Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera S turbocharger (?) Issue need help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 12:09 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 Carrera S turbocharger (?) Issue need help..

Greetings guys..
unfortunately I'm having a problem with my -new to me- 2nd hand porsche carrera S 991.2
it's a 2016 model, bought through a Porsche center WITH porsche approved warranty program
I bought the car with just 23k kilometers and I've put on it roughly 3k kms within 3 months so we got a total of just 26k kilometers which is almost like new...

I did a quite big trip within EU of about 1400 kilometers and some daily driving for the last month
I noticed suddenly that after 150 to 200 kms I was getting a message to fill in some Oil.
I know that turbochargers can burn some oil so I actually did like 3-4 refills of about 300 to 400 ml of porsche recommended 0w40 synthetic oil...
A bit later when I was either driving slowly and relaxed or a bit more faster , sometimes, my car on startup was producing a white smoke cloud for like 3-4 seconds.. when I say sometimes I mean that maybe 1 in 3-4 times...
well that fact together with the oil filling needs was a red flag for me...
I took it to a shop just to have a look , and the guy there looked at it and said that the Right turbocharger seems to leaking oil as he found some oil in the external part and that the smoke produced in startup was because of it plus the extended need to fill up oil every 150 to 200 kms...

IM REALLY disappointed and feeling quite bad since I paid more than 110k for the car plus I got it though a porsche center WITH porsche approved program which means in theory that they inspect the car thoroughly
I cant enjoy the car and I'm very scared to drive it..
I will get it to the dealer pretty soon...
I NEVER raced it or used it in track.. just daily drive and sometimes a bit more faster driving in motorways.

now my questions
A) anybody else had some problems ? Is it possible that the right turbo got off by just 26.000 kms ???
B) does Porsche approved warranty cover the cost for mechanical and engine problems ?
C) if somebody had the same issues , what was the fix for the problem?
D) I'd like to hear any other suggestions for this
problem or any possible solution...

ps sorry for my possible bad English and for the big message.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:17 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Stuff happens, there area a ton of parts, seals, and electronics in these cars so things like this can happen. Get it fixed under warranty and keep driving. The cars in general are somewhat bulletproof so don't let one issue get you down at this point.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:25 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Stuff happens, there area a ton of parts, seals, and electronics in these cars so things like this can happen. Get it fixed under warranty and keep driving. The cars in general are somewhat bulletproof so don't let one issue get you down at this point.
thank you , but I just feel sad because I only have the car for like 2.5 months.. and now I cant enjoy it
I was so happy when I bought it and I was feeling so assured that since I got it through a porsche dealer and the porsche approved program it would be in perfect condition

PS : so hopefully I dont have to pay anything , correct ?
the porsche approved warranty is for 24 months

The possible affected turbocharger with some oil in it
Old 10-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I've read about some Turbo problems in the 991.2 Carrera S is some other forums (GB) but in no way they are a common thing. Strange thing is that I haven't read about any failures in the Base Carrera.

I have also read in the past about problems with the turbine shaft because of the auto start stop system. The theory is that the loss of oil pressure during a stop lets the shaft move and contact the journal bearing.

But as Penn4S mentioned...... stuff happens. Just take it to the dealer for repair under warranty.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

this is one video to show you exactly what I mean
it doesnt happen all the time but it happens like 1 every 3-4 start ups..
today for example it didn't happen , but it happened yesterday night
Old 10-31-2018, 12:40 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
I've read about some Turbo problems in the 991.2 Carrera S is some other forums (GB) but in no way they are a common thing. Strange thing is that I haven't read about any failures in the Base Carrera.

I have also read in the past about problems with the turbine shaft because of the auto start stop system. The theory is that the loss of oil pressure during a stop lets the shaft move and contact the journal bearing.

But as Penn4S mentioned...... stuff happens. Just take it to the dealer for repair under warranty.
sure this is what I'm going to do
one question : if they replace a turbo charger or any other mechanical part, does the car get depreciation or since its dealer work and under warranty doesnt matter ?
Old 10-31-2018, 01:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,355 Posts

If you get the car fixed it will not depreciate more than a car that did not have the problem so just get it fixed and enjoy it. And be glad you have a warranty for such repairs! Please make sure you let us all know what happens and what repairs were done.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:47 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Weskers05
thank you , but I just feel sad because I only have the car for like 2.5 months.. and now I cant enjoy it
I was so happy when I bought it and I was feeling so assured that since I got it through a porsche dealer and the porsche approved program it would be in perfect condition

PS : so hopefully I dont have to pay anything , correct ?
the porsche approved warranty is for 24 months

The possible affected turbocharger with some oil in it
Can sympathize totally with how you are feeling especially since you have had the car for such a short period. I do not know the warranty length in Europe but you should still be under factory warranty. The problem will be fixed and you will be cutting up the backroads again.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:13 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Can sympathize totally with how you are feeling especially since you have had the car for such a short period. I do not know the warranty length in Europe but you should still be under factory warranty. The problem will be fixed and you will be cutting up the backroads again.
I think factory warranty ended but I got the Porsche approved warranty for 24 months.
I think it covers all that issues
Old 10-31-2018, 02:14 PM
Weskers05
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If you get the car fixed it will not depreciate more than a car that did not have the problem so just get it fixed and enjoy it. And be glad you have a warranty for such repairs! Please make sure you let us all know what happens and what repairs were done.
I feel a bit better now since I know I will be covered by porsche approved warranty and it won't depreciate for this matter
I'm just a bit frustrated.. too bad
Old 10-31-2018, 02:25 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but you wrote:

“ I know that turbochargers can burn some oil so I actually did like 3-4 refills of about 300 to 400 ml of porsche recommended 0w40 synthetic oil...”

So you got a low oil message and you filled the oil up with up to 1,5 liter? After which the smoking issue started.
Is it just me or does a 1,5 liter refill seems way to much?
Old 10-31-2018, 02:26 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Weskers05
I think factory warranty ended but I got the Porsche approved warranty for 24 months.
I think it covers all that issues
No (non-salvage) 2016 Porsche with 23K kilometers should be out of warranty. If anything I suspect your warranty will cover you an extra 24 months after the original factory warranty ends.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:30 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but you wrote:

“ I know that turbochargers can burn some oil so I actually did like 3-4 refills of about 300 to 400 ml of porsche recommended 0w40 synthetic oil...”

So you got a low oil message and you filled the oil up with up to 1,5 liter? After which the smoking issue started.
Is it just me or does a 1,5 liter refill seems way to much?
Not just you. 500ml is likely all that was needed if the vehicle said minimum oil level had been reached.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:32 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

In which case the overfilling of the oil far above the maximum level could very well be the cause of the problem afterwards.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:33 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
No (non-salvage) 2016 Porsche with 23K kilometers should be out of warranty. If anything I suspect your warranty will cover you an extra 24 months after the original factory warranty ends.
Warranty varies by the country. For example, in Finland it is only two years.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera S turbocharger (?) Issue need help..