Sponsored by:

Why I think PCCB is worth the upgrade on a 911T

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 05:48 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Honestly cannot understand PAG why PCCB upgrade is not an official upgrade in reasonable cost. It is brakes....
I think because its a pretty expensive process to manufacture them
Old 12-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

My concern would not be the cost new, it would be replacement cost. Not from them actually wearing out, but from a dealer dropping a wheel on the rotor and me not finding out till later.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:07 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I will be doing mostly street driving plus a couple of DEs per year and am glad to have spec'd PCCBs. I look at it this way - if I ever did need to replace them, I could switch to some Girodiscs and new pads if the replacement costs were just too high (which they currently are). But so far, the very few PCCB horror stories I have read, all seem to come with some mitigating factors and (in many cases) were on the older PCCBs. Time will tell.

I would have given consideration to PSCBs, however, since they are 1/2 the cost ($4k vs $7.5k). Even if I had to go pay someone to professionally paint them (don't like the current color), but alas that wasn't an option.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
PCCB's are the best money you can spend on Porsche's IMO. Porsche standard brakes are great but the cost is lots of dust even going around the block. I regret not having them on my Macan. The new brakes mentioned are great but the brilliant white calipers (can get black for $1000) seem out of place and I think the cost is in the $4k range with no comments yet on tracking.
If the primary money someone gets PCCBs is brake dust don't waste your money and spend a few hundred and get a wheels-off ceramic coating. I could have spec'd them on my recent build but why waste money; I did not get what I have today by wasting it yesterday. I am not saying there are not benefits to getting them but be smart about it and don't get them for one reason. And I also like Red calipers over Yellow ones.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
PCCBs are not designed for long term track use they wear out and replacement cost from Porsche is now in the neighborhood of $26,000.
Define "long term"
Old 12-07-2018, 07:36 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

Base Carrera brakes are the Achilles heel of the T. With PCCB and rear steer, a PDK Carrera T would be an absolute troll car at a track day if you know what youre doing behind the wheel.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:15 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if they were a no cost option, I would not order PCCBs. The cost to replace them is absurd at $6,000 per rotor, and they offer no tangible benefit for track use aside from a minor reduction in unsprung weight.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

PCCB's are my only regret for not ordering on my '18 GTS. Not for the braking power, but simply the brake dust. Keeping the OEM wheels even marginally presentable with steel brakes is a royal pain in the ***. The only reason I didn't get them is I didn't like the yellow calipers on my Carmine Red car, and of course I'd be lying if I didn't say the price influenced me as well. Well, fast forward to today, and I am actually considering buying new wheels (and finish) that will hopefully make keeping them clean much easier. By the time I'm done it will likely have been cheaper to get the PCCB's, and they would still always be cleaner.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:26 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

All I can tell you is this..

Anyone who has Ceramic or have ever had ceramic will probably tell you that they would never go back to iron discs.
This has been discussed to death. There is nothing about the ceramic brakes that is worse than the iron brakes except cost. They are better in every way.

If you factor in that one day you will sell the car, then the cost will be recovered in the resale, if not completely then certainly partially.
They are the single best option I made on my GTS, not a question about it.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:52 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by phx991
Even if they were a no cost option, I would not order PCCBs. The cost to replace them is absurd at $6,000 per rotor, and they offer no tangible benefit for track use aside from a minor reduction in unsprung weight.
Not sure you could be any further from the truth with this statement. I hustled a porky Targa GTS w/ PCCB around Laguna Seca and let me tell you, they work. From a hardware standpoint, PCCB is a quantum leap ahead of the iron discs.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I've been researching options but it would be nice to have first hand information in regards to upgrading steel to carbon ceramic: are there are less expensive options than what Porsche offers? Or it would be nice to find someone to trade with, plus cash on my end of course.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
PCCB's are my only regret for not ordering on my '18 GTS. Not for the braking power, but simply the brake dust.
I immediately regretted not getting them on my GT4 (for both reasons you listed). Never again. Had them on my TTS and GT3, never going back. First box I ticked on my T.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:01 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Anyone who has them will never go without them and those who never had them seem to always be the ones to discount their value.

I would never ever buy a Porsche without ceramic brakes again, unless they came out with something better or similar for less money.
Iron discs have nothing over PCCB.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Anyone who has them will never go without them and those who never had them seem to always be the ones to discount their value.

I would never ever buy a Porsche without ceramic brakes again, unless they came out with something better or similar for less money.
Iron discs have nothing over PCCB.
my last car had carbon ceramic brake default. I would never buy a sports car without carbon ceramic brakes. I had several people say they aren’t worth the price. Not true.

If if you want to save money get a Toyota. You want an awesome sports car... make sure it has carbon ceramic brakes.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Agree 100% with the last three posts ^^^^^

Quick Reply: Why I think PCCB is worth the upgrade on a 911T