Sponsored by:

New Turbo S Cab or Targa 4GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:44 PM
trips
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunP
Trips, the spec of your car is perfect! Is that Fashion Gray?
yes it is Shaun
Old 10-24-2018, 11:45 PM
trips
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2

and if speed is an issue, consider a 991.2 all kidding aside, the sound from the targa is quite surprising. I was expecting much worse coming from a NA 991.1 GTS

that meer blau tho 😍
Old 10-24-2018, 11:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Turbo S.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:13 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Sorry to hijack, but this thread made me go look more closely at this upcoming limited edition who knows what kind of ADM there is going to be car:

THAT's a mirror.
Now I want one of these.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:17 AM
KShep
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Sorry to hijack, but this thread made me go look more closely at this upcoming limited edition who knows what kind of ADM there is going to be car:

THAT's a mirror.
Now I want one of these.
Me Too!
While trying to sneak on the allocation list for the Speedster at the Atlanta dealership where I got the 981 Spyders, I got the feeling I was not quite VIP enough to rate a Speedster. The SA did offer a December arrival allocation for a Targa 4 GTS which I enthusiastically accepted. I'm an open top guy all the way and am looking forward to joining the Targa club. Still hoping to score the unicorn though...that is one sexy mirror.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:29 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I'd also suggest a 991.1 Targa GTS based on what you said. Best sounds and rare car, might be difficult to find a used one configured the way you like
Old 12-09-2018, 01:49 AM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Same choice I contemplated

Originally Posted by bosco42
Having owned many coupes from different manufacturers I now have the urge for an open air experience.
I have the opportunity to pick up either a new 2019 Turbo S Cab or a 2019 Targa 4GTS.
I have had very fast exotics before so speed is not the deciding factor.
I am seeking the car that is more engaging, has better stock exhaust note and offers the most fun, open air driving experience.
Having a difficult time deciding and would appreciate your input as to why you feel one is more desirable than the other.
Thanks
I went back and forth over the same choice. Looked at hundreds of pictures, read every published article out there on each, culled over many forums, and visited numerous dealerships looking at the cars side by side. I ultimately concluded that the Targa GTS was the better option for me. I personally think the car is better looking than the convertible turbo S and since I don't track my cars, the speed difference doesn't really matter. However, since I was buying used. it seemed the better buy was the turbo s. You can get a 2017 turbo s $210k sticker slightly used for $180k give or take. While a $170k targa GTS was still in the $160k neighborhood. At the end of the day. I decided that the Targa GTS is a more unique, better looking and innovative vehicle than the turbo s cab. You can't go wrong with either and I am sure if I purchased the turbo s I would be just as happy (maybe more.) No wrong choice here.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:47 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Let me say this... for $1500 you could add a tune to the GTS which would make it faster than the stock Turbo. From a cost perspective, the Targa would still be less expensive and faster than the stock Turbo.

However, if you added a tune to the Turbo, you would be significantly faster, but significantly more expensive too..

If cost is no object then I would say the Turbo. If value or resale has any impact on decision then Targa.
I think the Targa looks better. Both are plenty fast, especially as speed isn't your primary consideration. The Targa mechanism is a work of art! It will depreciate less also.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:51 AM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera4esq
I went back and forth over the same choice. Looked at hundreds of pictures, read every published article out there on each, culled over many forums, and visited numerous dealerships looking at the cars side by side. I ultimately concluded that the Targa GTS was the better option for me. I personally think the car is better looking than the convertible turbo S and since I don't track my cars, the speed difference doesn't really matter. However, since I was buying used. it seemed the better buy was the turbo s. You can get a 2017 turbo s $210k sticker slightly used for $180k give or take. While a $170k targa GTS was still in the $160k neighborhood. At the end of the day. I decided that the Targa GTS is a more unique, better looking and innovative vehicle than the turbo s cab. You can't go wrong with either and I am sure if I purchased the turbo s I would be just as happy (maybe more.) No wrong choice here.
Originally Posted by raidersfan
I think the Targa looks better. Both are plenty fast, especially as speed isn't your primary consideration. The Targa mechanism is a work of art! It will depreciate less also.
I agree with both of you and purchased a new 2019 Targa 4 GTS about a month ago.
Having had a Turbo in the past I never found it exciting or engaging albeit fast.
I think the Targa is the best looking of all the 911's and is quick enough to be exciting while also offering a wonderful open air experience.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Nice to hear you joined the Targa Club! I laugh out loud when I hear people say the Targa is slow since it is heavier than the rest of the 911s. I have just 400 miles in mine and breaking it in but the one I can say is that it is not slow.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:47 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

It is far from slow! Those people are a joke.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

I dig my targa, a lot. It’s by far the best all around / all purpose 911.

Side by side

Quick Reply: New Turbo S Cab or Targa 4GTS