car, a 66 Corvette, that I got goose bumps. The clanking of the tranny, the unholy scream of its 9000 RPM shifts, the huge rear spoiler in the rearview mirror, four-wheel steering, just wow. Even at low speeds it felt special without having to beat on it. But when you did... I bought it on the spot.

So, if you love your NA GTS but want something (a lot) more, consider a GT3.
Just test drove a 2015 GT3 with a asking price of $127k CPO too.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:24 PM
KM1959
Racer

Just test drove a 2015 GT3 with a asking price of $127k CPO too.

Nice! What did you think?
Old 11-10-2018, 04:28 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Why?

Oh, I agree. FAL is a must, like reacher said, but if I locate a gt3t I like and decided to get rid of my TTS (unlikely), I would be DD gt3 with no issues.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:38 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Nice! Yes, there is that. Have people actually ordered GT3's without the lift? Even dedicated track cars need them to get on trailers and lifts easily.
I have seen them without it, which is insanity if you ask me. It's definitely a must have.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:42 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice! What did you think?
It’s much more aggressive than my GTS for sure. A lot louder in the cabin, suspension is a lot stiffer. I liked it if I was tracking more often which is what the GT3 is made to do. I should have driven it more in standard mode instead of PDK Sport.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:19 PM
KM1959
Racer

It’s much more aggressive than my GTS for sure. A lot louder in the cabin, suspension is a lot stiffer. I liked it if I was tracking more often which is what the GT3 is made to do. I should have driven it more in standard mode instead of PDK Sport.
Agreed, you should try that. I warm the car up in standard mode and then switch to Sport once the road opens up. The car goes from a Buick to a Monster. I only turn off all the electronics (ESC Off) on a track where it can be downright violent (think: pissed off monster).

Quick Reply: 2016/vs/2018 GTS