Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: GT Silver or chalk
GT Silver
51.64%
Chalk
48.36%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Decisions, decisions, GT Silver or Chalk?? How to chose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Good for you, and you will not regret it.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:00 AM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

Chalk all the way. There are a zillion silver cars out there. As the OP said, Chalk is unique without being overly flashy, and it's wonderful in person. When my wife and I saw the new Chalk TTS in our dealer's showroom in May, we immediately decided to trade in our one-year-old TTS (night blue metallic) because we fell in love with the Chalk. It looked so good we took the one year depreciation hit to get it. And, I've received multiple compliments on the car's color since then.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:34 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Went to the dealer to place order for a GT Silver GT3, left dealership after ordering a chalk Turbo S with chalk/graphite blue interior. They had one with a sold sign on it at the dealership that my wife and I fell in love with. I think the GT cars look better in GT silver however.
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2018, 02:38 PM
MGC 911
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 35 Posts

I pulled the trigger on a 2019 chalk GTS that my dealer has in stock. I will be picking it up next week.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by MGC 911
I pulled the trigger on a 2019 chalk GTS that my dealer has in stock. I will be picking it up next week.
Congrats!!! Pics after delivery please.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:39 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I have Rhodium Silver, which no one seems to like or own. Got a great deal on it and it is subtle as a DD-trying to fly a little under the radar when seeing clients.

too many silver cars out there-I would choose chalk in a hot second!
You can pry my Rhodium Silver from my cold dead hands. Though Chalk and GT Silver are fine choices too.

Last edited by phefner; 11-16-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Syntax
Old 11-16-2018, 09:22 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 197 Posts

Was at the dealership this morning and they had a Chalk GTS. My order with them is for GT Silver and I am sticking with it, as of now. But that Chalk car is so, so beautiful. It has given me pause for thought. Two things factor into my decision to stick with GT Silver, for the time-being at least:

1. Chalk seems, to me, to be more likely to suffer a bit in appearance when it gets a little dirty (as compared to silver).
2. While I might just like Chalk that little bit more than GT Silver, especially due to its uniqueness, I'm not sure I like it $3500 more than GT Silver.

But... I really couldn't look away from that Chalk GTS this morning.

Oh well. I have a little time to change my mind. Car isn't due to move to V250 until 1/18.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:35 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
But... I really couldn't look away from that Chalk GTS this morning.
That's the key. Use the lens of future regret. Imagine what it'll feel like afterwards to have chosen one or the other. My guess is you won't regret spending the extra money on Chalk as much as you would regret not having the Chalk. But, you'll see how it feels between now and the day your order locks, and, I hope, go with the feeling. Oh, the angst of having an order pending....
Old 11-16-2018, 10:21 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

$3,150 for paint is ridiculous, especially for chalk-crayon-primer like color! I thought I'd never choose such an awkward-off-unusual color. I must've been crazy. That is...until I saw one in person. You'll getter a better idea of what it actually looks like when you see one on the road, at least that was the case for me. I saw a chalk GT3 and a Ferrari (similar to chalk), and I was sold. Go with what draws you the most. There are no undesirable 911s, IMO. First world problems indeed.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:36 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Decisions decisions...reminds me of how I ended up ordering a GTS. I narrowed down my choices between a 911 TT/TTS and Audi V10+. Having owned a few Audis, I was a bit "Audied out", if y'all know what I mean. I was playing with the Porsche configurator one day and spent the longest time checking out the GTS. It was something about the clean lines, low stance, and the overall package of the GTS that kept drawing me. I understand that the GTS is not quite in the same league as the TT/TTS and V10+ performance wise. I guess I'm not too fond of things sticking out on cars (spoilers, intakes, etc.). To each his own. Oh, and shaving a few grand off of my original plans made my wife happy as well. I also bribed her with a nice Chanel purse.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:54 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MGC 911

C'mon. It's impossible to decide!
Such a beautiful car!!! How does one chose between these two gorgeous colors? Silver is classic and understated, and the chalk just looks so cool depending on the light!

I just love love the Chalk. It looks so much better in person, day, afternoon, and at night. The only silver I have ever liked was on my 95 Tacoma... it was a Pewter Metallic.

I’m extremely happy with our Agate Grey Metallic w/ Agate Grey interior. I get thumbs up and compliments every time I take it out.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Sport Design Pkg...another must! Subtle but very cool, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
*991* (05-27-2020)
Old 11-17-2018, 12:07 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AviBen
That's the key. Use the lens of future regret. Imagine what it'll feel like afterwards to have chosen one or the other. My guess is you won't regret spending the extra money on Chalk as much as you would regret not having the Chalk. But, you'll see how it feels between now and the day your order locks, and, I hope, go with the feeling. Oh, the angst of having an order pending....
The upside of having an order pending is that time hasn't moved this slowly since I was a little kid.

I've never been one for having regrets over stuff, and definitely not over a first-world problem like choosing between two pretty low-key colors like this. To me, both colors are beautiful on this car. Actually, this will be my first non-black car purchase. So I could even see myself falling back on that at the last minute.

I have some time to ponder it a bit.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:11 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
$3,150 for paint is ridiculous, especially for chalk-crayon-primer like color! I thought I'd never choose such an awkward-off-unusual color. I must've been crazy. That is...until I saw one in person. You'll getter a better idea of what it actually looks like when you see one on the road, at least that was the case for me. I saw a chalk GT3 and a Ferrari (similar to chalk), and I was sold. Go with what draws you the most. There are no undesirable 911s, IMO. First world problems indeed.
I've only seen the Chalk finish on a C2S in one showroom, and then the GTS yesterday. The second dealership had way more natural light flowing into the showroom which makes Chalk look even better. Would like to see one on the road, but I imagine they are pretty rare (which could be a decision point, I suppose).
Old 11-17-2018, 01:03 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only Chalk 911 that I've seen in the wild was passing me by on the Autobahn at roughly twice my speed driving a Japanese rental back in June. Didn't get that good a look at it but even at that speed, it definitely stood out as something special. I suppose that I chose the GT Silver over Chalk because the Chalk was just a bit too unpredictable in character. Admittedly, the couple of Chalk cars that I've seen in showrooms have been beautiful cars.

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions, GT Silver or Chalk?? How to chose?